Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager, realistic options

Bowyer talking like he's lost the dressing room and the plot. 

If it's gone that pear shaped and he walks/gets the sack, who would you want to take his place?

A couple of nominees in my eyes...

1. Johnnie Jackson

The obvious choice, probably. He's been around the club through thick and thin, knows the players and would have respect from a lot of people around the club.

2. Jason Euell

Has done a lot of good things with the youth setup, and recent work with England youngsters shows he's got something about him.

Anyone else catch the eye? A couple of years ago I would have said Paul Tisdale. Gareth Ainsworth too, though I can't see him dropping a division and leaving a club he's had a long association with for us.

Comments

• edited January 2021

Glen Riddersholm
  • If Eddie Howe can be got.....
    Nah I know.
    Jason Euell worth consideration, and Jacko I suppose.
    Hard to see what's to be done.

• I’m not fully Bowyer out yet but if we are talking tried and tested in the league it would have to be Paul Cook. 3 promotions with 3 teams.
  • Cowley, Cook or Ainsworth?
  • Cook going to Chef Wednesday 
  • bobmunro said:
    Cowley, Cook or Ainsworth?
    Cook is talking to Sheffield Wednesday
  • Sponsored links:

• Cowleys. 

Nathan Jones

• Cowleys. 

Nathan Jones

Is Jones out of a job again? 
  • Id love to see Chris Powell come back again. (Puts tin hat on). He has got unfinished business at Charlton.

I suspect the dressing room needs a little love. Powell would be perfect for that. And i find it hard to believe that with his bubbly personality he couldn't get these players playing again.

Football wise, he has also got more than enough about him to get us out of this league.
    That is bonkers. The whole reason of getting rid of a negative manager isn’t to replace him with another! 
  • bobmunro said:
    Cowley, Cook or Ainsworth?
    Cook is talking to Sheffield Wednesday
    And has been for a few days, not convinced it will happen. 
  • LTKapal said:
    Cowleys. 

Nathan Jones

Is Jones out of a job again? 
    Hell no... He's back comfortable in mid-table with Luton in the Championship
  • edited January 2021
    Hopefully it could be someone credible we have never heard of like say Brentford, Norwich or Southampton's last appointments and not a lazy internal appointment or gizza-job journeyman manager.

Eddie Howe would be a dream appointment and might just be tempted given the set-up and location.
  • I don't know who but with an enthusiastic owner like TS I think we'd get a bigger name than you'd expect. 
  • Don’t think Jackson should be considered, and euell would need too much time. 

Not many league one managers I’d pinch, but could be a few further a field.

jorge Costa? 
    I see Claus Jensen is managing now, could he be worth a shot? 
     Shaun Bartlett has experience in management, as does Herman hreiðarsson- even Di Canio! 

Think it’s time to go for someone without a Charlton connection however 
  • Sponsored links:

• Id love to see Chris Powell come back again. (Puts tin hat on). He has got unfinished business at Charlton.

I suspect the dressing room needs a little love. Powell would be perfect for that. And i find it hard to believe that with his bubbly personality he couldn't get these players playing again.

Football wise, he has also got more than enough about him to get us out of this league.
    That is bonkers. The whole reason of getting rid of a negative manager isn’t to replace him with another! 
    Not at all. Powell built a team with a team spirit I don't think I have ever witnessed before, or since, at the club. Given that we have good players, I can only surmise that the reason they are not performing is because they are seriously pissed off with the manager. Powell could easily be the man to rebuild their spirit and get them performing again.

Yes, I agree that towards the end Powell went too defensive. Hopefully he will have learnt from that. But don't forget he had built a team that with just a little investment could have really challenged for a promotion spot from the Championship. Instead the rug was pulled out from under him. And we all know what happened next. 

The Powell debate has been done to death on here and right now is probably the wrong timing given the debate should revolve around Bowyer. However, i do agree with some of your points, particularly that league 1 season where we were superb. What we would do for that team spirit now.

I have a lot of time for Chris Powell but i think he's a limited manager who has done very poorly with other clubs since he left us. Massive step backwards imo. 
  • Where's that Appleton gif?

Paul Cook for me, but possibly Mark Bowen
  • Can't go for an untried and tested manager.

We have to go for proven quality in these league. Paul Cook for me. 
  • I like the idea of Jason Euell, especially over Johnnie Jackson.
    Very successful with the youth teams - Proven quality coaching there. 
  • Valley11 said:
    I’d stick with Bowyer for now. But Eddie Howe would be the pick if you could sell him the 5 year plan and pay him enough. 
    Agree - he showed with his failed Burnley move that he is tied to the south coast for family reasons so to the extent he needs/wants to work his choices are limited.  
  • edited January 2021
    sammy391 said:
    Don’t think Jackson should be considered, and euell would need too much time. 

Not many league one managers I’d pinch, but could be a few further a field.

jorge Costa? 
    I see Claus Jensen is managing now, could he be worth a shot? 
     Shaun Bartlett has experience in management, as does Herman hreiðarsson- even Di Canio! 

Think it’s time to go for someone without a Charlton connection however 
    I love the guy for what he did at Charlton but I wouldn’t want Claus as our Manager. He’s not exactly pulling up trees here in Denmark.