Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Rochdale
Tuesday 12th January | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland) - The last time he officiated us was December 2018, our 2-0 home win against AFC Wimbledon where he sent off Sarr in the first minute.

Introduction
It's been a long time since we played on a Tuesday night, 41 days in fact by the time we kick-off at 7pm. In that period, we have won only one game, scored 10 (four of which came in 45 minutes in that win) and conceded 12, including 2 in each of our last 5. The form and performances have been poor to say the least, those stats highlighting the issues, and pressure is mounting. We all have our own opinions, but what we must remember is tough times don't last, tough people do. Bowyer has been accused of many things during this run, but one thing we know for sure is that he is tough, and I believe he will get this right. A single win could change the whole complexion. Thankfully, we have the opportunity to get that on Tuesday when we take on our next opponents, Rochdale.

Opposition
Manager: Brian Barry-Murphy (34.1% win rate)
Stadium: Spotland Stadium (Crown Oil Arena)
League Position: 21st | Last 6: DLWLLW
Nickname(s): The Dale

Rochdale played Crewe Alexandra at home on Saturday, drawing 3-3, their last line-up was:

Bazunu
Keohane | O'Connell | Roberts | Done
Newby | Morely | Lund | Rathbone
Humphrys | Beesley

Rochdale's result on Saturday shows how topsy-turvy this league can be. 3-0 down at half time but a fantastic turnaround brought them level with a late equaliser. Not exactly what we would've hoped for going into Tuesday's fixture as no doubt that will have given them some much needed confidence. Rochdale currently sit 21st, occupying the final relegation spot in the league. The Dale are the definition of a club who belongs at the lower echelons of the professional game. That's not any disrespect, they've spent 8 of last 16 seasons in League One, the other 8 in League Two. Well, in fact, they've only ever spent their time in the third or fourth divisions of the professional game. Their record against the current top half stands at 1 win, 3 draws, and 6 losses. We all will be desperate to add more misery to a side who has struggled since the departure of Ian Henderson. The former Dale striker averaged almost 20 goals a season in League One, but moved across Greater Manchester and dropped down a division to Salford City in the summer. Those goals arguably were the reason they maintained their stay at this level, and as we all know, losing a goalscorer at any level is very difficult to replace or recover from.

Some may say it's not exactly a lack of goals that have been the problem for Rochdale. A 4-0 win away at Plymouth in early December was followed up with a 5-0 win away at Wigan 2 weeks later, both coming on Tuesday nights. So they do have goals in them. Again shown most recently in scoring 3 goals in a half to draw against Crewe. But their ability to lose big and ship goals has put them in this position. Also in the month of December, they lost 4-1 twice, away at Peterborough and at home to Gillingham. However, if you take out the two big wins mentioned, Rochdale have only scored 17 goals in 17 games. They most certainly do miss Ian Henderson.

Let's take a look at Rochdale's strengths and weaknesses... In terms of strengths, only 3 players have got a higher goal contribution in the league than Matthew Lund. The midfielder, who is also capable of playing from wide positions, has scored 8 goals and has 2 assists from 18 appearances this season, a total goal contribution of over 38%. It looks as though if we manage to keep him quiet, we stop of a lot of the Dale's good play and threat. Rochdale keep a consistent squad, something that we all know Bowyer has not had since we got promoted last time. They also change from only two formations, a flat 4-4-2 or a more solid 4-5-1, so players know each other well enough, and will know the job that is required of them. Dale also try to play through the middle as much as they can, they're not too strong down the sides, so ensuring we are much better in the middle of the park is so important for this fixture. In terms of weaknesses, just like Shrewsbury, Bowyer should have noticed that Rochdale defend their six yard line well but are not strong defending the edge of their box. Getting runners from midfield will likely see some joy for us. Rochdale are also very weak in the air, one of the lowest performing sides in fact in the league. Not having the aerial strength of Inniss, Famewo, and Pratley could be a big miss in this one. Finally, Rochdale really struggle to play against teams who try to play football, or are quick on the break. Their non-pressing or aggressive style invites teams to play through them and get the ball wide. With slow transitions, if teams win the ball and get it wide, you're likely to have a lot of space against this Rochdale side.

Charlton Team News
Many Charlton supporters have made up their mind, "Bowyer has lost the dressing room and has lost his ability that he had shown so often since taking the job in March 2018". You're completely entitled to that and that's fine. However, I disagree. The performances and results have been poor, but when you look where we were only 3 months ago, we all would've taken the position we're in now. Some decisions have been strange, but you can't say he played anyone out of position last time out. Yes, Bowyer was extremely honest and let rip into the players after the dismal display on Friday night, maybe some of what was said was too harsh, but emotions were raw and he was saying much of what we as supporters were feeling.

In terms of personnel, unless we sign anyone before the game on Tuesday, the squad will remain the same other than Marcus Maddison's recent ankle injury. Darren Pratley serves the second of his three match ban whilst Ben Watson, Andrew Shinnie, Ryan Inniss and Akin Famewo all remain sidelined. Alfie Doughty is expected to complete his move to a Championship club this week.

