Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sacked in the morning ??? (Workplace Covid issues)

edited January 2021 in Not Sports Related
Hiya. Looking for some advice pls. I work for a small social housing provider who i feel are putting me, my family and residents at added risk of covid. As my usernams says im a gas engineer. Part of my daily tasks is to carry out yearly gas checks in residents homes. My issue is they started to send me to 10 plus properties today to carry out checks that dont expire until end of april. I called my boss this pm to say what happens if i say no, i wont attend. im happy to complete emergancy work and certs that are close to expire, his responce is i agree fully, but you will be sacked as i will be refusing to comply with company policy. I feel they taking the p if im totally honest.  Is a gas check that has 4 months left to run really essential work. my argument is In april the infection rate could be alot lower than now = less risk.  If shit hits fan tomorrow morning do you guys feel i have a case for unfair dismissal even if i walk away for safety. I know many others are at greater risk than me but i feel very strong im correct.
Im going to call the HSE tomorrow morning aswel for advice. Thanks and sorry for the boreing read .

Comments

• edited January 2021
    This is a question and not a criticism - but if you're being careful, taking full precautions and wearing the correct PPE then what is the issue?
  • Gasman said:
    Hiya. Looking for some advice pls. I work for a small social housing provider who i feel are putting me, my family and residents at added risk of covid. As my usernams says im a gas engineer. Part of my daily tasks is to carry out yearly gas checks in residents homes. My issue is they started to send me to 10 plus properties today to carry out checks that dont expire until end of april. I called my boss this pm to say what happens if i say no, i wont attend. im happy to complete emergancy work and certs that are close to expire, his responce is i agree fully, but you will be sacked as i will be refusing to comply with company policy. I feel they taking the p if im totally honest.  Is a gas check that has 4 months left to run really essential work. my argument is In april the infection rate could be alot lower than now = less risk.  If shit hits fan tomorrow morning do you guys feel i have a case for unfair dismissal even if i walk away for safety. I know many others are at greater risk than me but i feel very strong im correct.
    Im going to call the HSE tomorrow morning aswel for advice. Thanks and sorry for the boreing read .
    Didn't you have this problem early on in the pandemic?
  • Are you self employed? 
  • Employment Rights Act 1996 (legislation.gov.uk)

There must be more people in your situation
  • This is a question and not a criticism - but if you're being careful, taking full precautions and wearing the correct PPE then what is the issue?
    good question , we are very careful but not many residents are. only a few times has a resident put a mask on for example. and no matter how much PPE I use its not 100%. 
    the attitude of some is shocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gasman said:
    If you follow all guidance on safe social distancing and clients are advised to do same it seems reasonable to attend. Issue might be what happens if  you feel unsafe because clients aren’t keeping out of your  way and you want to leave the particular appointment. As far as I appreciate guidelines  work isn’t currently limited to only essential/ emergency activity. 

Tonight’s announcement may or may not influence what work can be carried out. 
  • Are you self employed?  employed
  • Gasman said:
    Didn't you have this problem early on in the pandemic?
    not really no. we are so far ahead of compliance works it was so much more relaxed. but we had to use contractors to catch up in the summer so cost a lot of money.
  • lol just checked my post for spelling, need my goggles on
  • Gasman said:
    You should only be doing Essential work only I’m in the same boat as work for t water we tell them plus got Union on our side
  • Nothing to add apart from speak to your Union & listen to what Boris says tonight.

( Surely I can't be the only one who opened this thread thinking it was about Bowyer )

I got "your getting sacked in the morning, sacked in the morning" stuck in my head now. 
  • Just tell them you couldn't get access.
  • This is a question and not a criticism - but if you're being careful, taking full precautions and wearing the correct PPE then what is the issue?
    What about the risks to the people who live there. They won't be wearing PPE and I would imagine people from outside their household should be avoided unless there is an emergency.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boris guidance says to work from home if you can, but what if you can't. I'm a frontline NHS community and hospital based worker so can't invite all the patients to my house. Instead I go to theirs. Patients don't have to wear PPE but we wear it. I feel for anyone that gets anxiety about it. The debate on my work WhatsApp group tonight is filled with staff totally going into meltdown about a lockdown. Not one worker is avoiding visiting patients. 

Wife got Covid the week before Christmas. She was quite ill but went back to work yesterday. 

All I can say is do all you can to protect yourself. Your employer has a responsibility to provide you with equipment suitable to protect you. You have the responsibility to wear it and follow the guidelines. My wife (community nurse) managed around 7-8 months of seeing patients daily (confirmed positive) in their own homes before contracting the virus. 

Just use common sense. This virus is a killer. Don't be lakse with you hygiene and PPE. 
  • Sorry about my thread title lol. 
    Just had email from work to say all work to continue as planned. So even this new lockdown not changing them. Twats
  • Forward the email to your local TV news
  • Fumbluff said:
    Forward the email to your local TV news
    But read the bottom of the email first to see what it says about confidentiality.
  • Rig your bosses flat.  Gas explosions happen all the time...
    He lives in the flat above
  • Gasman said:
    Boris guidance says to work from home if you can, but what if you can't. I'm a frontline NHS community and hospital based worker so can't invite all the patients to my house. Instead I go to theirs. Patients don't have to wear PPE but we wear it. I feel for anyone that gets anxiety about it. The debate on my work WhatsApp group tonight is filled with staff totally going into meltdown about a lockdown. Not one worker is avoiding visiting patients. 

Wife got Covid the week before Christmas. She was quite ill but went back to work yesterday. 

All I can say is do all you can to protect yourself. Your employer has a responsibility to provide you with equipment suitable to protect you. You have the responsibility to wear it and follow the guidelines. My wife (community nurse) managed around 7-8 months of seeing patients daily (confirmed positive) in their own homes before contracting the virus. 

Just use common sense. This virus is a killer. Don't be lakse with you hygiene and PPE. 
    I hope you and your wife keep well through this time. I do feel the actions of companies like mine add to the spread of the virus and risk to frontline workers . No doubt i could be a super spreader even if i dont know it.
    I'M 1 guy visiting 10 jobs per day. 50 per jobs a week. I'm 1 of 150 staff on the road visiting homes . Thats 7500 homes. So we are potential super spreaders of this virus , thats why non essential work should be scrapped.
    Are you saying your firm carries out 7,500 CP12s a week?

I assume you are working for several HAs to be having to carry out that volume of gas safety checks a week - most of whom will not accept a CP12 renewal that is less than 10 months old.

I know the HA I last worked for with 45k properties would only pay for new CP12s between 11 to 12months, allowing a four week window for planning and logistical purposes. These were part of the KPIs of the gas servicing contract and were financially penalised just as much as an overdue CP12.

I assume you work for S***e Heating?
  • No not all cp12. I used as a average. We are all direct employed plumbers, sparks , gas , asb officers etc. Clearly some guys wont be doing 10 jobs per day. My ha have a 9 month policy for gas. It mad really.  No not s@#$%e heating. Im direct paye with HA.
  • Ask them whether they have a duty of care to their customers and staff?
  • Will let you all know what the outcome is tomorrow. Cheers