Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

If you admire that more fool you.

Nothing to like there. Compared to Pele . You just can't.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best.

• Pele counted goals he scored in friendlies against Amazon reserves u12 team. 
    His goalscoring stats were a little inflated as you say.
  • A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Do you apply that to all Charlton and England games? 
  • edited November 2020
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    By your logic we'd exclude a huge number of football players given the amount of cheating/gamesmanship that goes on. I'm surprised you even watch football.

The only truly ethical team I'm aware of in terms of playing football was Corinthian FC who disbanded in 1939. They led the way in fair play.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C.

• PaddyP17 said:
    I’m sorry but the Lineker thing was totally respectful and was a brilliant nod to a rival. They’ve met several times since then and they clearly got along. People getting ‘offended’ that didn’t even have the relationship that they did can wrap up. Ridiculous.
    Cool. I'll take that back, but none of the rest of it. I've just seen this, which is lovely:

Okay cool. Some people are way over the top but if you haven’t seen when GL goes to see him I urge you too. It’s class.
    That story about him volleying the ball up in the air thirteen times without moving more than a few steps, that's insane. He was unique, almost completely one footed. Probably scored more with his hand than his right foot. 

Best player I've ever seen live (1980
    v England).
  • I think Maradona will always be in the pantomime villain role as far as most England fans are concerned. The bloke comes over as though he’s always been a Marmite type character to anyone, let alone if he scored the winning goal against your nation with his hand to knock em out the World Cup.

He was undoubtedly a brilliant footballer and he certainly seemed to have lived his best life to the end. So, yeah RIP, but I’ll still reserve the right, as an Englishman and England football supporter, to dislike him as a player and a cheat

A genuine question. How would you feel if an English player had done this in the same game and got away with it?
    I genuinely wouldn't have been happy
    Would you have been happy if say an English striker dived to win a penalty that enabled England to win a World Cup match ?
  • I think Maradona will always be in the pantomime villain role as far as most England fans are concerned. The bloke comes over as though he’s always been a Marmite type character to anyone, let alone if he scored the winning goal against your nation with his hand to knock em out the World Cup.

He was undoubtedly a brilliant footballer and he certainly seemed to have lived his best life to the end. So, yeah RIP, but I’ll still reserve the right, as an Englishman and England football supporter, to dislike him as a player and a cheat

A genuine question. How would you feel if an English player had done this in the same game and got away with it?
    Neither would I. I'm no fan of cheating but the game has always had it. I remember feeling really p***ed off with Thierry Henry in the Ireland playoff game. 

Maradona is a cheat because he committed a handball offence. Michael Owen admitted diving to win a penalty which enabled England to beat Argentina in the world cup. Funny I don't hear all of these outraged football fans calling him a cheat.

Neither would I. I'm no fan of cheating but the game has always had it. I remember feeling really p***ed off with Thierry Henry in the Ireland playoff game. 

Maradona is a cheat because he committed a handball offence. Michael Owen admitted diving to win a penalty which enabled England to beat Argentina in the world cup. Funny I don't hear all of these outraged football fans calling him a cheat.
    Our players don't dive. Owen is not that type of player but he did have a bit of a balance issue. A clever footballer but not a cheat.

Our players don't dive. Owen is not that type of player but he did have a bit of a balance issue. A clever footballer but not a cheat.
    I'm not sure if that's a whoosh/humour or sarcasm but I'm sure you're right, he was very clever to time his balance issues coincidently while he was very close to a defender. From memory the panel in the studio gave him 3x 9's 2x 8's & 1x 7 (2 points deducted because he didn't scream enough)
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone who is over 30 years old and watched the Addicks glory years under curbs will know Owen is a diving cheating twunt 
    but I don’t think he died yesterday and I’m pretty certain he’s not popular in Argentina 

• A flawed character but one of the best players I ever watched. RIP.
  • Saw this fascinating stat on Twitter

3% of all fouls committed in the 1986 and 1990 World Cups were on Maradona. 

103 times in 14 games, 62 more than any other player

• I hazard a guess that every single one of our players has cheated by claiming a throw in they know came off of them last. 

Scum all of them. 

Right? 

Would you have been happy if say an English striker dived to win a penalty that enabled England to win a World Cup match ?
    No Bob, I genuinely wouldn't be happy if England, or Charlton, won anything through any form of cheating. Deplore it in every way
  • Sponsored links:

How many people, from outside of Brazil/South America especially, actually saw Pele on a regular basis though? 

C.Ronaldo & Messi have their every kick of the ball for club and country broadcast worldwide, Maradona didn’t have that level of scrutiny but far more so than Pele (especially because he played in Europe). The vast majority of fans would go years without seeing Pele play.
  • Apparently his dealer has applied for furlough
  • Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?
    Yes,Argentina came to Wembley in 1979 the year after they won the world cup,he was 19 at the time,dont remember too much about the game which we won 3-1,but their was a buzz everytime he got the ball and the 92000 crowd just fell eerily silent.he had an aura of greatness even at this young age,refuse to condemn him for one act,the man was magical and made poor teams great.He transformed Napoli,and won the world cup in 86 almost single handed,very sad,will never get tired of watching films of him playing.RIP

Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
  • Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?

Not quite but I saw him manage Argentina over there, and he kicked the ball around a little in warm-up. That definitely counts for something. In Boca there was a Diego impersonator smoking a massive cigar whom you could get a picture with.

I like Maradona, it is sad but he had one heck of a life and was never going to live 'til he was 90. I doubt he died with (m)any regrets.

Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    Maradona rarely gets mentioned, it's only now that he's passed away, the subject has cropped up again.

Mention Thierry Henry to an Rep' Ireland supporter, and you'll more than likely get similar reactions. Yeah he was a fantastic player, but we cant forgive him for what he done. Add to that, if Henry had spoke out in favour one side against the other in their "Troubles" and I reckon his popularity would take another dip amongst their supporters.
  • ....cue the barrage of Rep' of Ireland supporters saying they love Henry 

Maradona rarely gets mentioned, it's only now that he's passed away, the subject has cropped up again.

Mention Thierry Henry to an Rep' Ireland supporter, and you'll more than likely get similar reactions. Yeah he was a fantastic player, but we cant forgive him for what he done. Add to that, if Henry had spoke out in favour one side against the other in their "Troubles" and I reckon his popularity would take another dip amongst their supporters.
    I think Maradona has the most divided opinion of him of any footballer that lived,we all have our opinions which of course we are entitled to,certainly I could have willingly wrung his neck after that goal,but in my opinion,his sublime skills over many years outweighed what he did in one game.
  • I'd love to know if any of the posters who've been referring to his drug use/addiction have ever taken drugs themselves. Can't imagine you're all squeaky clean.