With our inability to keep a clean sheet, and how soft and sloppy we were in defence on Friday, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowyer deploy a 3 or 5 at the back formation. It will be a shame as Rochdale struggle against teams who play a 4-3-3, but needs must. We can't be having to score 2 or 3 each game just to get a result. This should see Gunter move into right centre-back whilst Matthews comes into right wing-back. That extra protection should see us more compact and less vulnerable if our midfield gets caught beyond the phase of play, or a single pass takes them completely out of the game, something that happens far too often.

Liam Millar impressed on Friday from the left wing, whilst Aneke made an impact coming off the bench at half time. We will need more than just those two if we are going to get a result, and after stern words from Bowyer, it's time now for the players to step up.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Gilbey, Williams, Smyth, Schwartz, Bogle

Prediction
A reaction is needed, so desperately needed for this game. But what also needs to happen is that we stop shipping so many soft goals. With the squad almost picking itself, we need the players to step up and get a win to kick on. An early goal should calm the nerves and any anxiousness that they're likely to be feeling. Let's hope we get that, and the 3 points stay in South East London on Tuesday. I have to be positive.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Rochdale
Aneke
Millar
Schwartz

Comments

• Great preview as always @Sage... Nice to be able to take a break for a game!!

Is the sort of team I'd go for - With such a shakey defence Id go with five at the back, not sure if I'd have them as wing-backs though
  • Great preview as always @Sage... Nice to be able to take a break for a game!!

Is the sort of team I'd go for - With such a shakey defence Id go with five at the back, not sure if I'd have them as wing-backs though
    Only time I have to put the preview together.

I think we need to shore up at the back so 5 could be needed. How would you have them as a 5?
  • edited January 2021
    Sage said:
    Great preview as always @Sage... Nice to be able to take a break for a game!!

I think we need to shore up at the back so 5 could be needed. How would you have them as a 5?
    Exactly the same as how you've lined them up - With how Morgan was so ineffective yesterday I'd swap him for Gilbey 

I had gone for the below in another thread but didnt think of Washington so would have him start ahead of Smyth

Amos
    Matthews . Gunter . Oshilaja . Pearce . Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey . Gilbey
    Miller
    Washington . Aneke

Only trouble (that I'm already aware of) is if you even go with that sort of formation where the wing-backs hold back as full-backs then you're already inviting a lot of space in front of them to the opposition - So think yours is better.

Other factor which isnt great though is the fact that regardless of who you pick between Gilbey / Morgan you're running the risk that both can go missing in games so unfortunately in the sense of protecting the defence Bowyer is almost picking the lesser of two evils
  • The centre mid pairing of JFC and Morgan is very weak but there aren't many options at the moment. Is Vennings injured? I thought when he made his last sub appearance he looked really bright and had come on loads since last season. Not seen him since. 
  • edited January 2021
    Talal said:
    The centre mid pairing of JFC and Morgan is very weak but there aren't many options at the moment. Is Vennings injured? I thought when he made his last sub appearance he looked really bright and had come on loads since last season. Not seen him since. 
    Saw a picture of him laughing with Famewo on here about a week ago

Both were in shorts and t-shirts and looked like they were in trainers so presumed they were both under going recovery together

• So you predict we beat Bristol Rovers 3-1. What about Rochdale? 
  • So you predict we beat Bristol Rovers 3-1. What about Rochdale? 
    Thanks, edited now.

It’s because I copied and pasted the layout from my last preview and that was the only part I didn’t delete.
  •                   Amos
    Mathews  Gunter.  Pearce  Maatsen    
                Oshi       F-Caskey
       Smyth                Millar
             Chucks.    Washington 
  • Desperate to get three points no matter how. I fear the poor run might continue and think we will succumb to a narrow 1-0 defeat. Have to start with Aneke up front and hope he can do the best part of the entire game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton 1-4 Rochdale.
  • I'm just glad I don't have to go to the game on a cold Tuesday night! 
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
                      Amos
                Oshi       F-Caskey
             Chucks.    Washington 
    That’s a 5-1-4 formation if you play players in the more natural positions. 

But admire you trying to think of something to make the midfield less vulnerable by putting Oshilaja there and still having attacking players.
  • Nothing less than a 6-0 win is going to appease me. Not looking forward to this, at all
  • edited January 2021
    Talal said:
    Redrobo said:
                      Amos
                Oshi       F-Caskey
             Chucks.    Washington 
    You want to see Oshilaja at centre mid after all the talk about playing players in correct positions. 
    You may have talked about it, but I did not and didn’t agree. I thought most of what was said was crap to be honest. 90% blamed the wrong player for the needless free kick and based their comments on that. Kinda made it all a bit of a joke really.

