Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supporters to return for MK Dons tonight (thoughts on experience from page 31)

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
The club are delighted to be able to welcome supporters back to The Valley for Wednesday’s game against Milton Keynes Dons.Up to 2,000 fans will be allowed into the stadium for the League One game, the first time supporters will be in the stadium since the club’s successful pilot game against Doncaster Rovers in September.The restrictions, in line with government guidelines, will mean supporters will be able to sit in the West Lower, Covered End Lower or East Stand for Wednesday’s game. Supporters will be assigned individual seats, socially distanced from other supporters in the stadium.The club has 4,861 season-ticket holders for the 2020/21 season and will run a ballot to determine who will gain entry to Wednesday’s game, which will now kick-off at 7.45pm. For upcoming games the ballots will work on a rotation system, so any season-ticket holder who doesn't get a place for Wednesday's game will be in prime position for the ballot for the following game at The Valley.According to government guidelines, members of the public living in Tier Three areas should avoid travelling to other parts of the UK. Therefore any supporter whose address on the club's ticketing system is in Tier Three will not be included in the ballot for Wednesday’s game, as per the government guidelines. Supporters now living at a different address to the one on the club's ticketing system, will be able to change their address ahead of our next home game following Wednesday's game, by providing a proof of address.Charlton owner Thomas Sandgaard said: “I was fortunate enough to attend the pilot game at The Valley in December. It was a well-organised, safe event and, despite only having 1,000 people in, there was a fantastic atmosphere. We are looking forward to welcoming more supporters back on Wednesday and hopefully I’ll be able to get to a game shortly to enjoy it with our fans.“We know there will be a lot of Charlton fans missing out which is a real shame but everyone at the club is working hard to put us in the best position to get more fans into the stadium in the future – I can’t wait to see a full Valley rocking, whenever that may be.”Information for season-ticket holdersSeason-ticket holders who are successful in the ballot will receive an email on Monday, November 30th confirming that they have been selected. Season-ticket holders not selected will also receive email confirmation. Please make sure you check your junk email if you do not receive an email from the club. Season-ticket holders who aren’t selected in the ballot will have CAFC Cash uploaded into their accounts in due course. If you are successful in obtaining a ticket, you will not receive CAFC Cash for Wednesday’s game, even if you then choose not to attend the game. Please note streaming vouchers for accessing December's games using CAFC Cash are currently unavailable - this will continue until ticketing around the game has been finalised. In the meantime supporters can purchase streaming passes for our upcoming games by clicking here.If you receive the email confirming you are selected for the game, you will need to login online and book a seat – you will not be able to secure your seat in person. Seat booking will become unavailable 24 hours before the game kicks-off for operational considerations.Supporters will be linked in the ballot, with friends or family, if the first line of their address is the same as another supporter on the club’s ticketing system. For operational reasons, supporters won’t be able to change their address on the system ahead of Wednesday’s game. Any fans who wish to change their address must provide proof of address by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk from Thursday, December 3rd. Once you have secured your seat, you will be sent your ticket via email. Tickets will be print at home/mobile tickets only. If your ticket does not arrive, please contact the ticket office. If you are not able to attend due to COVID-19/shielding matters, you must contact the ticket office at least 24 hours prior to kick-off. You will need to provide proof of a positive test result or the requirement to shield. This will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.Tickets are non-transferrable.There will be no access to Valley Express services to get to games.Guidelines for those attendingYou will be required to bring photographic ID to the game.Facemasks must be worn at all times. Supporters who have an exemption for wearing a facemask should get in touch with the club by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk to get a facemask exemption lanyard for the game.Supporters are advised to bring their match ticket – the confirmation email will not be accepted.We also want to let fans know that for this game, they will not be using their season ticket cards. Due to the operational complexities of plotting season-ticket seats, supporters attending the game will have to use a print-at-home ticket or a mobile ticket, to get access to the game. Our Ticket Office will not be open on the day due to social distancing measures, so please make sure you have your ticket with you. Any fan who turns up to the game without their ticket will not be allowed entry into the ground. Due to SGSA regulations, the club is not permitted to print off any physical tickets, so replacements on the day will not be able to be allocated.Each fan that is successful in redeeming a ticket will receive a separate email ahead of time with crucial information about the matchday. Included in this email will be a time for each fan to arrive to enter through the turnstiles. Please make sure you stick to this time as this will aid a smooth entry into the ground and help our fans keep socially distanced from each other.https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fc1468fb2dbc/supporters-to-return-to-the-valley-for-wednesdays-game-against-mk-dons

