Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifying draw

The one you've all been waiting for...not.

Anyhow, it's this coming Monday at 5pm on Sky Sports I believe.

Would any of the England away regulars have a preference for any teams in the draw? Decent away days? 

There is a chance England could be drawn in a group with Wales as well as either Scotland, Northern Ireland or Ireland which could be fun. Would probably like to avoid Poland from pot 2 and Norway from pot 3, but then again would be good to has some competitiveness to it. 

What a rise it's been for Luxembourg too, up into pot 4 now after some good results in the nations league. You'd like to think they wouldn't cause us too many problems...

Pot 1: Belgium, France, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands

Pot 2: Switzerland, Wales, Poland, Sweden, Austria, Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey, Slovakia, Romania

Pot 3: Russia, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Czech Republic, Norway, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Scotland, Greece, Finland

Pot 4: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Israel, Belarus, Georgia, Luxembourg

Pot 5: Armenia, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Lithuania, Latvia, Andorra

Pot 6: Malta, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino

Comments

• Hasn't this been made a bit more complex due to the nations league? As in who needs to do what to qualify? 
  • edited December 2020
    Hasn't this been made a bit more complex due to the nations league? As in who needs to do what to qualify? 
    It means that Belgium, Italy, Spain and France will all be in a group of 5 rather than 6, to make space for the nations league finals in October next year. 

It also means that some sides who performed well at the UNL and then fail to qualify through their group for Qatar, will be given a lifeline to qualify for the world cup through the play offs. I think Wales would fit into that category. 

There are probably a few other permutations that I don't know about but i think thats the crux of it.

• Poland, Russia, Bosnia, Armenia and Moldova would be a shit group in terms of tough games and travel.

Wales, Scotland, Albania, Andorra and San Marino would be a piss easy group.
  • Here is my guess, will be the same old.

England
    Slovakia
    Czech Republic
    Slovenia
    Lithuania
    San Marino

I really couldn't think of a more boring group.
  • edited December 2020
    Hasn't this been made a bit more complex due to the nations league? As in who needs to do what to qualify? 
    Ten qualifying groups. If you win your qualifying group, you’re in. That takes 10 of the 13 spots allocated to UEFA.

If you come second, you’ll join the nine other runners up and the two best Nations League teams group winners (who didn’t already finish first or second in a qualifying group) to form a 12 team playoff round. The teams will be drawn into three groups of four and a semi final / final bracket will be used to determine the remaining three qualifiers.

Should it come to it, England are ranked 9th in the Nations League behind France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Denmark and Germany.
  • That’s not right Callum. It’s only nations league group winners. So England are not ranked 9th. 
  • edited December 2020
    You’re right I missed the group winners only part. :-)

Either way, makes it very simple for us. If we win our group we qualify. If we come second we go into a playoff with a semi final and a final.
  • When are the games going to be played ?? I'm assuming that there will be 2 games every International break - surely they are not going to try & fit in 3 are they ?  What space is there in the calendar?  When does the WC take place- Dec 2022 ??
  • edited December 2020
    When are the games going to be played ?? I'm assuming that there will be 2 games every International break - surely they are not going to try & fit in 3 are they ?  What space is there in the calendar?  When does the WC take place- Dec 2022 ??

Three games in March, three in September, two in October, two in November.

• Sponsored links:

• With a young baby I’m suspecting my days of carefree travel following England are over at worst or on hold.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have been to 25 of the possible 45 Countries.

However on the off-chance the wife is feeling extremely generous, or more likely in my imagination, my ideal group as a travelling fan would be:

England
    Romania / Serbia (though I’d probably bottle it)
    Hungary / Greece 
    Israel (huge regret not going in 2007) / Georgia
    Armenia / Cyprus 
    Malta /  Liechtenstein

Or

Boring group:

Ukraine (been 3 times)
    Russia (after WC)
    Bulgaria (again...)
    Montenegro (again...)
    San Marino (again...)

I guess the first set of fixtures will be a write off for fans regardless.
  • I can't see unrestricted travel being allowed in March, so September 21 probably is the first time fans will be allowed to go abroad
  • England in Group I...
  • Cheers Killer.. Forgot about this - Something very enjoyable about watching draws in Football...
  • Got Poland and Hungary at the moment with us
  • I'd rather we pulled out to be honest than support this world cup taking place. 
  • Got Poland and Hungary at the moment with us
    Albania and Andorra added to the Group now
  • Christ almighty!!... Andorra and San Marino are the bloody Oxford and Huddersfield of the Internationals for England!!
  • What a lovely group. 
  • And the mighty San Marino!
  • Sponsored links:

• What a lovely group. 
    At least it'll be a bit different against Albania and Hungary, the rest we seem to constantly get
  • Confusing flags in Group H. Slovakia, Russia and Slovenia all very similar!
  • Cant see us being joined by any of the other Home Nations
  • Denmark, Austria, Scotland, Israel, Faroe Islands, Moldova
    Italy, Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Lithuania
    Belgium, Wales, Czech Republic, Belarus, Estonia
  • Scotland have a decent group, Denmark, Austria and Israel should hold no fear
  • edited December 2020
    Plenty of good trips there. Plus one good home match against Poland. 

Can’t believe Kosovo weren’t allowed in Serbia group. 
  • edited December 2020

Yeah just baffling - Nothing to do with the fact that Serbia doesnt recognise Kosovo as a country? ;)
  • edited December 2020

Yeah just baffling - Nothing to do with the fact that Serbia doesnt recognise Kosovo as a country? ;)
    Keep politics out of sport ;)
  • Plenty of good trips there. Plus one good home match against Poland. 

Keep politics out of sport. 
    Sometimes its wiser to do the sensible thing, could you imagine the trouble?

Of course its not the only issue... Gibraltar and Spain can never be put into the same Group of course

What would happen if the two teams reached a World Cup Final though, now that would be interesting
  • Looking forward to watching us play 3 CDMs against San Marino to scrape a 1-0