Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be our penalty taker this season?

On the strength of his ping the other night I’ll go for Shinnie or even Watson just because he’s our best player ;-)

Comments

• Maddison, Bogle, Forster-Caskey, Washington, Shinnie

Any of those five are likely IMO

• That's the line up for the penalty shoot out in the play off final at Wembley then.
  • All out injured by then
  • edited October 2020
    Don't want JFC anywhere near the team let alone take a penalty after that lamentable one v Forest Green. Shinnie for me. 
  • edited October 2020
    What do we need a penalty taker for?
  • Gilbey another one who can probably take a penalty if needed?

Marcus Maddison scored a penalty against us when Peterborough won 4-1 @ London Road a few years ago
  • Washington recently came on as a very late extra time substitute for Northern Ireland when the score was 0-0, recently and the commentator supposed it was because he was needed for for the penalty shoot out. He did indeed take the first penalty, he scored.
  • edited October 2020
    Watson if he is on the pitch I would assume.  Maddison, Washington, Shinnie, Gilbey would all be options as well I guess. 
  • Mametz said:
    Washington recently came on as a very late extra time substitute for Northern Ireland when the score was 0-0, recently and the commentator supposed it was because he was needed for for the penalty shoot out. He did indeed take the first penalty, he scored.
    I thought for some reason he used to be a penalty taker maybe at QPR, not sure if i made it up but first person who jumped out for me. I would put JFC near the front if on the pitch too
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Watson if he is on the pitch I would assume.  Maddison, Washington, Shinnie, Gilbey would all be options as well I guess. 
    Watson would probably get a booking for a late challenge on himself in the run up 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Have we had a penalty this season yet?

I'm reliably informed that Lincoln have had 6 already. If they were all as spawny as the one against us that would explain why they're top of the league!
  • jfc has missed a couple, I wouldn’t have him near the top of the list. Maddison or Washington would be my choice. 

If innes got on his knees and headed the ball from the penalty spot, I would put money on the ball ending up in the top corner.
  • This thread should be called Will We Ever Get A Penalty This Season?
  • Washington if he's on the pitch and then MM I suspect. 

If neither on the pitch then I'd expect probably Watson next or Shinnie
  • I think it was a bit telegraphed his attempt today so no mercy , I’d prefer Maddison or Shinnie for the next penalty (miss)
  • I think it was a bit telegraphed his attempt today so no mercy , I’d prefer Maddison or Shinnie for the next penalty (miss)
    As I've just said on the post match thread......he put it in the same place as the one he scored the other week. Also it was low down so easier to save. Be interesting to see where he puts the next one.....
    As I've just said on the post match thread......he put it in the same place as the one he scored the other week. Also it was low down so easier to save. Be interesting to see where he puts the next one.....
    Bob Curtis (20 successful penalties from 23) used to invariably side foot it to the keeper's top left hand corner. They were unstoppable and it was only when he changed, from memory, that he didn't score.

Very few players have the confidence to hit the top corners - Harry Kane, for example, mostly hits it hard and low to the keeper's right. As Washington found, unless you almost hit the side netting, if the keeper guesses right then he has a chance of saving it. 
  • edited November 2020
    Even players that mostly hit unstoppable pens, may well miss sometimes. The thing is, when Super Clive or Bent took pens I expected them to score 100%. When Jackson or Washington took/takes them, they do score more than they miss but I think they give the keeper more of a chance. As with yesterday, the keeper has to make a great save but guess right and it is virtually job done.

I did read that scientists worked out a few years back an imaginary square in the top corners of the goal that if the ball is hit into it at a certain speed or above, it is pretty unsaveable. I cant remember the size of the square or the minimum speed but we can all have a decent idea what it is.

I do recall when I first read about the research, that it shouldn't be too difficult for a half decent player to be able to regularly hit this area at the necessary speed. I am surprised more has not been done by clubs technical departments around this. I am sure it is out there.
  • Whoever takes it, practice makes perfect 
    Bob Curtis (20 successful penalties from 23) used to invariably side foot it to the keeper's top left hand corner. They were unstoppable and it was only when he changed, from memory, that he didn't score.

Very few players have the confidence to hit the top corners - Harry Kane, for example, mostly hits it hard and low to the keeper's right. As Washington found, unless you almost hit the side netting, if the keeper guesses right then he has a chance of saving it. 
    I must congratulate you on your powers of memory recall
    I certainly remember Bob scoring penalties, but can't claim
    to remember where he put it specifically, so well done.
    And yes, agree always best to put it high if you can, and they
    more than not tend to result in a goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring back Yoni Buyens.