Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Streaming Services - Hidden Gems & Chilled Watching

Thought it may be worth starting a thread for those hidden gems in the streaming services. 

Some of those that surprised me

NowTV
9-1-1

- Shocking acting predictable stories, but somehow enjoyable 
The Rookie
- Another with questionable acting, but Nathan Fillion carries the show well. 

Netflix
Rust Valley Restorers

- Not good tv but I love a muscle car and have learned of ones I never knew about in this series. Owner of the workshop is a very typical hoarder. 
The Last Kingdom 
- An enjoyable twist on history. Well worth a watch if you liked Vikings. Think it was bought off the BBC.

Amazon Prime
Vikings
- Blood violence and decent acting for the most part... Also Lagertha.
The Boys
- Nice twist on the Superhero genre

Sure some of these aren't greatly hidden, but they are all decent enough for some chilled watching.

Comments

• Having not gone near the Netflix series for fear of being immersed, I finally bowed to the recommendations of a mate of mine. The best one, which I finished on saturday afternoon, and went back to the start of on sunday, is The Queen's Gambit. Absolutely amazing tale of a young orphan who turns out to have a gift for Chess. It's well acted, a roller coaster ride, well shot, and the ending is sublime. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
    His other rcommendations were also good. The Last Kingdom was a good saga about vikings in England in what was the dark ages - it seemed to cover the point where several small kingdoms merged into England, and was again, both visually and story wise, a really enjoyable saga. White Lines both caught me up and annoyed me - it was good enough to keep me watching until the end but also had enough ffs moments to make me wonder whether I really needed to know how it ended. It also left enough untied threads to allow the possibilty of a really weak second season.
    I'm now on The Crown as Mrs Shabby fancied it. It's splendidly well done, but a few of the historical inaccuracies are a bit baffling. But it's got me hooked for the moment, though really I just fancy a wet afternoon, a blanket and binge watching The Queen's Gambit to be honest.
  • A second vote for The Queen's Gambit.  The chess was well-researched and is well done on screen.

For those who enjoyed The Vikings, be sure to check out Norsemen ... a fine parody.
  • Oh boy Lagertha  <3
  • Lagertha (Kathryn Winnick) is a stunning woman. 

Animated gif about gif in TV series by Dracarys
  • Dave Rudd said:
    For those who enjoyed The Vikings, be sure to check out Norsemen ... a fine parody.
     Really hated Norseman at first... Then it grew on me and I really enjoyed it. 
  • Norseman is funny but has sadly been cancelled. 

Loved the following recently:

Big Mouth
    The Queens Gambit
    The Crown
    End of the f***ing world
    Start Trek Discovery 
    Atypical
    Aunty Donna's Big Old House Of Fun (wasn't sure of this at first as it's a bit.... odd)
    Dick Johnson is Dead
    Community (was originally on TV in the states, not sure if it made it over here. I watched all episodes again, still funny now)

The Boys
  • Glovepup said:
    Norseman is funny but has sadly been cancelled. 

Loved the following recently:

Big Mouth
    The Queens Gambit
    The Crown
    End of the f***ing world
    Start Trek Discovery 
    Atypical
    Aunty Donna's Big Old House Of Fun (wasn't sure of this at first as it's a bit.... odd)
    Dick Johnson is Dead
    Community (was originally on TV in the states, not sure if it made it over here. I watched all episodes again, still funny now)

The Boys
    Season 4 has been cancelled, but S1, 2 and 3 are still available.

No bad thing as Season 3 wasn't great ... but there is joy to be gained from the early episodes.  
  • Looks safe to say that if there was a vote Queens Gambit would win series of the year for 2021, even beating the lesser mentioned Unorthodox which was nearly as good.
  • OZ on Sky catch up. 

hard hitting Prison drama from HBO. don't recommend for those who are easily offended. 

was on channel 4 but very late in the night when it first was aired. which doesn't surprise me as the sopranos was also aired late in the evening on channel 4. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Lagertha (Kathryn Winnick) is a stunning woman. 

Animated gif about gif in TV series by Dracarys
    Strong gif choice, however early seasons Lagertha covered in the blood of her victims is next level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just noticed all of Futurama are on sky catch up. that's my Christmas viewing sorted.