Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

How many players do we need to bring in, and what positions do you think we need to fill, please no injury prone signings please!!

Comments

• As there is the possibility that two of our better players - Famewo & Maatsen - could be recalled, I think Gallen will need to have a few options to replace them up his sleeve. We don’t want to be in the same position we were last season when Conor left.

I can’t think of who, but we deffo need a goal scorer, as I can’t see our current forwards getting 20 between the 4 of them.
  • Two recognised centre halves, three if Famewo leaves, a left back and a centre forward who can score. Pigs may fly....

I'd say it's time to clear out a few bodies but nobody would take them, either for free or for a fee under the current climate.....we are stuck with what we have eating up valuable salaries.
  • As a minimum we need a stand out striker who we can expect to play regularly and one or two who can add pace to our midfield.
  • TEL said:
    Two recognised centre halves, three if Famewo leaves, a left back and a centre forward who can score. Pigs may fly....

I'd say it's time to clear out a few bodies but nobody would take them, either for free or for a fee under the current climate.....we are stuck with what we have eating up valuable salaries.
    No need for a left back and only one CB needed to replace Innis.
    Striker is number 1, probably 2 as Bogle ain’t up to it and aneke fitness isn’t guaranteed. 
  • I am not sure we need a clear out.  We need a striker and to get more out of those we have already whom have under performed these last few weeks.
  • I said it back in September & nothing I've seen so far has made me change my mind. 2 strikers (1 being a small, deadly finisher of half chances, the other a more powerful hold up player - basically clones of BWP & Kermorgant). Winger(s) with pace & who can take on players and finally a playmaker in midfield. Someone who can take a game by the scruff of its neck & turn a 0-0 into a 2-0 win.

Where those players are I haven't the foggiest or how you bring them in without breaking the wage cap. But that's not my job. 
  • I am not sure we need a clear out.  We need a striker and to get more out of those we have already whom have under performed these last few weeks.
    To get players in we need to get players out......wage cap.

• J BLOCK said:
    TEL said:
    Two recognised centre halves, three if Famewo leaves, a left back and a centre forward who can score. Pigs may fly....

No need for a left back and only one CB needed to replace Innis.
    Striker is number 1, probably 2 as Bogle ain’t up to it and aneke fitness isn’t guaranteed. 
    and if Maatsen leaves? Purrington would be the only left back.
  • I don't see Maatsen going back, he's an 18 year old getting decent game time, after all Jay DaSilva spent  a year and a half with us in L1

Famewo will probably go back, so we'll need another CB.

We definitely need another striker, but then I thought that back in October

In midfield we seem to have loads of players, but not a good balance yet. Bowyer needs to find a way of fitting in the creative players like Maddison and Williams OR if he feels we need another midfielder, he'll need to move an existing player on first
  • TEL said:
    I am not sure we need a clear out.  We need a striker and to get more out of those we have already whom have under performed these last few weeks.
    To get players in we need to get players out......wage cap.

Appreciate that but genuinely think that if our team was ticking then we are one striker short.  Gallen says we have a little wriggle room in the budget, if we need to trade one other I suspect it will be Doughty given he seems unlikely to sign a new contract assuming anyone would buy him given his injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hasn’t Gallen said we’ve pretty much already got one through the door, with a second looking likely 
  • Pace is what causes sides problems in this league , without Doughty we really lack that. An out and out pacey winger would be perfect and a striker , however I realise the January window is hardly easy to get strikers in the door.
  • A pacy striker, like Leko was.

Another winger instead of playing Washington out wide.

Another central defender, right sided if Famewo stays, left sided if he's recalled and then maybe another on top of that.

Sell a couple of players, Oztumer will leave I think, controversially I'd also cash in on Williams if possible, Bowyer has an issue with him at the moment and I genuinely can't see what he brings to the team other than drawing fouls, which we never take advantage of anyway
  • TEL said:

So if Famewo leaves you want 3 central defenders...

