Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Flight incidents

This thread is intended to look into the background and potential preventions of aircraft accidents.  It is absolutely not intended to be a mawkish or intrusive discussion into lives lost in airline incidents.  Instead, it can be a place to dissect, discuss and discover how and why airline incidents occur, how they're investigated and what should be done to ensure they are as infrequent as possible.  

Comments

• Sriwijaya Air (no, I have never heard of them) flight #SJ182 lost more than 10,000 feet of altitude in less than one minute, about 4 minutes after departure from Jakarta. 

Reports say 62 people were on board.

• If a passenger flight is reported as having come down, or having been lost, the Global Distribution Service that runs the airline's Airline Reservation System manually purges the passenger data, so that the numbers and details of passengers on board cannot be 'bought' or acquired by the media.  It's an early alert that something has gone badly wrong, because the media - especially the British press - have an insatiable thirst for knowledge about individuals caught up in accidents. 
  • edited January 2021
    My understanding is that airline incident investigations and consequent safety standards are the best there are.  They are used as a model for incident investigation in many other industries and services.
  • edited January 2021
    My understanding is that airline incident reviews and consequent safety standards are the best there are.  They are used as a model for incident investigation in many other industries and services.
    If anyone says "a model aeroplane?" or words to that effect I will hunt you down.

Just saying.
  • Notice that in this particular incident it wasnt a 737 MAX that has gained such a bad reputation of late

Instead was a 737-500 which has been in operation now for about 30-years
  • edited January 2021
    Just on early viewing I would hope they check the maintenance logs, airframe deformation is designed as such that you will have time to identify cracking or stess on the airframe prior to failure, so if it passed an inspection recently I'd be very surprised. 
  • Sponsored links:

• To lose more than 10,000 feet in less than a minute is highly suspicious.
    I am no expert but that would seem like the plane nosedived at, or nigh on, full throttle......curious?
  • clive said:
    We’ll there’s one to give us all a lift...
    Thinking of starting a thread. 

How did you feel when your dog got run over. 
    Ruff
    Bit like the joke... What does a Cat sound like when its been ran over - MEEEEOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Sorry to derail the thread!!
  • LTKapal said:
    My understanding is that airline incident investigations and consequent safety standards are the best there are.  They are used as a model for incident investigation in many other industries and services.
    The line of accountability is quite impressive, every single screw and small component has to be signed off as fit for use and leaves a paper trail all the way from instillation to designer so if something does go wrong you can find out exactly where and who's door the blame lies at. 
    Am always fascinated by people's backgrounds on here at times

Mind me asking how you're aware of things sort of thing - Is it purely through interest or genuine work?
  • edited January 2021
    LTKapal said:
    The line of accountability is quite impressive, every single screw and small component has to be signed off as fit for use and leaves a paper trail all the way from instillation to designer so if something does go wrong you can find out exactly where and who's door the blame lies at. 
    I think also a learning culture which is less about finding someone to blame (unless there is clear blame to be assigned) and more about what could have been done and what should we do to stop it happening again?  The highest performing organisations have this, the worst have everyone looking over their shoulder in fear and spending half their time covering their arses,
  • Chizz said:
    Sriwijaya Air (no, I have never heard of them) flight #SJ182 lost more than 10,000 feet of altitude in less than one minute, about 4 minutes after departure from Jakarta. 

Reports say 62 people were on board.

I0,000 ft in 4 minutes is a rapid climb from departure.  Are you sure about the height 
    Seems fine for an aircraft like the 737
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    If a passenger flight is reported as having come down, or having been lost, the Global Distribution Service that runs the airline's Airline Reservation System manually purges the passenger data, so that the numbers and details of passengers on board cannot be 'bought' or acquired by the media.  It's an early alert that something has gone badly wrong, because the media - especially the British press - have an insatiable thirst for knowledge about individuals caught up in accidents. 
    Sadly the passenger manifest of this flight was being sent around WhatsApp groups in Indonesia very quickly. Presume media picked it up from this. 
  • 10,000ft in less than a minute? Fuck thattttttt. How the hell did the pilot manage to control the plane after that? And 4 minutes after take off suggests to plane wouldn’t be much higher than that anyway.
  • 10,000ft in less than a minute? Fuck thattttttt. How the hell did the pilot manage to control the plane after that? And 4 minutes after take off suggests to plane wouldn’t be much higher than that anyway.
    I imagine the pilot may not have had much control at that stage. 
  • LTKapal said:
    LTKapal said:

Mind me asking how you're aware of things sort of thing - Is it purely through interest or genuine work?
    Work, I did when I first left uni, freelance work as an aerospace engineer ( which my degree is in) got contracted to look at blackbox data and correlate the data to speculate on areas of failure.
    How many black box data analysts are there ? 
  • LTKapal said:
    LTKapal said:

Work, I did when I first left uni, freelance work as an aerospace engineer ( which my degree is in) got contracted to look at blackbox data and correlate the data to speculate on areas of failure.
    That's seriously impressive. 
    👍👍
    Yeah, but he's since jacked it in and now delivers pizzas
    Flight path and speed and altitude graph of flight SJ182
  • LTKapal said:
    I'll probably be involved in this in some regard much like I was on the 737Max stuff  so I'll try and keep people updated, all I'll say is the safety record of a 737-500 is very impressive but it is 25 odd years old. 
    This specific aircraft was originally delivered on 31 May 1994.
  • Chizz said:
    10,000ft in less than a minute? Fuck thattttttt. How the hell did the pilot manage to control the plane after that? And 4 minutes after take off suggests to plane wouldn’t be much higher than that anyway.
    Flight path and speed and altitude graph of flight SJ182
    Sorry I’m being a dope, I didn’t realise it crashed, I thought the pilot managed to recover.