Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Tees RIP

Comments

• Options
    You sure?
    Test out how the versions scan.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    seth plum said:
    You sure?
    Test out how the versions scan.
    I am ... but more importantly, I remember singing it in the Covered End 
  • Options
    Maybe you need to knock out the word 'ever'?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe you need to knock out the word 'ever'?
    Ah yes, that’s it ... just ran it through my head, and that’s the correct version 
  • Options
    Oh boy......what a warrior, best header of the ball in the entire country during his era without a doubt.
    I don’t expect to see a better one.....Kermorgant was great but Matt was the very best of all.
    Brave, thin as a rake, no front teeth, knocked down continuously but somehow he struggled up and carried on. I may be wrong but I can’t remember him having a poor injury record.
    Loved every minute watching him......certainly a Valley legend.😢
    Great post.
    Sums him up perfectly. 
  • Options
    The Tom Morris colour picture of Matt against Middlesbrough (I was there, 2-2 draw) on the back of the latest Voice of the Valley is more or less perfect.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The Tom Morris colour picture of Matt against Middlesbrough (I was there, 2-2 draw) on the back of the latest Voice of the Valley is more or less perfect.
    A magnificent shot of Matt and the old East terrace in all its glory. I think we actually won that one 2-0, Seth. I wasn’t at the game, as we were travelling up to relatives in the Midlands for the Easter weekend but we got up there in time to listen to the full commentary on BBC Radio 2 - Charlton v Boro being the commentary game broadcast nationwide that day.

I was at The Valley when we beat Cardiff 4-1 the day before in a late morning/midday Good Friday kick off. I seem to recall that Matt Tees scored two towering headers in the first half and we were something like 4-0 up at half time.

We got the coach connection back from Birmingham on Easter Monday, where Charlton were coincidentally playing their third match in four days. The pace of the game was obviously slower in those days but I recall no talk whatsoever of rotation or player fatigue, although I’m sure it was a factor with poor and heavy pitches far more common.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could be right about 2-0 thinking about it. I do remember that season had too many home draws, otherwise we would have gone up.
  • Options
    How we never went up that year has always been a mystery to me. We were the best team in that  league .  Such great memories. I remember standing on the north bank at Highbury at 1pm full of Charlton fans.
     Thanks for some great times and wonderful memories Matt Tees. 
  • Options
    from the club minutes held in the Museum.

No light shed on how the joint fee for Tees and Green was split but does give their sky high wages of £30 PW plus £5 if in the first team.

Note that both would be living in club houses walking distance from the Valley.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We won 2-0
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    from the club minutes held in the Museum.

No light shed on how the joint fee for Tees and Green was split but does give their sky high wages of £30 PW plus £5 if in the first team.

Note that both would be living in club houses walking distance from the Valley.
    By  comparison the average wage then was £890 a year or just over £17 PW so Tees and Green were earning roughly twice the average.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You could be right about 2-0 thinking about it. I do remember that season had too many home draws, otherwise we would have gone up.
    Yes, too many draws - and missed penalties, including one in the 3-3 draw at Selhurst Park. I remember that we missed two in the last home game against Preston which we lost 1-0, although I'm sure there were others
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes, too many draws - and missed penalties, including one in the 3-3 draw at Selhurst Park. I remember that we missed two in the last home game against Preston which we lost 1-0, although I'm sure there were others
    Just had a quick look-up in “ Home and away”.

As far as I can make out the only other penalty we missed was against Aston Villa at home during a 1-1 draw. Assuming that we had scored all the penalties and there were no more additional goals in the games concerned, we would still have been a point behind Palace and they would have been promoted.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Blucher said:
    seth plum said:

As far as I can make out the only other penalty we missed was against Aston Villa at home during a 1-1 draw. Assuming that we had scored all the penalties and there were no more additional goals in the games concerned, we would still have been a point behind Palace and they would have been promoted.
    I’m sure you’re right but it felt like more than that.

I do remember that the first game of the following season was at The Valley against Preston and we contrived to miss yet another penalty against them. Deep into the second half we were awarded another and Paul Went mercifully thumped it home for the winner.
  • Options
    .seth plum said:
    That was October 1967, I believe. I remember we'd played the unbeaten League leaders Portsmouth a few days before, and after going a goal down, thrashed them 4-1. We then played Middlesbrough in a 2-2 draw at The Valley the following Saturday.

Was that the game 17 year old RB Bobby Curtis scored his 60 yard wondergoal (or was that in another 2-2 draw versus Carlisle a couple of weeks later) ..... ?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Blucher said:
    Mametz said:
    Blucher said:
    seth plum said:

I’m sure you’re right but it felt like more than that.

I do remember that the first game of the following season was at The Valley against Preston and we contrived to miss yet another penalty against them. Deep into the second half we were awarded another and Paul Went mercifully thumped it home for the winner.
    Now you mention it, I remember that as well.

With regard to Harry Gregory’s miss at Palace, I was low down right behind the goal. I was 12 years old and it was the first away game I was allowed to go to with my mates without parental, or older brother, supervision. Terrific game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Tees and Green partnership showed signs of real promise when they first arrived.

At corners and free kicks they would start at the edge of the penalty area and run and jump at the edge of the goal area.

Their ability to hang in the air meant a decent cross would be met with powerful headers towards goal. So hard to defend.

None of today's shirt pulling and wrestling.

Sadly injuries split the partnership on many occasions.

Great memories.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A short obituary in yesterday's Guardian online - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/18/matt-tees-obituary

Matt was a god at Grimsby, as is illustrated by this 2018 article in 'Cod Almighty' - http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6782

I always felt that Eddie Firmani made a a big mistake in selling him on to Luton Town in 1969. With all due respect, Gordon Riddick was hardly an adequate replacement.
    That is an understatement. 
    This was before my time and listening to supporters in that era Tees and Treacy was probably our best partnership in the 60's.

What I can't understand is why did we sell Tees and also that he dropped to the Third tier. Why couldn't he attract a better club? 
  • Options

• Options
    get it right Rick.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    get it right Rick.
    Rick who?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    .seth plum said:
    That was October 1967, I believe. I remember we'd played the unbeaten League leaders Portsmouth a few days before, and after going a goal down, thrashed them 4-1. We then played Middlesbrough in a 2-2 draw at The Valley the following Saturday.

Was that the game 17 year old RB Bobby Curtis scored his 60 yard wondergoal (or was that in another 2-2 draw versus Carlisle a couple of weeks later) ..... ?

The Bob Curtis 60-yarder was scored in the 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough ... past Willie Whigham, as I recall.

Curtis took a free-kick just inside our half (right hand side and towards the Covered End).  It bounced somewhere around the front of the penalty area and ended up in the net.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    get it right Rick.
    Rick who?
    Derrrrr
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:
    get it right Rick.
    Rick who?
    Derrrrr
    Thanks for your informative reply!
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Oggy Red said:
    .seth plum said:

The Bob Curtis 60-yarder was scored in the 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough ... past Willie Whigham, as I recall.

Curtis took a free-kick just inside our half (right hand side and towards the Covered End).  It bounced somewhere around the front of the penalty area and ended up in the net.
    Cheers, Dave. I had remembered the goal clearly enough but couldn't quite recall if it was that Middlesbrough game or the next home game, v Carlisle, which was also a 2-2 draw.

53 years ago, blimey. When I was a lad ....... !

• Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:
    get it right Rick.
    Rick who?
    Derrrrr
    Thanks for your informative reply!
    I’m sorry I assumed you knew Rick Everett producedthe fanzine.