Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Arcadia goes into administration

edited November 2020 in Not Sports Related

Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins owner Arcadia has gone into administration, putting 13,000 jobs at risk.

No redundancies will be announced on Monday, administrators Deloitte said in a statement.

And Arcadia's stores will continue to trade as it considers all options available to the group.

All orders made over the Black Friday weekend will be honoured, Deloitte added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55139369

Comments

• Another high street name gone for a Burton.....

The way things are going there wont be a high street left once Covid has gone & things get back to "normal". Internet shopping is here to stay.
  • They should get a 12 6 point deduction just like Sheffield Wednesday.
  • They were fucked pandemic or not, business model lights years behind BooHoo and ASOS 
  • Topshop will survive, I can't see chains like Burton surviving though.
  • The pandemnic will finish off most of the high street bar the supermarkets. Amazon will eventually takeover the world and presumably pay next to no tax.

What will happen to all the retail space?
  • Topshop will survive, I can't see chains like Burton surviving though.
    The name and the brand will be bought by another retailer like Mike Ashley . The shops and jobs won’t be needed.
  • Like the black cab, high street shops are a thing of the past.... who cares.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really sad, sad for the staff who will in the main, lose their jobs and for many lose part of their pension as well.

I think if you've spent your career in retail it's going to be really tough as there simply won't be the jobs going forward.

Good luck to anyone involved.
    My couple of mates who’ve worked for them all their lives 
    Sorry, some of the contributors on this forum have got into my head and make me blast our their soulless thoughts; I was wondering if those thoughts applied to the taxi trade (m’Dad is now retired) were also applied to any struggling trade? 

Sorry, some of the contributors on this forum have got into my head and make me blast our their soulless thoughts; I was wondering if those thoughts applied to the taxi trade (m’Dad is now retired) were also applied to any struggling trade? 

I’m still not sure what you mean (and my dad, grandad and uncle were cabbies)

Sympathy goes out to all who have struggled this year which for many has been s***.

Retail is certainly not a great career choice anymore.
  • Many posters in the anti black cab thread are almost glad of the demise of the trade... it’s outdated, technology and cheaper labour has replaced it they say. They may be right.

I wonder if they are applying the same logic (which sadly, has parallels) to the loss of 13,000 jobs in the latest high street demise? Championing progress irrespective of the social fallout.

My initial comment was a bitter one and probably should have been quoted 
    “........” - xxxxxxxx, Charlton Life

• Burton are a funny one, I'll spend money there on t shirts and as I'm not in the market for Tom Ford suits any suits I know own are from there. Shame they got rid of all the snooker halls above the shops 

Hope someone.steps in to help 13,000 people losing jobs is awful. 

• Many posters in the anti black cab thread are almost glad of the demise of the trade... it’s outdated, technology and cheaper labour has replaced it they say. They may be right.

I wonder if they are applying the same logic (which sadly, has parallels) to the loss of 13,000 jobs in the latest high street demise? Championing progress irrespective of the social fallout.

My initial comment was a bitter one and probably should have been quoted 
    “........” - xxxxxxxx, Charlton Life

Change is progress if it benefits people. When things are very cheap it usually means somebody is getting shafted but people turn a blind eye.
  • Sponsored links:

• Worked in the Bromley one in late 90s when it was on the other side of the walk.

Shame.

Hopefully it can be sorted out.

• Cheaper products and services benefit people of the surface, but beyond that is the fall out that we as a society have to pay for. I would rather pay a bit more and have people in ‘old fashioned’ non-online jobs.
    It’s not just the store staff, it’s the cleaners, the security, the store-fitters.
    Although, Covid isn’t the only reason for this case, it’s going to kill the High Street. Amazon must be laughing, they probably own that wet market.
  • Worked in the Bromley one in late 90s when it was on the other side of the walk.

Shame.

And still wearing some of those threads you got with a staff discount now, I believe? 
  • I used my first paycheck from McDonald's to buy a new pair of shoes from Topman back in 2012. Sad for all the people losing their jobs right before Christmas. This feels like the beginning of something huge 
  • Off_it said:
    Worked in the Bromley one in late 90s when it was on the other side of the walk.

Shame.

And still wearing some of those threads you got with a staff discount now, I believe? 
    Where you going to shop now - Back to Mr Byrite?

Shame.

My brother worked in Burton bromley when it was next to Burger King. Around 97/98 ish. I worked in Benetton in the glades. 
  • edited November 2020
    I hate shopping and rarely go to my local High Street, still sad about its demise though. 

Tech is great in so many ways but is it making the world a lonlier place with people having less and less need to actually step outside their houses. 

Work from home, shop from home, watch Netflix, order dinner through Uber etc.  
  • Boom said:
    Off_it said:
    Worked in the Bromley one in late 90s when it was on the other side of the walk.

Shame.

Where you going to shop now - Back to Mr Byrite?
    Never left it
    I wont be crying when your industry is the next one to be on the scrap heap then. 

Since I started work in 1983 I've seen coal miners, steelworkers & car manufacturers, (just to name a few) go to the wall. In the last decade in been the turn of the high street retailers, with big names like Woolworths, HMV & BHS. No-one it seems is immune. God knows what the high street will look like in another 10 years. All fast food outlets & bookies perhaps.
  • Fortunately, they’re not really my thoughts.
    I was paraphrasing typical comments that you’d find elsewhere on the forum.

My own trade, the print, is a shadow of what it was.

We’ll all be doing service industry jobs soon, for those in the Finance industry.