Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 02 December | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited November 2020 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes
Wednesday 2nd December | Kick-Off: 19.45pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire) - Previously officiated Charlton against Sunderland in our 0-0 draw in early October.

Introduction
Just what the doctor ordered! After what can only be described as a blip that came out of nowhere, The Addicks reacted in perfect fashion on Saturday with a solid away win at another promotion chasing rival. The impressive Albie Morgan scored his first league goal for the club on his 50th appearance, supplemented by Omar Bogle as he fought off the criticism from midweek to get the monkey off his back, opening his own account for the club by taking note of what from this moment forward shall be called, 'The Aneke Role', - scoring after coming off the bench. An extra 24 hours rest for the players as we play on Wednesday, instead of what usually would be a Tuesday, but we finally return back to The Valley after what has seemed like forever. To kick-off the countdown to Christmas starts now, and to top it off, fans are allowed back into The Valley! The first time we will have any more than 1000 since March and next up, Milton Keynes.

Opposition
Manager: Russell Martin (29.6% win rate)
Stadium: Stadium MK
League Position: 18th | Last 6: DLWDDW

Milton Keynes played Shrewsbury Town at home in their previous league game, drawing 2-2, their last line-up was:

Fisher
O'Hora | Keogh | Cargill
Poole | Sørensen | Surman | Fraser | Sorinola
Jerome | Walker

Milton Keynes are on a fair run of form which has only included a single loss in their last 6 fixtures, coming against the current league leaders Hull City. Other results have included an impressive 2-1 victory away at Sunderland, a 2-0 win at home to Wigan, and three draws which have been 0-0, 1-1, and 2-2. However, results don't tell the whole story with MK. The well known phrase - even if it's untrue - is that possession is 9 tenths of the law, and if football worked in the same way, they'd be looking like runaway champions. An interesting statistic is that they average an extraordinary 65% possession, even getting as much as 73% in their 3-2 defeat to Oxford United, who we all know is a side who like to keep the ball themselves. Incredibly, the only fixture so far this season they have had less than 60% of the ball came in arguably their best result - winning away at Sunderland - MK would see only 35%. What this does show is that for the majority of the time, Russell Martin's side can keep the ball well, but are they doing anywhere near enough with it?

Personnel wise, MK have a number of senior players who have spent the majority of their careers in the Championship. At centre back, Richard Keogh (34) was the former Derby County captain until gross misconduct meant The Rams terminated his contract. But what he does bring is vast experience and the ability to play regularly throughout the season. Prior to his sacking at Derby, Keogh averaged 49 appearances per season over 9 years of Championship football. In midfield, Martin has called upon a former teammate from his playing days at Norwich City. Andrew Surman signed as recently as 17th November and has the capability to help Milton Keynes use of the ball to be far more effective and penetrable. The 34 year-old South African is technically very good for this level, and alongside penalty taker and energetic Scott Fraser, those two will be pivotal if MK are to come away from The Valley with a result. Up front, and to complete the set of a 34 year-old spine, they have another former Norwich City teammate of Martin's in Cameron Jerome. The striker recently spent two seasons away in Turkey before returning back to the UK, and has shown his prowess in front of goal at this level, with one every 144 minutes. A type of player who will love the battle against his opposing centre back, and is strong in the air too, so stopping the service into the box is certainly something The Addicks should be looking at for this midweek fixture.

Charlton Team News
'Charlton and freak injuries, a marriage made in hell', that's the quote I used in a post regarding Ryan Inniss a few days ago. And freak injuries it is that continues to hinder the options that Bowyer has at his disposal. This time, Paul Smyth was taken off on a golf buggy on Saturday with a nasty gash to his left knee. It hangs in the balance whether he will have an outside chance of being involved as they may decide to wait until the healing process is in its full swing. Either way, we should - fingers crossed - have Washington back after a minor knock. Additionally, Ian Maatsen saw his 5th booking of the season at Portman Road for what appeared to be time wasting, but Bowyer was unmoved on the matter as he had planned to rest the Chelsea loanee to save him from burn-out. Ben Purrington will come in for the youngster.

Saturday saw Aneke start only his second game of the season, getting through an important 71 minutes, and even though his performance certainly deserves another start, it's highly likely we will see Bogle come in for him, meaning Aneke could fulfil 'The Aneke Role', and score against his former club from the bench... Speaking of former MK players, Alex Gilbey got a good 35-40 minutes in his legs coming on for Jonny Williams, putting him in a strong position to start against the club he left in the summer. You would expect that Williams will come off the bench and aim to be involved again from the start next Saturday. This match is likely to see Forster-Caskey miss out with a hamstring complaint, the severity has not been disclosed but Saturday's trip to Shrewsbury would be a good target for the left-footed midfielder.

