Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Broken TV Screen

So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Anyone know how much it will cost to repair instead of replacing the whole thing and getting a new one?

Comments

• edited December 2020
    I think the technical term is "fucked". At least (I hope) he didn't hurt himself....

• So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Anyone know how much it will cost to repair instead of replacing the whole thing and getting a new one?

Getting a new one can be difficult and time consuming, obedience school is a lot cheaper. 

On a serious note, I think it will be easier to get a new one. Always deals on these days. 

I remember someone I knew, their son smashed their tv several times with a plastic hammer playing Bob the Builder... Similar screen to yours, his dad didn't take it well, at all. 
  • Huskaris said:
    So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Getting a new one can be difficult and time consuming, obedience school is a lot cheaper. 

On a serious note, I think it will be easier to get a new one. Always deals on these days. 

I remember someone I knew, their son smashed their tv several times with a plastic hammer playing Bob the Builder... Similar screen to yours, his dad didn't take it well, at all. 
    Nah I've not taken it well either

Are we allowed to sell the old annoying ones on the Marketplace section of CharltonLife? 
  • Richer sounds doing some good deals at the moment. 
  • edited December 2020
  • Agree with the other posters. Get a new one.
    How old is the TV and what size?

You should have the new TV secured to the wall with a safety strip or perhaps consider to have it wall mounted.
  • edited December 2020
    Same happened to me about a month ago . Definitely will cost too much to repair. I claimed on my home contents insurance and they paid out into my bank within 48 hours. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Danepak said:
    Agree with the other posters. Get a new one.

You should have the new TV secured to the wall with a safety strip or perhaps consider to have it wall mounted.
    So its about seven years old at the very least... 32 inch

Wall mounted is something we want to do but I'm useless at DIY so won't want to do it myself... In addition its against a plasterboard wall so not sure if it will hold the weight

Thanks for the suggestion about Safety Straps and @Spitfire76 for showing a picture, something so very simple yet something I've never thought would exist!!
  • edited December 2020
    Danepak said:

Wall mounted is something we want to do but I'm useless at DIY so won't want to do it myself... In addition its against a plasterboard wall so not sure if it will hold the weight

Thanks for the suggestion about Safety Straps and @Spitfire76 for showing a picture, something so very simple yet something I've never thought would exist!!
    A new TV will be a lot lighter in weight and a plasterboard won't be a problem. See it as an opportunity to get a bigger screen. 😉
  • So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Are you sure this isn’t an image from your most recent acid trip? 
  • This is the TV you were watching v Plymouth, when you thought Bowyer did nothing wrong, isn't it?

:smile:
    Haha knew a comment like this was coming ;)

Not going to lie the optimistic side of me did sit there for a few minutes hoping that something it would suddenly start working 
  • I had a screen replaced under warranty that went all regency stripes on me.  No matter what you tried watching all that came up was the 97/99 Viglen third kit. I saw the invoice that went to the warranty company - cost more than the TV.  Surprised they just didn't replace it.
  • Danepak said:

How far away do you sit from the wall?
    Without being an AV expert, trying to work out if something larger than 32 inch is justifiable (I’m pretty sure it is).

Get someone else to wall mount it. Ensure they know what they’re doing. You don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night with a TV lying on the floor.
    You won’t regret. Looks great and it also frees up space on top of the cabinet.

If you’ve got a window behind you, ensure the wall mount has got tilt. Ensures you won’t have glare issues.

Also, would you like to be able to sit elsewhere in a nearby room (let’s say the kitchen) and watch the TV? Then get a swivel TV wall mount. Just beware that the TV will sit further from the wall with one of these.

• Huskaris said:

Are we allowed to sell the old annoying ones on the Marketplace section of CharltonLife? 
    If a 32 inch set is all you need, go down to your local supermarket. You can pick one up for about £130. 
  • Safety straps on amazon about £10 & worth every penny.

I see your doing the old conker trick to keep spiders away !
  • Sponsored links:

• New one - dirt cheap now. 
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

Without being an AV expert, trying to work out if something larger than 32 inch is justifiable (I’m pretty sure it is).

Get someone else to wall mount it. Ensure they know what they’re doing. You don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night with a TV lying on the floor.

If you’ve got a window behind you, ensure the wall mount has got tilt. Ensures you won’t have glare issues.

Also, would you like to be able to sit elsewhere in a nearby room (let’s say the kitchen) and watch the TV? Then get a swivel TV wall mount. Just beware that the TV will sit further from the wall with one of these.

So currently sit no more than 2m from the TV...

My wife's issue with getting another 32 inch rather than going 43 inch is the fact that we do want it to go on the wall eventually and we both think it would look silly up there
  • Huskaris said:

If a 32 inch set is all you need, go down to your local supermarket. You can pick one up for about £130. 
    It will a piece of crap for £130.
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

So currently sit no more than 2m from the TV...

My wife's issue with getting another 32 inch rather than going 43 inch is the fact that we do want it to go on the wall eventually and we both think it would look silly up there
    I would still go minimum 40 inch.
    Have you compared the screens side by side in an AV store?
    No matter what you choose, ensure it’s 4K (UHD).
    I personally prefer Sony as it’s Android and gives you access to the Google Playstore (which has far more apps than Samsung and LG’s, to name a couple).

If you want to spoil yourself, consider a soundbar. Doesn’t have to be expensive. I got the Sony HTS350.
    I got one mounted under the TV (you need a special mount for this) with a subwoofer on the floor. The sound quality is amazing and when you switch it off and compare it to the TV speakers, you wonder how you ever survived without it 😂. Especially if you watch a lot of films, it’s worth it. And you can also use it as a Bluetooth speaker for streaming from the phone (Spotify etc.).

(Sorry, went a bit off-track with the soundbar).

• There’s also Samsung’s The Frame.
    Available in 32 inch.
    A piece of art, when the TV is switched off.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/lso3tb-32-inch-the-frame-full-hd-smart-tv-charcoal-black-qe32ls03tbkxxu/

• Cheers @Danepak... Love the Frame by Samsung

£400 for a 32 inch TV though compared to 43 inch prices at the moment is very hard to justify though
  • This is the TV you were watching v Plymouth, when you thought Bowyer did nothing wrong, isn't it?

:smile:
    Exactly my thought. No wonder why you've been so vociferous in your backing of Bowyers team selections. You did know we were kicking towards the JS stand first half...?
  • edited December 2020
    Great price, but wouldn’t a 4K TV make more sense, if he plans to have the TV for many years to come (future proof).
  • Cheers @Danepak... Love the Frame by Samsung

£400 for a 32 inch TV though compared to 43 inch prices at the moment is very hard to justify though
    Yep, agree. Steep price tag.

One more thing. If you wall mount the TV, then maybe see how much it would cost to have a couple of power points (and antenna wall plug) installed behind it. Then you avoid having cables hanging.

If it’s not an option, then ensure cables are capped, to make it look tidier.
    If the TV is near your router, consider to have an Ethernet cable running to the TV, as a hardwired connection is more reliable than WiFi.