Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bands or artists you once liked that you now think are utter shite...

2»

Comments

• Stig said:
    I hate to admit this but I feel I've gone off of Tangerine Dream. They did some good stuff, but their catalogue is too big and much of it has filler status. The real trouble is that when they do a filler it's 20 minutes long.

Went to see them at the Barbican a few years back , i was praying for it to end , it was like a 3 hour long track , no pauses between songs , no engagement with the audience, never again........ you have been warned ! . 
  • edited November 2020
    Oasis

Agree with Kasabian, disagree with Arctic Monkeys.
  • It is interesting how some groups/singers go the wrong way. I wasn't a fan but I did think Mika's first album was very strong in every track and his second one was nowhere near it. Is it because they get too clever? I don't know, but that example sprang to mind as I don't think there was a single track on the second album, better than any on the first.
  • Stig said:
    I hate to admit this but I feel I've gone off of Tangerine Dream. They did some good stuff, but their catalogue is too big and much of it has filler status. The real trouble is that when they do a filler it's 20 minutes long.
    I couldn’t think of anything until I got to this post. 

You are so right ... used to love them and have half a dozen of their albums. 

Played again recently and I wondered why I thought they were so great. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Ive got most of their albums. I think the problem lays in the ever revolving band members, some of their stuff is amazing, some of it a bit elevator music. I cant say I hate any of them, but over so many albums and generations of band members its all bound to sound a bit different. Of course it will never be the same again as Edgar passed away in 2016.

Im impressed with one of the more recent band members personal work and some of is collaborations. Ulrich Schnauss....if youve not heard any of his stuff yet, it's well worth a listen....does some great improvised live stuff just like the early TD with Edgar, Chris Franke and Peter Baumann......and later also the underrated Johannes Schmoelling.
  • A lot of people not going to like this, and its painful to say because they are, along with the Small Faces, the foundation of the music I most enjoyed all my life.....

The Who. 
    Certain bands just end up as a parody of themselves.
    Some, like Radiohead, are never anything but...
  • TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Ive got most of their albums. I think the problem lays in the ever revolving band members, some of their stuff is amazing, some of it a bit elevator music. I cant say I hate any of them, but over so many albums and generations of band members its all bound to sound a bit different. Of course it will never be the same again as Edgar passed away in 2016.

Im impressed with one of the more recent band members personal work and some of is collaborations. Ulrich Schnauss....if youve not heard any of his stuff yet, it's well worth a listen....does some great improvised live stuff just like the early TD with Edgar, Chris Franke and Peter Baumann......and later also the underrated Johannes Schmoelling.
    Will check those out. I certainly don’t hate them but found them more boring than I remembered. 

Whereas I played Hawkwind recently and still enjoy their first 8 or 9 albums. Plus their last couple are good too. 
  • stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Will check those out. I certainly don’t hate them but found them more boring than I remembered. 

Whereas I played Hawkwind recently and still enjoy their first 8 or 9 albums. Plus their last couple are good too. 
    I saw Hawkwind at the Roundhouse and can remember running out and catching the last 53 to Charlton Village. It seemed to take forever.
  • Terence Trent Darby. 

Amazing first album then pure dross 
  • edited November 2020
    Coldplay, loved the first two albums. After that one song at best any good per album.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Got the new Hawkwind Light Orchestra album a few days ago. Very good.

Like you loved the Hawkwind’s first phase. Lost track of them after 1978 or so. 
  • Another mention here for U2 - loved them up to Joshua Tree, not liked anything since.

I once started listening to my album collection in alphabetical order of band/artist name - I couldn't face listening to Be Bop Deluxe so I failed quite early!
  • stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Played again recently and I wondered why I thought they were so great
    I think maybe back in the seventies some of the sounds they got were so different to anything else, it made you want to listen. Back then to get that sort of sound you had be absolutely loaded or an electronics whizz kid, preferably both.  Nowadays anyone who wants to can generate interesting sounds on their phone - or, at least, sounds that would have been interesting in the 70s. I think the novelty of media wore off.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Arctic Monkeys. Seminal first album. The stuff they make these days is just plain boring. 
    Feel much the same about Kings of Leon.  Killers have never been the same since Hot Fuss, either. I think we've invented a new category - bands that went downhill fast.
    Agree. Although I did think Aha Shake Heartbreak was a brilliant album. 
    Were KoL ever good?

Killers second album is better than Hot Fuss.
    No way! Hot Fuss was great. Sam's Town was a classic case of second album syndrome. Awful.
  • stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

I saw Hawkwind at the Roundhouse and can remember running out and catching the last 53 to Charlton Village. It seemed to take forever.
    Hawkwind are one of them bands that can be absolutely great on stage on the night but with their vast back catalogue sometimes it's hard to get the set list right and consequently on occasions they can fail miserably, saw them at Ramblin Man three or four years ago and they were great despite gremlins with the sound system
  • stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

Hawkwind are one of them bands that can be absolutely great on stage on the night but with their vast back catalogue sometimes it's hard to get the set list right and consequently on occasions they can fail miserably, saw them at Ramblin Man three or four years ago and they were great despite gremlins with the sound system
    Always better when Stacia was dancing  :D
  • stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

I’ve seen Hawkwind load of times since 85, Chronicle tour. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. They are my favourite band by a mile and always will be. There’s at least 5 versions of them and they all blend well, I even love them when they’re shit.  They missed a trick playing the Albert Hall for their 50th anniversary last year , could have been so much better.

but albums like Doremi, Space Ritual, Astiunding, Quark, Hawklords, a Warrior and Hall of the mountain Grill never age or get any worse. Fucking genius

some of the newer stuff holds up as well like the Machine, Chronicles,Electric Teepee, California Brainstorm, Xenon Codex.

sorry, someone said Hawkwind

• cafcpolo said:
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Arctic Monkeys. Seminal first album. The stuff they make these days is just plain boring. 
    Feel much the same about Kings of Leon.  Killers have never been the same since Hot Fuss, either. I think we've invented a new category - bands that went downhill fast.
    Agree. Although I did think Aha Shake Heartbreak was a brilliant album. 
    Were KoL ever good?

Killers second album is better than Hot Fuss.
    No way! Hot Fuss was great. Sam's Town was a classic case of second album syndrome. Awful.
    Just had to look at the track listing because I couldn't actually remember what's on it. Having done so, I wasn't inspired to listen again. A major step-down in quality in my opinion.
  • Rod Stewart, Fantastic early 70s/80s Now just stuck up his own arse.!

Kate Bush has always been dross, Bowie overblown tosh! all of it!
  • Tim Buckley, loved his amazing voice and early sweet songs like 'Morning Glory' but listening back now, pretty dated and not so good.
    Loudon Wainwright - great live but albums don't do it for me now.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:

I’ve seen Hawkwind load of times since 85, Chronicle tour. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. They are my favourite band by a mile and always will be. There’s at least 5 versions of them and they all blend well, I even love them when they’re shit.  They missed a trick playing the Albert Hall for their 50th anniversary last year , could have been so much better.

but albums like Doremi, Space Ritual, Astiunding, Quark, Hawklords, a Warrior and Hall of the mountain Grill never age or get any worse. Fucking genius

some of the newer stuff holds up as well like the Machine, Chronicles,Electric Teepee, California Brainstorm, Xenon Codex.

sorry, someone said Hawkwind

They're due to play at The Palladium on Feb 2nd at a socially distanced show.
  • edited November 2020
    Stereophonics. Peaked with their 1st album.