Bowyer could well consider his options in defence. Although we managed to keep a clean sheets on Saturday, playing against a physical striker like Cameron Jerome will pose a different challenge for the makeshift centre-back pairing of Gunter and Pratley. That could mean we welcome back club captain, Jason Pearce, into the team. The skipper has been on the bench for the last 3 league games without gaining any minutes, but he has been training with the squad for a month, you would expect him to be fit enough to start by now. Famewo and Oshilaja will also be looking to be push for the 18 after their injuries and recent illness for the latter.  

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Famewo, Oshilaja, Pratley, Williams, Maddison, Aneke

Prediction
Another game where the vast majority of us would expect to win, and you'd be right. This is a game we should be winning to maintain our position in the hunt for promotion. But I really think, as supporters, we should be patient and be reminded that even being at home, we are not likely to see too much of the ball. Getting behind the boys and staying behind them is going to be important. MK are a team where their whole game plan is about having possession. That could work in our favour as we have seen since Bowyer has been in charge. Win the midfield battle, which is why I have selected that personnel, and we will stop the service into their front men. It will allow us to set traps, win it high, and hit them quickly on the counter too. 3 points stays in South East London.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Milton Keynes
Washington
Aneke

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Sage said:
    I don't believe this one flows/reads as well as my previous previews, but hope you like it nonetheless. :smile:
    Nargh, Rubbish;)

Aren’t MK another of our bogey sides?
  • I'm going for a happy valley result. 
    4 0 to the mighty Addicks. 
    Top of the league come Xmas and that's where we will stay. 
  • Hopefully the stage is set for Chuks to get a goal (or two) against his former team.

Would be nice to get a bit of luck with our injuries and have those players who we've been told "might be back on Wednesday" actually be back on Wednesday. 
  • Sage said:
    I don't believe this one flows/reads as well as my previous previews, but hope you like it nonetheless. :smile:
    Nargh, Rubbish;)

Won 7, drew 4, lost 5.

Fondly remember our first meeting, a 5-1 victory at The Valley just over 11 years ago.
  • edited November 2020
    For me a very similar side...

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Pratley - Purrington
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

I'm not sure if we'd be better going 3-4-3 for this one.

If so I'd like to see:

Amos
    Gunter - Pearce - Purrington
    Matthews - Shinnie - Pratley - Maatsen
    Maddison - Bogle - Williams

This gives us the benefit of being able to bring Morgan on and like for like replacing Pratley for Morrison. 

The 3 becomes a 5 at the back if we need it.

Personally I'd start the same side we had against Ipswich, they'll have had an extra days rest.
  • Sage said:
    Know how you feel, sometimes you think it just doesnt click when writing

Its still a great Preview from you as always mate!!

Little bit nervous about this next run of fixtures myself, whilst I've predicted we'll do well in the December points thread there is still a little voice in my head reminding me how we did against Burton which is making me slightly cautious

Its certainly baffling that Pearce has remained on the bench for the last few games now as well so undecided if he'll start

I've pretty much gone for the same as yourself @Sage!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Even if Aneke can only manage 5 minutes I would still start him and see how he goes. We need to get some consistency and we are a much better team with him on the pitch. 
  • I would be tempted to match their 3-5-2. I think if we play a diamond their 5 will over run us.

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

This gives us the benefit of being able to bring Morgan on and like for like replacing Pratley for Morrison. 

Personally I'd start the same side we had against Ipswich, they'll have had an extra days rest.
    Maatsen suspended Daz which kinda buggers up a 3-5-2. If Pearce is back, maybe we will go back to Watson and Pratley in front of a back four with Morgan and Shinnie in front of them? 
  • Redrobo said:
    I would be tempted to match their 3-5-2. I think if we play a diamond their 5 will over run us.

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

Maatsen suspended Daz which kinda buggers up a 3-5-2. If Pearce is back, maybe we will go back to Watson and Pratley in front of a back four with Morgan and Shinnie in front of them? 
     Good shout I forgot his stupid booking.

I don't want Watson and Pratley together at CM. Would almost prefer Levitt in the 2 in a 5.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    I would be tempted to match their 3-5-2. I think if we play a diamond their 5 will over run us.

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

I don't want Watson and Pratley together at CM. Would almost prefer Levitt in the 2 in a 5.
    Levitt wont be involved for another week at the earliest 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

I thought it was a good booking as Bows intended to rest him Wednesday anyway. It suggests that Bows already had a thought of what he wants to do. 
    I would like to see them both play. Back to the opposition nil.
  • Redrobo said:

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

In possession especially, there is not much difference tactically between 3-5-2 and the diamond. If the centre backs split, and full backs push on, we know Watson will drop back.