When fit we'd then have Pearce, Inniss, Oshilaja, Barker, Gunter and 3 others to play there. Don't you think 8 is excessive? Taking Gunter and Barker out that's still 6 centre halfs, in a squad of 25 that's basically a quarter of the team
  • Not if you consider Iniss is out for a while, Famewo may well go back, Oshijilaja is shit, Barker is 17, Gunter is a right back and Pearce is 33 and prone to more niggles 

If we are thereabouts in January then get a bloody good striker in and hopefully there’s a way of giving him a promotion/goal scoring bonus at the end of the season without breaking the wage cap

If Doughty stays there should be enough creativity in that midfield but at the moment there seems to be a lot of square pegs and round holes, not sure Bowyer really knows his best midfield even now 
  • why are so many people certain famewo is leaving?
    Norwich apparently have a bit of an injury crisis in defence with a couple of longer term absentees. 
  • Not if you consider Iniss is out for a while, Famewo may well go back, Oshijilaja is shit, Barker is 17, Gunter is a right back and Pearce is 33 and prone to more niggles 

If we are thereabouts in January then get a bloody good striker in and hopefully there’s a way of giving him a promotion/goal scoring bonus at the end of the season without breaking the wage cap

If Doughty stays there should be enough creativity in that midfield but at the moment there seems to be a lot of square pegs and round holes, not sure Bowyer really knows his best midfield even now 
    With the wage cap we won’t have that much depth in any position, it’ll mean having little or no depth somewhere else on the pitch.
    Norwich apparently have a bit of an injury crisis in defence with a couple of longer term absentees. 
    They sent him out to get experience, he has played 10 games.

norwich are top of the league with parachute money. They are just as likely to sign someone as they are recalling an inexperienced 21 year old. (Hopefully)

• Sponsored links:

• I'll echo what other people have said in that, if Bowyer continues to play the way he does, we need another attacking player with pace.

Don't really care to much for another striker if they're never going to get any decent service. 
  • I don't think we currently have enough footballing nous with the way we're playing to be so narrow, so I'd like to see us bring in a bit more width. We have Washington, Doughty, Smyth and Maddison for the wide areas. Doughty is long term injured, Maddison isn't an out and out winger with pace, so that leaves us short in that area and a bit slow. I think sending Levitt back and possibly moving on Williams would free up a bit of space in the squad for us to look at a striker and a winger, but we could also benefit from a centre half with Inniss's injury length still unknown. This cap really makes movement in the window difficult so we'll probably be looking at young loanees or players who could be moved on for nothing if they're not getting a game in their current team. It'll be interesting to see how many signings there are across the league in this whole window. I don't think it will be a lot, possibly we'll see more player exchanges than we have in the past.
  • Gallen said two players, one of whom they think is already nearly done, plus cover if loanees leave.

I think it will be an attacking centre midfielder/No 10 and a striker.

I personally think there is a young box to box goal scoring midfielder who could bring some energy to our midfield at Mansfield but doubt we can afford him.
    You think he's ready to come back?
    He's done fantastic for them.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I have to say Lapslie seems to be doing very well. 

I would welcome him back... Especially if it ends the Pratley/Watson midfield 
    If it’s one in, one out, who would you get rid of? Levitt?
  • edited December 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    I have to say Lapslie seems to be doing very well. 

I would welcome him back... Especially if it ends the Pratley/Watson midfield 
    If it’s one in, one out, who would you get rid of? Levitt?
    Yep. Not our player and Bowyer clearly doesn't seem keen.
  • Leuth said:
    Let's put loyalty and sentiment aside: I love how someone we know has poor passing and ball control and who's doing well at the bottom of League Two will definitely sort out our midfield, whereas a Wales first-team regular who's been awarded MOM on one of his three league appearances so far should be fucked off because he's not one of our own, or something 
     Both because he's not one of our own and Bowyer doesn't seem to fancy him anyway.

If he's not getting on the pitch (Covid aside) why keep him?