Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amazon Firestick Advice

I’ve got an Amazon Prime account that I use with Alexa and Prime TV. I have a tv and thought about getting a firestick for it but want to know if the firestick will also allow me to view the free to view channels like BBC, ITV etc etc.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Yes it will. I'm not techie but I got one in their recent sale for £25 and really like it.
  • You lucky, lucky b*stards!

I tested my broadband speed a couple of days ago - 1.1 Mbps download and 0.37 Mbps upload. I then followed that with an acerbic and highly sarcastic email to BT customer services (no reply as yet!!).

• Be aware that the stick does not take its power supply from the USB port on your TV. You need to plug it into the mains as well. Make sure you've got a handy spare socket.

When you say "view" I take it you mean "stream from the catch-up services"? You might as well get your regular TV through your aerial mightn't you?

And, finally they are not up to 4k "just" HD. So if you were interested in future-proofing yourself something like the Roku or Fire TV product might be a better bet?
  • cafcfan said:

Be aware that the stick does not take its power supply from the USB port on your TV. You need to plug it into the mains as well. Make sure you've got a handy spare socket.

When you say "view" I take it you mean "stream from the catch-up services"? You might as well get your regular TV through your aerial mightn't you?

And, finally they are not up to 4k "just" HD. So if you were interested in future-proofing yourself something like the Roku or Fire TV product might be a better bet?

Yeah I've got a Amazon Firestick, which is in my HDMI 1, then i have Sky in the HDMI 2, and normal Freeview through the aerial.
  • edited August 2018
    Anyone know if you can route the fire stick through a VPN? I currently use a VPN to watch iPlayer, All4 etc through a laptop plugged into my telly. Would be nice to ditch the laptop though and just use a something like an Amazon Firestick.

Do you think I’d need to buy a UK fire stick to get the relevant TV apps preloaded, or could i buy one in Canada and load the iPlayer app onto it afterwards?
  • Anyone know if you can route the fire stick through a VPN? I currently use a VPN to watch iPlayer, All4 etc through a laptop plugged into my telly. Would be nice to ditch the laptop though and just use a something like an Amazon Firestick.

Do you think I’d need to buy a UK fire stick to get the relevant TV apps preloaded, or could i buy one in Canada and load the iPlayer app onto it afterwards?

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-vpn-on-a-firestick-ipvanish-vpn/

Don't blame me if you brick it!
  • Hey guys
    Any ideas, have a firestick 4k and whenever I try to connect to my wifi it freezes up?

The network is saved but won't connect, as soon as I click it, it greys out the options and you have to click home to do anything, but the network remains unjoined. 

Any tips appreciated. 

Cheers

• I’ve got an Amazon Prime account that I use with Alexa and Prime TV. I have a tv and thought about getting a firestick for it but want to know if the firestick will also allow me to view the free to view channels like BBC, ITV etc etc. Thanks in advance
     Blimey Shooters. I read this quick and had to double check you hadn't written it in 1963
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Hey guys
    Any ideas, have a firestick 4k and whenever I try to connect to my wifi it freezes up?

The network is saved but won't connect, as soon as I click it, it greys out the options and you have to click home to do anything, but the network remains unjoined. 

Any tips appreciated. 

Cheers
    Ignore - now working fine.