When we don’t have the ball, having the extra centre back could come in handy when playing against someone like Jerome. It just means the midfield will have to be close to one another to ensure we give ourselves a good chance of winning the second ball if we don’t win the first.
  • Sage said:
    Know how you feel, sometimes you think it just doesnt click when writing

Its still a great Preview from you as always mate!!

Little bit nervous about this next run of fixtures myself, whilst I've predicted we'll do well in the December points thread there is still a little voice in my head reminding me how we did against Burton which is making me slightly cautious

Its certainly baffling that Pearce has remained on the bench for the last few games now as well so undecided if he'll start

I've pretty much gone for the same as yourself @Sage!!
    Sometimes even with all the prep and research, it just doesn’t seem to flow as much as usual.

Thank you though.

I think a bit of complacency crept in last week across the board, from supporters to players, and that’s why we got the result we did. I don’t think that type of thing will happen again so not too worried about results going forward. More the schedule and how it will take its toll on the squad if injuries keep happening.

To me Wednesday is the perfect opportunity for Pearce to come in. Even if he gets taken out again Saturday with Famewo coming in, he’ll then have 10 days to recover and go again.

Hopefully the players are all good going into training tomorrow.
  • Amos
    Matthews, Pratley, Pearce, Purrington 
    Watson
    Morgan, Shinnie
    Gilbey
    Washington, Bogle

Rest for Gunter perhaps as he’s doing Saturday/midweek and internationals, Gilbey thrown in again he will only get better, Shinnie due a rest but doubt he will till Gilbey is fully fit.  Hopefully Washington is back.  Not a bad side these probably slightly misplaced and play a passing game that on occasions clicks really well, that said I think we’ll just have enough but maybe not that comfortable.  2-1 Shinnie, Aneke.
  • edited November 2020
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Nargh, Rubbish;)

Won 7, drew 4, lost 5.

Fondly remember our first meeting, a 5-1 victory at The Valley just over 11 years ago.
    Does that include cup games?

Didn’t they knock us out of various cups that we’re  not bothered about, apart from me?
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Nargh, Rubbish;)

Won 7, drew 4, lost 5.

Does that include cup games?

Didn’t they knock us out of various cups that we’re  not bothered about, apart from me?
    Yes I believe so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Redrobo said:

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

In possession especially, there is not much difference tactically between 3-5-2 and the diamond. If the centre backs split, and full backs push on, we know Watson will drop back.

When we don’t have the ball, having the extra centre back could come in handy when playing against someone like Jerome. It just means the midfield will have to be close to one another to ensure we give ourselves a good chance of winning the second ball if we don’t win the first.
    I think the main difference is the players you select for the formation. I think their 5 in midfield would put us under pressure for long periods and three CH’s is a waste of a player when we are defending. Our midfield is our strength IMO so for this game I would go 4-4-2. 
  • I'm expecting quite a tight game. MK's recent form is pretty good and we haven't managed to beat them in their last four visits to The Valley. We have some players like Morgan and Aneke in outstanding form and if we can produce another solid team performance, allied to a bit of inspiration in the last third, we should have too much for them.
  • Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

If so I'd like to see:

Amos

I thought it was a good booking as Bows intended to rest him Wednesday anyway. It suggests that Bows already had a thought of what he wants to do. 
    I would like to see them both play. Back to the opposition nil.
    It was a good booking in a way ....... it takes away the threat of Maatsen being suspended over the intense Christmas period.
    Unless he gets himself sent off, of course.

• edited November 2020
    @sage, your previews are always great, just as @ForeverAddickted ones are. 

Burton was a kick in the arse for the squad, I feared we’d get done at Ipswich, but we found our groove again. 

Can’t see much of a change in personnel, except purrington in for maatsen and bogle starting instead of chuks, with Washington coming in for smith. 

3-1 addicks. Washington a brace, and shinnie  with the other. 

• Great review.

I hope Pearce starts.

I agree with the sentiments many have made already - LB will use the Burton slip as a constant warning to the squad against complacency.

I don’t have a season ticket so no chance of being there. Looking forward to the splendid match commentary online and hearing some strains of VFR from the 2000 that do assemble.
  • Pearce should be fully up to speed now. As a foward I would target Pratley moving the ball onto his right foot at a spow speed or Gunter's natural positioning more as a RB or CB. 
  • “I’m trying to look after the players as best I can. I’m trying to rotate as best I can. If someone has got a slight knock and can make it worse then I’ll leave them behind."

Nice words from Bows which shows the importance of a squad more than ever this season. I also think he's fed up of being known as the injury hit club.
  • Don't underestimate M.K.
    Surman had a good career with Bournemouth and Jerome had lots of pace and was dangerous when I saw him play for Norwich. 
  • Good preview Sage , going for 2 - 0 Charlton , Aneke & Washington with the goals.