Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Ipswich Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 28th November 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey)

Introduction
Well Tuesday at Burton Albion certainly saw us return to earth with a bit of a heavy bump, it proved that any competition outside of the Premier League will have its ups and downs all over the League table and after losing 5-3 at Scunthorpe two years ago, its a result that isnt too surprising to an extent. Of course its now all about how we recover and bounce back from our first defeat in two months. In some ways this weekend works to our advantage, it allows us to concentrate on a league encounter rather than a cup that we were never going to win. Losing to Plymouth Argyle has meant that we've moved our trip to Ipswich Town to this weekend, in what is the third re-arranged date, win and we're right back in the mix, anything else and you have to question if points on the board is truly better than any games in hand?

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town (5th) | Manager: Paul Lambert
Ground: Portman Road
Previous Result: Ipswich Town 0-3 Hull City

Of course its not just the Addicks who need to bounce back after a disappointing fixture in midweek... For the home side it was another promotion six pointer as they welcomed high flying: Hull City to Suffolk, a bit like our trip to Burton Albion though it wasnt a game that went to plan for the Tractor Boys, losing 3-0 to the team that have managed to open a slight gap between themselves and the rest of the chasing pack, even with a game in hand themselves.

Yet how have Ipswich gotten themselves into this predicament; League One isnt a level thats too good for any side to be in... Just ask plenty of the bigger sides that we've faced at this level over the last decade alone. Yet Ipswich were a perfect example of a team comfortable in the Championship, they were one of these teams that some times failed to impress yet in the years following their relegation from the Premier League, never actually finished in the bottom half of the table. Where it all went wrong (and Charlton fans can confirm this) is the fact that Ipswich perhaps wanted even more than what they were achieving, apparently Mick McCarthy wasnt good enough, yet the year after he left (similar to Alan Curbishley leaving SE7) disaster struck and the three managers in a single year wouldnt stop our opponents from sliding into tier three of English football for the first time since 1957.

Once again boring / mediocre football might not be the greatest, but its sometimes better than the alternative!!

The Tractor Boys under Paul Lambert (a man who knows how to win this Division, having done so with Norwich City) certainly appear a dangerous team which is why another slide appears rather bizarre, along with Peterborough they've more defeats than anyone in the top six... Player wise and they'll certainly be a threat on Saturday which is why Charlton need to ensure they dont hand out any further Christmas presents; Gwion Edwards and Jon Nolan are as good in midfield as anyone at this level yet thankfully appear to be injured, Whilst James Norwood, previously of Tranmere will surely enjoy a scrap against two potential centre-backs... who, well, arent centre-backs!!

Charlton Team News
Which brings me straight on to the burning question... What does Lee Bowyer do about his defence this weekend, both Deji Oshilaja and Jason Pearce appeared on the bench at Burton but with the Addicks chasing the game, it was unsurprising that neither appeared to gain some much needed minutes. Akin Famewo looks close to a return but this Saturday may come too early for the impressive loanee, who'd surely gain further popularity from fans at his parent club should he make a big a impact in this fixture

Charlie Barker is another name who has been thrown around by Charlton fans, whilst its alright throwing him against standard opposition at this level, will Ipswich be too much for him at this early age - Especially as fans have the beauty of knowing that their decisions wont win / lose games so dont have to worry about the consequences of their actions in the same way that Lee Bowyer would!! - Elsewhere though and you'd certainly expect a recall for Albie Morgan, as mentioned this week, the penny finally appears to have dropped for the youngster and is surely one of the most in form players in this team

Amos
Gunter - Pratley - Pearce - Maatsen
Morgan - Watson - Shinnie
Williams
Washington - Bogle

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Oshilaja | Purrington | Maddison | Gilbey | Aneke | Smyth

Prediction
The performance against Burton Albion quite simply wasnt good enough, the fans clearly know it but more importantly both Lee Bowyer and the players will know it wasnt good enough from them, whether it was just one of those games or complacency we'll never know but as Bowyer said post-match, its the sort of performance that he certainly wont stand for in the future... So this Saturday will we see a Charlton team that are a bit hungover from that performance or will we see a team champing at the bit wanting to prove themselves? - In all honesty I'd settle for a clever one from these players, go into the game too fired up and we'll see careless mistakes, this is a game where we'll really need cool heads and leadership.

Win... Lose... or draw - This Saturday wont define our season by a long shot!!

