Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has Bowyer lost it?

I’ve always been backing Bowyer but tonight’s selection and tactics were appalling. 

Sky Sports reported that we makes the most changes in the starting lineup. That’s really worrying! I don’t think Bowyer knows his best team this season.

Bowyers solution was to place 1 striker with another striker at half time!

Pains me to say this but I’m really starting to lose patience with him. Appreciate what Bowyer has done and his loyalty and the difficulty he faced but he’s had backing now and not using his players correctly.

Won’t be sad if he gets the sack but if I was Thomas Sangaard I’ll give him a final warning. 

Comments

• He just looks lost.
  • If we don’t win Tuesday I’d sack him. The players look like a lost set of individuals and they are not that bad. 
  • He gets the rest of the season but if we don't look like getting close to top six, he's out the door.
  • Bowyers fault imho because we are so disorganised.
  • edited January 2021
    That has officially moved me to the dark side, was still 100% behind Bowyer, and still think he might be a good manager down the line but I just don't think he's what we need right now. Something just isn't quite right at the moment in the squad.

I don't even really completely blame him, I think the last few years has taken so much out of him to help create what we are at the moment, a really negative team.

With Sandgaard, it really feels like there should be so much positivity around the club right now, even the small things like the Valley Match Pass with Minto it really feels like a new dawn for us. But negativity is contagious and Bowyer just seems really out of place in that mood and vibe.

Our current team just doesn't seem well built for a salary cap limitations. Our best player is Aneke and he can't be trusted to play 90 minutes, let alone 2 games in a week. Williams is Williams. Maddison seemed a nice luxury signing, but a luxury signing in an incomplete team with a salary cap is bad management (that is on Gallen as much as Bowyer). We need to have a strong group of about 15 players who can play 38 games+ each, but we have just got so many who don't seem fit for that and need to be constantly rested, or accommodated for.

Bowyer will always be a legend for the last few years, and being at Wembley for the last Sunderland game is by far my best moment following the club but we're a different club now than we were then, and I think we need to bring someone new for that journey to start again with a pretty big overhaul.

I could soon look a complete moron in picking my trust in Sandgaard rather than Bowyer in a few years, but it does feel that way would lead to more success.

I have always had some slight reservations about him even in the 100% support belief I had that he should keep the job, with the little things like how he treats some players like Albie agitating me, but also that side that went up from League One with Bielik, Aribo, Lyle Taylor the further we get away from that season, seem like players who probably could have gone up automatically rather than via the playoffs, that might be for another thread though for that debate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there a team with a better squad than ours in this league? If there is there won’t be more than one.

Bowyer looks tired, maybe last season and the follow summer took it out of him. I love him but he needs something big to turn this around. I don’t think he has it this time. 
  • Weirdly, for the first time, he’s got resources and stability.  But doesn’t look comfortable with it, you can tell somethings not right because the players and management look like they've fallen out.

Another thing worth noting, is if this squad were mapped out player for player and assessed by pundits etc, it probably comes out as one of the best squads in the league.

Those two points ring alarm bells for me, I hate witch hunts and I hate bandwagons.  But I’m slowly edging towards the “bowyer out” brigade.

And if it’s gonna happen it’s gotta happen ASAP!
  • Why is everyone willing to give him until the end of the season?

His man management has been appealing this season. His tactics have been just as bad and it would appear, in my opinion, the players aren’t playing for him now and that’s just a recipe for disaster.

If we don’t act now the season will be gone and we’ll lose our better players in the summer and winning promotion will be so much more difficult.

The players are some of the best in this division. Play them correctly and we’ll get promoted.
  • Sandgaard said play offs was the bare minimum.  If the form is as bad in the next 3 weeks,  they will be out of reach.

Said it before but the body language is wrong. This happens when a manager outs players in public but not others. Matthews,  Morgan, Williams and Bogle outed,  yet no criticism for the multiple Gunter errors.  Will be interesting to see if he slags Pearce off tonight. 
  • His loyalty over the last two years have earned him this season and a good crack at next. 
    Don’t agree at all. Despite how shit we’ve been the play offs are easily achievable. Don’t see why we just let that go. Even worse giving him next season, sorry that’s just stupid. 
  • Tonight was a watershed as I don’t think we’ve looked that bad at home for awhile. 
    Curbs ? 
  • I said after the Hull game i'd give him the next 6 games to the end of January, 4 of which are at home. However after that performance tonight, i'd be temped to get rid of him if we lose again on Tuesday.

10 points from 10 games with 17 conceded is relegation form. It's pretty obvious he's not getting the best out of them and it almost looks as if some players aren't even trying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its a completely different task for Bows now. Whereas before anything was a bonus, now we have resources and the expectation is top 6 at least. We just don't look like a team. Bowyer deserves the chance to turn this around so should be given the end of the season and then see where we are...
  • Vfrf said:
    se9addick said:
    Just said on the post match that I’m starting to think Bowyer was the right man at a bad time, but he isn’t the right man at this time. 
    I equally wonder at times whether we are the right club for some of our fans. I’m amazed how some just can’t deal with us ever losing games, only ever see ‘Dogshit’ and how they come to decide on a club like Charlton in the first place!

I think there’s been a catch 22 circle of too much chop / change, but equally individuals not performing when giving the opportunity, leading to more chop / change. There’s no real partnerships and combinations throughout the team formed that you can clearly see in a settled side like Accrington and MK Dons (who on paper are not better than us).

Injuries have been a massive factor, but also some of the signings are starting to look questionable. Bowyer has to decide on some combinations and hang his hat on them for the next few games. If it turns out not good enough  then his position starts to increasingly look untenable imo. 
    You might be fine performing like this week-in-week-out when teams like Plymouth, MK and Accrington are playing us off the park, but I'm not. 
    Never said I was fine with it mate 
  • I want Bowyer to succeed here, but from what I've seen this season I just can't see him getting us promoted. Too negative, tactics questionable.

If your Sandgaard watching this from afar every week you'd think what is the big deal about him? 
  • Think Hull and Accrington will be in top 4 come end of the season. So not that annoyed with the last two results, but other performance have been terrible.

Huge game against Rochdale coming up next for Bowyer.
  • se9addick said:
    Just said on the post match that I’m starting to think Bowyer was the right man at a bad time, but he isn’t the right man at this time. 
    I equally wonder at times whether we are the right club for some of our fans. I’m amazed how some just can’t deal with us ever losing games, only ever see ‘Dogshit’ and how they come to decide on a club like Charlton in the first place!

I think there’s been a catch 22 circle of too much chop / change, but equally individuals not performing when giving the opportunity, leading to more chop / change. There’s no real partnerships and combinations throughout the team formed that you can clearly see in a settled side like Accrington and MK Dons (who on paper are not better than us).

Injuries have been a massive factor, but also some of the signings are starting to look questionable. Bowyer has to decide on some combinations and hang his hat on them for the next few games. If it turns out not good enough  then his position starts to increasingly look untenable imo. 
    You're about where I was two or three weeks ago.
  • Think Hull and Accrington will be in top 4 come end of the season. So not that annoyed with the last two results, but other performance have been terrible.

Huge game against Rochdale coming up next for Bowyer.
    Long season and a few injuries will hurt a small squad like Accrington. 
  • We need something to change but not the manager. He needs help, our coaching numbers are light! 

We need a first team coach, someone with experience and someone that can give the players a bit of a lift
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!