Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Bailey diagnosed with dementia

According to SSN Mike has been diagnosed with dementia.

Good luck Mike, so many happy memories of you playng for us in the 1960's.

Apologies if already posted.

Comments

• Mentioned in the other thread on dementia. Sad news.
  • Sadly, I have know about this for a couple of years, as I'm good friends with Mike's son Andy. So sad hearing news of his slow deterioration....the family are handling it as well as possible. Victoria (Mike's daughter) went public with this info to highlight the lack of care by the PFA among others....shocking really.
  • That’s very sad. Best wishes Mike.
  • Sad news. I knew Mike when he was running The Valley Club. Best wishes to Mike and his family.
  • Best wishes to Mike.  His playing days pre-dated my time as a fan, but I well remember him as a manager. 
  • Terrific player who deserved to get so many more England caps; however, there were some great midfielders around at the time. One of the finest players to wear the Charlton shirt. My god, could he strike a ball.
  • Very sad news. I never saw Mike play for us but he did an excellent job as manager in taking us up in 1980/81.  In his subsequent spell in charge of The Valley Club, he was an extremely amiable host
  • Oh no.  Awful.
  • That's very sad news. I did have the pleasure of seeing Mike Bailey play when I was young,his ability and drive stood out to me even then and didn't like him being transferred to Wolves.Loved the way he managed Charlton in 1980/81 when we swept the board and were promoted. I hope that he can be helped in every possible way to bear that illness.I find it odd that footballers who weren't known for regularly heading the ball,say Mike and Sir Bobby Charlton,have incurred this disease.Thoughts are with his family and I hope that they can also be helped.
  • edited November 2020
    That's very sad news. I did have the pleasure of seeing Mike Bailey play when I was young,his ability and drive stood out to me even then and didn't like him being transferred to Wolves.Loved the way he managed Charlton in 1980/81 when we swept the board and were promoted. I hope that he can be helped in every possible way to bear that illness.I find it odd that footballers who weren't known for regularly heading the ball,say Mike and Sir Bobby Charlton,have incurred this disease.Thoughts are with his family and I hope that they can also be helped.

You don't need to head a football to incur dementia/delirium
  • Sponsored links:

• Blucher said:
    Very sad news. I never saw Mike play for us but he did an excellent job as manager in taking us up in 1980/81.  In his subsequent spell in charge of The Valley Club, he was an extremely amiable host
    Exactly what I was about to post.
  • Very sad news. He lived a few doors away from my old man in Bexleyheath for a while and whilst they never really knew each other, on my parent’s wedding day, he made a point of coming over and wishing him well.
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers: Former players association says dementia research is 'long overdue'

Mike Bailey left of centre
    Dementia research "is long overdue", according to an ex-players' group that says it is "aware of several former players" who have died suffering from the condition.

The Wolves Former Players' Association (WFPA) spoke after ex-club captain Mike Bailey was diagnosed with dementia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55102721

• Met and had a rather sad conversation with him at the Doncaster 2nd leg.......he kind of knew where he was but unfortunately was quite unsure at times and pretty distant.
    Bless you Mike.........a nice man in so many ways.
  • Met him a few times, was the Landlord of the White Horse in Woolwich Rd when it was a decent pub, yet another ex pro falling to Dementia, while Taylor and his cronies at the PFA have done nothing......
  • I have had the pleasure of sitting with him at some home matches. As @SoundAsa£ says he is aware of where he is and his wife is lovely. 

I tried to discuss Dillon Phillips being dropped for Jed Steer and compare it to when Mike had preferred Nicky Johns to Jeff Wood. It was his reaction that made me suspect that he had dementia. 

They are really nice people who ask after my friends when they are not at games. 
  • Sollydog said:
    Met him a few times, was the Landlord of the White Horse in Woolwich Rd when it was a decent pub, yet another ex pro falling to Dementia, while Taylor and his cronies at the PFA have done nothing......
    Excuse me but how do you know that Mike’s affliction is anything to do with him being a pro footballer?
  • edited November 2020
    Richard J said:
    I have had the pleasure of sitting with him at some home matches. As @SoundAsa£ says he is aware of where he is and his wife is lovely. 

I tried to discuss Dillon Phillips being dropped for Jed Steer and compare it to when Mike had preferred Nicky Johns to Jeff Wood. It was his reaction that made me suspect that he had dementia. 

They are really nice people who ask after my friends when they are not at games. 
    I have the impression that because it has now been officially announced, that his condition may well have deteriorated in some way.
  • Richard J said:
    I have had the pleasure of sitting with him at some home matches. As @SoundAsa£ says he is aware of where he is and his wife is lovely. 

I have the impression that because it has now been officially announced, that his condition may well have deteriorated in some way.
    Terrible terrible fucking disease.
  • edited November 2020
    Very sad news. God bless you Mike.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad news. I never saw Mike play for us but know how highly thought of he is by those fans who did see him in action. I saw many of the games during the season he was manager but never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Horrible disease, my brother’s father-in-law has it & needs 24 hour care.
  • So sad. I ran his fan club back in the sixties.  Met with him and Barbara. Lovely couple and he was a terrific footballer. Thoughts are with all the family .
  • What a player ,what a manager ...so said to hear this 
  • Sollydog said:
    Met him a few times, was the Landlord of the White Horse in Woolwich Rd when it was a decent pub, yet another ex pro falling to Dementia, while Taylor and his cronies at the PFA have done nothing......
    Excuse me but how do you know that Mike’s affliction is anything to do with him being a pro footballer?
    Perhaps you should read the other thread on dementia. The numbers of ex players getting Neuro degenerative conditions are worryingly high when compared to the general public. Some of them may as you say have got dementia but you wouldn't expect it in these numbers.

Families have shared their diagnosis to try and highlight the issue and to help others in the push for research. It must be a very difficult thing to do.

People are upset at the lack of action by the football authorities and you would have expected the PFA to be doing far more. 

I hope Mike and his family get all the help and support they need.  

• Sad news, Mike scored the first goal I ever saw Charlton score an equilizer against Plymouth in 1965. Watched a couple of Wolves games recently on the big match revisited and he was the stand out player. Also remember him running the Valley club for a while. 
  • ŵSoundAsa£ said:
    Sollydog said:
    Perhaps you should read the other thread on dementia. The numbers of ex players getting Neuro degenerative conditions are worryingly high when compared to the general public. Some of them may as you say have got dementia but you wouldn't expect it in these numbers.

Families have shared their diagnosis to try and highlight the issue and to help others in the push for research. It must be a very difficult thing to do.

People are upset at the lack of action by the football authorities and you would have expected the PFA to be doing far more. 

Of course I have read those threads and on occasion contributed to them as well.
    Let’s leave it at that hoof it.
  • Remember he finished one game with his arm in a sling,what a difference to some of todays wallflowers.
  • ŵSoundAsa£ said:
    Sollydog said:

Of course I have read those threads and on occasion contributed to them as well.
    Let’s leave it at that hoof it.
    I didn't understand the purpose of your previous post which is why I responded the way I did. All I want is that ex players and their families are given the care they deserve.

The issue is getting more publicity and hopefully the authorities will be shamed into taking action!

I apologise if I took what you said the wrong way - it's easy to misunderstand each other on here at times.

• Sollydog said:
    My late mother in law had dementia and I don’t think she was a pro footballer in her younger days so an ex footballer getting it may just be a coincidence 
  • Sollydog said:
    My late mother in law had dementia and I don’t think she was a pro footballer in her younger days so an ex footballer getting it may just be a coincidence 
    Anyone can get it, however it seems that if you were a pro footballer you have more of a chance of getting it.