Onwards and Upwards

Comments

• If Aneke can’t start, then that is the line up I’d go with.  We will win this they have more injuries than us including more picked up during the week, according to my Ipswich supporting mate.  0-1 Aneke.
  • Another good preview FA, it'll be a tight , back to basics game , going for a 1 - 0 win to us , Aneke with the goal. It's the Charlton way.
  • edited November 2020
    LB has said that Pearce and Oshilaja are not fit to start, sorry FA. What have you done with Matthews?
  • Interesting that Rich Cawley has just posted saying Pearce and Oshilaja wont be fit to start Saturday which already invalidates my selection. Might be reading into it too much but the way Rich worded it, makes it sound like we'll still see a make shift Defence but might see Pearce at least, just not the both of them in defence together...
  • Pearce and Oshilaja have been confirmed as not starting, so pretty safe to say we aren't looking at keeping a clean sheet for this one either. Hopefully one or both can at least get a half because we need a recognised centre back on the pitch.

With Ispwich out of form this is probably the worst time to play them so I think we'll sadly offer them the chance to turn their fortune around. Unless we can do what other clubs do to us and figure out in advance where their weakness is and change our game to suit. 
  • ross1 said:
    LB has said that Pearce and Oshilaja are not fit to start, sorry FA. What have you done with Matthews?
    I'm partly thinking that one of Pearce / Oshilaja may start and its mind games

I went with the experience of Gunter over Matthews at Right-Back, then didnt really have room on the bench for him
  • ross1 said:
    I'm partly thinking that one of Pearce / Oshilaja may start and its mind games

I went with the experience of Gunter over Matthews at Right-Back, then didnt really have room on the bench for him
    Surely Matthews on the bench rather than Oshilaja, but then I have never got one of the selections right yet  :)
  • If we go back to how we were playing pre international break, cutting out the tippy-tappy backwards sideways passing, I can see us winning or at least getting a draw.

• Pearce simply has to play. I don’t care if he’s got one leg hanging off, give him an adrenaline shot and he’ll be good to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s a shame Barker doesn’t have slightly more first team experience as feel he would be more than a decent option for while the 4 CBs  are injured.  
  • It’s a shame Barker doesn’t have slightly more first team experience as feel he would be more than a decent option for while the 4 CBs  are injured.  
    I’d have no issue playing him. It’s great experience for him and if he does well we’ve got a wonderkid in our hands. It can’t be any worse than Gunter and Pratley 
  • Oh, I dunno. In the last three hours, I've imagined a back-to-form win, a dull 0-0 draw and another defensive collapse. I guess that means it will be a high-scoring draw.
  • Why didn't we give Pearce or Osh some minutes in the Burton travesty to get some match fitness into them. 
  • Thanks for another great preview @ForeverAddickted

”... will we see a Charlton team that are a bit hungover from that performance or will we see a team champing at the bit wanting to prove themselves?” is the part that’s going over my head again and again. I’m struggling to decide on which it’ll be. 

Bowyer’s League 1 record of bouncing back is pretty good, and we’ve not had too many multiple losses in a row, if I’m correct on that. So you’d hope we’ll get back to playing better at the weekend. My concern is that the confidence has gone in the players with the last two games, though this is where the experience of Pratley, Watson, and Gunter puts us ahead of a lot of the competition. 
  • MattF said:
    With Ispwich out of form this is probably the worst time to play them
    They might be thinking the same about us. 
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    Quite simply if Bowyer persists with all the tippy tappy bollox at the back we will lose. 
    Get the team to play more direct and try to keep the ball away from our penalty area.
    If that means we concede some possession I don't care.
    Possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. 
    Back to basics and there is no reason why we cannot bounce back from two disappointing performances. 
    2.1 the mighty Addicks. 
    Spot on regarding possession. Even last season our more positive results were with less of the ball. Tuesday 63% possession for us meant absolutely nothing when it came to the result. 
  • 3-0 Ipswich
  • Sponsored links:

• I was 100% confident on Tuesday that we would hammer Burton. I even put money on 3-0, 4-0, 3-1 and 4-1 just incase they fluked a goal. It never crossed my mind that we would lose 😂 on that note I'm hoping for a tight draw in this one 
  • Mini slump continues 
    2-1 Tractor Boys
  • If we set up like this:

Amos

Barker - Pearce - Purrington

Matthews - Watson - Shinnie - Maatsen

Morgan

Aneke - Smyth

Then we may win. We may draw, there's even a remote chance of us losing! 