Anyway, playing Oshi in front of a back four is hardly playing him out of position. Sage has him as the centre of a back three. I have moved him three feet further forward as Dale come down the middle and we haven’t got Pratley or Watson to play that role. I think we should engage them further up the field. Oshi has the pace and the defensive nous to play that role and it will not be new to him.
    I think three at the back leaves us light if they play five in midfield and Oshi and FC playing deep will give the other two midfielders licence to play a freer role and encourage the backs further up the field if they know that there is someone to fill in for them, and enables us to play two up front. We need a win and we are at home.
  • We've tried Oshilaja in midfield before and it didn't work. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Talal said:
    Redrobo said:
                      Amos
                Oshi       F-Caskey
             Chucks.    Washington 
    You want to see Oshilaja at centre mid after all the talk about playing players in correct positions. 
    You may have talked about it, but I did not and didn’t agree. I thought most of what was said was crap to be honest. 90% blamed the wrong player for the needless free kick and based their comments on that. Kinda made it all a bit of a joke really.

Anyway, playing Oshi in front of a back four is hardly playing him out of position. Sage has him as the centre of a back three. I have moved him three feet further forward as Dale come down the middle and we haven’t got Pratley or Watson to play that role. I think we should engage them further up the field. Oshi has the pace and the defensive nous to play that role and it will not be new to him.
    I think three at the back leaves us light if they play five in midfield and Oshi and FC playing deep will give the other two midfielders licence to play a freer role and encourage the backs further up the field if they know that there is someone to fill in for them, and enables us to play two up front. We need a win and we are at home.
    Can he pass cooly under pressure though... He's a bit of a lump it clear, worry about where its gone next kind of player

Nothing wrong with that approach as a Centre-Back but difficult to build any momentum from in Midfield
  • God knows

probably 1-1 and a frustrating night as we toil to no avail 

I’ve absolutely zero confidence in the team at the moment.  

Amos 

Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Maatsen

Gilbey JFC Millar 

Aneke Washington 
  • Redrobo said:
    Talal said:
    Redrobo said:
                      Amos
                Oshi       F-Caskey
             Chucks.    Washington 

Can he pass cooly under pressure though... He's a bit of a lump it clear, worry about where its gone next kind of player

Nothing wrong with that approach as a Centre-Back but difficult to build any momentum from in Midfield
    I think that is a bit harsh and in my team he would have FC next to him and wide men, and given our defensive issues at the moment a lump down the channels maybe a plus 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Rochdale were losing 0-3 at half time today and came back to draw 3-3 so they have more fight in them than we have shown recently. 

We should be winning games like these with ease but I am going with 1-1
  • I think we/Bowyer will have a ready made excuse for when (if) we don’t win..........

Trevor Kettle 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Will have to watch this from behind the sofa, we absolutely at all costs have to do everything to score first because we won't keep Rochdale out and we all know now what happens when the opposition score first.
  • Well Dale will get 2 obvs. I wonder if we will score.
  • Sage said:
    Charlton Athletic v Rochdale
    Tuesday 12th January | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
    Live on Valley Pass

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Gilbey, Williams, Smyth, Schwartz, Bogle

Prediction
    A reaction is needed, so desperately needed for this game. But what also needs to happen is that we stop shipping so many soft goals. With the squad almost picking itself, we need the players to step and get a win to kick on. An early goal should calm the nerves and any anxiousness that they're likely to be feeling. Let's hope we get that and the 3 points stay in South East London on Tuesday. I have to be positive.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Bristol Rovers
    Aneke
    Millar
    Schwartz
    Like this lineup, can't see it happening.

I think it'll be 

Amos
    Gunter - Oshilaja - Pearce - Matthews
    Maatsen - F.Caskey - Gilbey
    Schwartz - Washington - Millar

And a 2-1 loss.
  • Sage said:
    Great preview as always @Sage... Nice to be able to take a break for a game!!

Exactly the same as how you've lined them up - With how Morgan was so ineffective yesterday I'd swap him for Gilbey 

I had gone for the below in another thread but didnt think of Washington so would have him start ahead of Smyth

Amos
    Matthews . Gunter . Oshilaja . Pearce . Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey . Gilbey
    Miller
    Washington . Aneke

Only trouble (that I'm already aware of) is if you even go with that sort of formation where the wing-backs hold back as full-backs then you're already inviting a lot of space in front of them to the opposition - So think yours is better.

Other factor which isnt great though is the fact that regardless of who you pick between Gilbey / Morgan you're running the risk that both can go missing in games so unfortunately in the sense of protecting the defence Bowyer is almost picking the lesser of two evils
    Gilbey is dreadful, I’d rather see Morgan who is young and keen and needs games to improve.
  • Sorry but I just do not feel confident about this game unless Bowyer has produced a magic wand from somewhere. 
     Forget about the injuries - that is not the only thing weakening us. You expect whoever is out on the pitch to pull together but just isn't happening at the moment. 
     I've said many times that I am a fan of LB but he is not above criticism. And I think his public slagging off of players is not doing him any favours. Now he needs to get them back on side.
     Was deeply unhappy with Friday's result and posted that it was goodbye to the play-offs. But, having calmed down, I realise that, three months ago, I would gladly have taken where we sit now.
     There are plenty of games to go so, come on Lee - weave that magic.
  • If recent team selections are anything to go by I think you can put the names in a hat and pick them out, however I think Sage has picked the line up I'd like to see. Three centre backs makes sense with both Watson and Pratley missing.