Comments

• What a faff. If I’m reading that correctly 2,000 fans will be selected but if say 500 say they can’t attend then another 500 won’t be selected?
  • edited November 2020
    Seems a shame that I won't be paired with my dad, despite being linked on the site, just because we live at different addresses (both tier 2). I can't imagine he'd want to sit in the cold on his own, so if selected that would be a wasted seat. 

Edit: Just realised that there's no way the club would know we're in a bubble, so makes perfect sense! 
  • Am sure @Airman Brown has said DA is this biggest postcode for season tickets. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Am sure @Airman Brown has said DA is this biggest postcode for season tickets. 
    But that includes Welling Bexley etc all London postcodes 
  • Problem with the DA post code some is in Kent (tier 3) the other in London (tier 2) so don’t know how they going to sort that out.
  • edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    I personally think this is the fairest way to do it.
    I'd be intrested to know what percentage of our season ticket holders live in Kent. I lot I would imagine.
    I think that there will be plenty of season ticket holders who won't agree with you.

We have a "bubble" of 5- the Fanackapans, adult daughter, and 2 teenage grandkids from the same family. We always drive together in one car.

Pippa had a season ticket last season as well as this one so has an account with our address. 

Daughter & grandson Will have season tickets for the current season under their home address.  

I'm sure at some point, probably when we applied for season tickets during the first lockdown, we were asked to nominate those in our "group" ie our 5. 

But even if we miss out for Weds' game, and try amend their address to show all 5 of us live together (?) - as stated on the OS - we can't show proof ....so that's a pointless course of action.

Under normal circumstances, for a 7.45 ko midweek home game, both grandkids would give the match a miss as it would be around 11.30 before we get back to the car and drive back to E Sussex. Sod's law they will be picked for Weds .... 

AND, what's the point of having points IYKWIM ? 
  • Fairest way of doing it at such short notice really and should see those who want to go able to go every other game roughly. 

• Problem with the DA post code some is in Kent (tier 3) the other in London (tier 2) so don’t know how they going to sort that out.
    Can probably download the list of Members on the system into an Excel file - Do a simple IF Statement against those with a DA post codes, if the field comes back TRUE from Dartford / Gravesend etc. then they can be obmitted from the ballot
  • Sponsored links:

• I think logistically this was the only way the club could do it, it's still going to be a massive headache for the ticket office.
  • Croydon said:
    Seems a shame that I won't be paired with my dad, despite being linked on the site, just because we live at different addresses (both tier 2). I can't imagine he'd want to sit in the cold on his own, so if selected that would be a wasted seat. 

Edit: Just realised that there's no way the club would know we're in a bubble, so makes perfect sense! 
    I read it as you both apply for the ballot, hopefully you both get selected and if so you login and book two seats next to each other. (Not clear though whether you can book both of them yourself if account linked, but assume so as you’d have to for kids). 

• Croydon said:

I read it as you both apply for the ballot, hopefully you both get selected and if so you login and book two seats next to each other. (Not clear though whether you can book both of them yourself if account linked, but assume so as you’d have to for kids). 

But you don't apply for the ballot...you're either in as a season ticket holder in Tier 1 or 2, or you won't be in it all ie ineligible due to living in tier 3.
  • Fairest way of doing it at such short notice really and should see those who want to go able to go every other game roughly. 