Anyway I'm not sure that's a good formation, but could be interesting.
  • edited November 2020
    Sounds as you say an interesting line up Dazzler
    Maybe swap Purrington for Barker and put Gunter
    right side of back 3.
    And start Bogle instead of Aneke, we need The Beast to
    come on 2nd half for killer blow.
    Going for an optimistic 1-2 :)
  • No wins in 3 another defeat 3-0.
  • The only good thing about our team was the defence until the inevitable injuries struck.

Our midfield is very one paced and that pace is very slow  or stopped completely while looking to go backwards.  How we could do with a Gallagher or an Aribo or even Cousins.

instead we see lots of old blokes walking about passing sideways...reminds me of my five a side days but more skilful to be fair. Maddison makes McGeady look good. 

Only Chuks ever looks like scoring.  

Ipswich will be up for it. 

3.1  (Aneka consolation goal on 93rd minute ) 

• Dazzler21 said:
    If we set up like this:

Amos

Barker - Pearce - Purrington

Matthews - Watson - Shinnie - Maatsen

Morgan

Aneke - Smyth

Then we may win. We may draw, there's even a remote chance of us losing! 

Anyway I'm not sure that's a good formation, but could be interesting.
    Ew ....... that back line, Dazzler! Anyway, Bow has said today that Pearce isn't fit enough to start.
    Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Purrington return, if the formation permits.

Agree that we'll see Morgan; Bow said as much, when he told us that Albie was supposed to be completely rested v Burton so he would be fresh for Ipswich, but then named  him as sub when Levitt dropped out with illness. Maatsen had a bit of a 'mare the other night but he's got quality and pace, so agree he could be an asset further forward or wingback.

Bow has also been talking about Aneke's fragility -  after his 60 minutes last Tuesday, it seems to me that he'll get around 30 mins from the bench.

We'll see workhorse Connor 'Garry Nelson' Washington start but not in tandem with 'Little Smyth' - the ball will never stick up front. I reckon Omar Bogle, despite Bow's criticism and no doubt private kick up the arse, will start because there's no one else! C'mon Boges, sort your head out.

There'll be a star studded bench too.

• mendonca said:
    Why didn't we give Pearce or Osh some minutes in the Burton travesty to get some match fitness into them. 
    Good question ....... but would he have taken off Prats?

You couldn't play Prats and Pearce together; their lack of pace would've been a gift to Burton on the counter.
    Maybe the more mobile Gunter in tandem with Pearce - it makes you wonder how it could have panned out with an injury to one of the CBs?

In any case, Bowyer has said he doesn't like to make changes to the defensive unit during the match unless forced to do so.

• Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    Why didn't we give Pearce or Osh some minutes in the Burton travesty to get some match fitness into them. 
    Good question ....... but would he have taken off Prats?

You couldn't play Prats and Pearce together; their lack of pace would've been a gift to Burton on the counter.
    Maybe the more mobile Gunter in tandem with Pearce - it makes you wonder how it could have panned out with an injury to one of the CBs?

In any case, Bowyer has said he doesn't like to make changes to the defensive unit during the match unless forced to do so.
    Didnt have to... Could have taken off Watson and moved Pratley into Midfield

Especially with him on a Yellow Card, same with Gunter - Pratley could then have been the Right-Footed centre back adding some balance
  • Thinking outside the box ......  despite what I've posted above, as Dazzler has suggested, could Bowyer play a wildcard and play without a central striker?

Okay, I've already said I think he'll start Bogle fresh from a rocket up the arse, because otherwise the ball won't stick up front.
    But Bow often likes to be creative with his tactics and come up with something different to get a head start on the opposition.

I'm thinking back to Jonny Williams scoring for Wales, and Ryan Giggs saying that he played him as a 'false 9'.
    Now to me, a false 9 is actually a '10' with no central striker in front of him ........ but with an advanced striker either side.

So ..... Joniesta is the 10/false 9 with Washo and Little Smyth either side and advanced of him.
    The ball has to be played on the floor and the Ipswich CBs could be stood marking fresh air or dragged out of position.

Aneke to come in for the last 30 mins and the formation and tactics change accordingly.
    Ipswich thoroughly confused, 3-0 down. And Golfie happy for once.

No, of course not. Nearly time for my medication and Horlicks. :smile: