Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Edrich RIP

Former England batsman John Edrich has died at the age of 83.

The left-hander played 77 Tests for England, making 12 centuries and finishing with an average of 43.54.

A Surrey legend, he made 39,790 runs from 564 first-class matches, including 103 centuries - one of only 25 men to score 100 first-class tons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55445972

Comments

• I met him a couple of times. 
    A true gentleman and a proper cricket hero of mine. 
    RIP.
  • Sad news about a very talented player from my younger days. RIP.
  • RIP John, he was a great batsman, very old school!
  • edited December 2020
    RIP, just before I got into cricket, a proper batsman
  • Sad news, I grew up With Geoff Boycott & John Edrich opening the batting for England.
  • Sad news, I grew up With Geoff Boycott & John Edrich opening the batting for England.
    Followed by Barrington, Cowdrey and Dexter.
  • iaitch said:
    Sad news, I grew up With Geoff Boycott & John Edrich opening the batting for England.
    Followed by Barrington, Cowdrey and Dexter.
    I must be a bit younger.
    I seem to remember Denness, Fletcher, Greig & Knott etc.
  • edited December 2020
    A real quality opener - brave and technically sound.
    Boycott and Edrich must rank up there with England's best ever opening partnerships. 
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't he score 300 plus in a test match, or is my memory playing tricks.

RIP John Edrich.
  • John Edrich. That’s a blast from the past. Great opening batsman. He and Boycott. RIP John. 
  • Didn't he score 300 plus in a test match, or is my memory playing tricks.

RIP John Edrich.
    52 boundaries, 310
  • Very sad. Probably my first cricket hero, having played in the first match I ever saw. Regarded as a dour, gritty opener but he had some great shots in his repertoire. RIP John.
  • RIP John...
  • Edrich and Boycott could take the shine off any new ball.
    Great memories of school summer holiday's watching test cricket on tv, one camera directly behind the stumps at one end only.
    The game seemed better then, much like football through schoolboy eyes.
    Rest in Peace John Edrich.
  • My first cricketing hero and the reason I have supported Surrey for the last 50 odd years. Very sad news, RIP John Edrich.
  • One from my childhood, RIP JE...

Ok youngster,
    I grew up watching WG Grace and Jack Hobbs, but Boycott and Edrich were born to open the batting in the days when the idea for England was to be 40-0 at lunch on the first day.

John Edrich was a Surrey and England Legend.
    RIP.
    Yep, same for me. A really gritty batsman.
  • Sponsored links:

Yep, same for me. A really gritty batsman.
    Me too. 

Sad day.
  • Like others, my earliest memory of watching Test cricket was the openers Boycott and Edrich

RIP
  • Great batsman. RIP
  • He was my very first cricket hero...he was batting at the first match I went to ,Surrey v Middlesex on a rainy day at the oval, my first proper bat was a 2lb 8oz john edrich bat from copus sports....he hardly ever let England down may he rest in peace 
  • Also RIP Robin Jackman, aged 75  :(
  • Jackers and Edrich on the same day. Effing ell.
  • Used to watch Edrich and Compton at Lords.   Awesome pair
  • Robin Jackman - another Surrey legend.
    Fine bowler and the loudest appealer in county cricket.
    Met him once in Brisbane during the '92 world cup.
    Lovely guy.
    RIP.