Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gerry Marsden RIP

edited January 2021 in Not Sports Related

Gerry Marsden of Gerry And The Pacemakers has died age 78 

Comments

• Sleep tight, Gerry.

You'll never walk alone.
  • sounds of the 60s .. R I P
  • Sad, sad news. RIP Gerry.

• RIP Gerry. Musical icon. 
  • Was only watching him on YouTube last night...saw him about  6 or 7 years ago, wasn't well then but did a great show and had a good old rib with the crowd.
  • Very sad. 

Gerry Marsden was a real sixties icon. I was lucky enough to see him perform three or four years ago and he still put on a good show.

RIP
  • His place in Liverpool folklore is secure. I’m sure that he would like that. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP, an icon of the Merseybeat sound
  • RIP, saw Gerry and the Pacemakers perform in a solid silver sixties show in Scarborough in the 80s/90s along with The Searchers and Peter Sarsted. Gerry performed brilliantly with a band of youngsters. The Searchers were great too.
  • RIP.
    An icon with rather an arch (in a good way) voice.
  • Ferry across the Styx for one!

Sad day, good singer in a good band.
  • RIP Gerry. Musical icon. 
    This RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s a real choker. Loved his hits in the 60s and hearing YNWA belting out at Anfield remains a treasured, spine tingling memory of a fantastic away day in the Premier League days. RIP Gerry. 
  • Very sad that and what a song that was/is. RIP Gerry. 
  • For the older posters...

was YNWA ever sung at The Valley?

Was listening to an interview yesterday where it was said it always much more a song that was sung around most football grounds in the 60s, including Man U. As was all the popular songs in the charts at the time.

What changed was when Shankly did a Desert Island Discs on radio and named this as one of his favourite songs. It then started to get associated with Liverpool much more. 

Was listening to an interview yesterday where it was said it always much more a song that was sung around most football grounds in the 60s, including Man U. As was all the popular songs in the charts at the time.

What changed was when Shankly did a Desert Island Discs on radio and named this as one of his favourite songs. It then started to get associated with Liverpool much more. 
    Watching the Big Match again recently I have been struck that it was sung at many grounds in the early 70s.
    I can only remember singing the version that went;
    You’ll never walk again!

Yes we sang it in the 70's, with a lot of clapping in it.
    Walk on (clap clap)
    Walk on (clap clap)
    With hope (clap clap)

I think you get the picture.
  • RIP Gerry.

Made probably the best cover version of all time.