Not ideal as football is usually somewhere you travel to and sit with/close to mates.

But logistically less than ideal when travelling outside the local area , by car , especially as this is the quickest & cheapest way with no direct train line to Charlton. 
  • Croydon said:

But you don't apply for the ballot...you're either in as a season ticket holder in Tier 1 or 2, or you won't be in it all ie ineligible due to living in tier 3.
    Ah, ok. 

Oh well, it is what it is. Don’t envy managing the logistics of all this. Let’s see what happens 
  • Just like to say to those going  ,enjoy yourselves.
  • So basically the club are saying you knew the score when you bought your season ticket.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    clb74 said:
    Fairest way of doing it at such short notice really and should see those who want to go able to go every other game roughly. 

Your having a laugh mate , the club are taking the p!ss.

Actually agree with you after seeing your comment on WA that it is a little unfair to say if your selected but don’t go tough luck you lose cafc cash and will have to pay to watch the stream. 

My comment was more on the way people are chosen.
  • I mean it doesn’t affect me cause I have not got a season ticket but if I did I very much doubt I’d go if selected. Mask wearing, not sitting with friends and family, arriving at a set time, no refreshments available etc etc it just doesn’t sound like football. And that’s without worrying about possibly catching Covid.
  • Enjoy all those that go!
  • edited November 2020
    This may sound like a silly question but if selected you need to take photographic ID with you. Now I dont drive so dont have a licence and my passport is way out of date. Any ideas on what else may count?
  • clb74 said:
    So basically the club are saying you knew the score when you bought your season ticket.
    The problem for the club maybe if people who win the ballot & don't/can't attend & the club can't sell the ticket they will be losing more money than they are now with restricted attendances.
  • Clarky said:
    What a faff. If I’m reading that correctly 2,000 fans will be selected but if say 500 say they can’t attend then another 500 won’t be selected?
    Thats right, there is no opt out so if you are selected and cant attend you lose your money. I personally live in a tier 2 area but have a minimum four hour round trip so dont fancy going to a night game then sitting on my own and not being allowed to drink with mates etc, so hope I am only successful on a weekend!
    Totally agree.

I understand that this may be a logistical nightmare for the club to sort at short notice but it's been on the cards since the Doncaster game in September that a reduced number of fans would be allowed to attend at some point during the season.

Of course, the operation has been complicated somewhat by the upcoming new tier system over which we have no control.

However, surely a Plan A should have been formulated between September and now, allowing for family groups to attend together and for those "chosen" to attend to be able to defer if they are unable to on a particular occasion.

After all, season ticket holders put their faith in the club, year after year, purchasing early doors,  with many also travelling regularly to away games, so is it too much to ask that a system be implemented that's fair and well thought out ?

TBH, I'd be kicking the cat ( if we had one) if we were in tier 3 which starts less than 5 miles from our house....
  • clive said:
    clb74 said:
    So basically the club are saying you knew the score when you bought your season ticket.
    The problem for the club maybe if people who win the ballot & don't/can't attend & the club can't sell the ticket they will be losing more money than they are now with restricted attendances.
    Well if you are selected in the ballot but choose not to attend you don’t get credited with the CAFC Cash instead so effectively 2,000 are attending.
  • So it’s ok for tier 2 to go to Bluewater and mix with all of the tier 3’s inside . But it’s not ok for tier3 to come and watch Charlton outside at the valley ............... I give up 
  • It is probably a nightmare to organise. In an ideal world, season ticket holders ought to have the opportunity to opt out before the draw (or maybe, better still, opt in) but there wasn't a great deal of time. It is a shame that if somebody can't attend, somebody who can can't take their place.
  • Clarky said:
    This may sound like a silly question but if selected you need to take photographic ID with you. Now I dont drive so dont have a licence and my passport is way out of date. Any ideas on what else may count?
    Would it matter if the passport is out of date? You are not actually leaving the country?