Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best live acts you've seen

The Jam         - music of my youth
Joy Division   - knew nothing about them when I went to see them - an incredible gig 
Rival Sons      - best band of recent years for me and brilliant live

Comments

• AC/DC - was in Stockholm on the Black Ice tour and visually it was superb, a complete stage show. If anyone has seen the videos from live at River Plate it was that tour. I have an in with the band so got free tickets which obviously helps.

Black Sabbath - Phenomenal, even for their age they can/could still rock a huge arena.

Arcade Fire - one of the best live performances and bands I've ever seen and it was an outdoor performance. I've tried so hard to get tickets to see them indoors and keep failing but will keep trying because they are brilliant.

Anderson Paak - was at Glastonbury in 2017, it was Friday evening and really got the weekend started. Played with a live band (The Free Nationals) and the whole set just got everyone started. I regularly re-watch this performance on youtube. 

The Specials- This one may be slightly influenced by how much fun the crowd was having but the band were certainly playing up to it. Loads of middle aged blokes skanking all over the place, more Fred Perry's than a shite football hooligan film, all lagered up on a Friday night in the Troxy. One of the most fun gigs I've ever attended. Again free tickets helped this.

• Mike Oldfield Wembley Conference Centre 79, so good I went the next two nights.

The Wall  Pink Floyd......ticket loss on the first night when they were rarer than Rocking Horse shit 4th August 1980, had to wait until June 81....stands out there as the best theatrical concert ever.

Trevor Rabin Hammersmith Odeon 77

Kraftwerk Brixton Academy July 20th 1991 and again 2013 at Sydney Opera House

Roger Waters The Wall in 2012...Missed the London concerts in May and contacted his management team and asked if there were any plans to come to Sydney as part of the Oceania leg as I was moving there. The lady said no, but I'll tell you what, Im seeing Roger today I will put it to him, but cant make any promises....so, I'll take credit for the two performances in Sydney 2012 :)

Natalie Merchant Hammersmith Apollo May 2010......this woman is just magical live, I saw all of her very limited appearances when I lived in England, best female singer you've never heard of.

Too many more to mention in detail....

• Ocean Colour Scene - Manage to sound as tight as they do on their albums
  • U2 at Croke park, Dublin 
  • Charlatans @ Brixton
    Editors @ Razamatazz Barcelona
  • edited November 2020
    Humble Pie
    Genesis with Peter Gabriel
    John Mclaughlin and the Mahavishnu orchestra
    Yes
    Beach Boys
    Led Zeppelin at Earls Court
  • Lots and lots - I consider myself a lucky boy.

Just some that spring to mind:

The Who many times - best Quadrophenia live Hyde Park early 90s, plus The Valley and Hyde Park a few years ago where Paul Weller and Johnny Marr were warm-ups!
    King Crimson - Hammersmith Palais around 82 I think - standing about a foot from one of the biggest speakers I've ever seen - I was deaf for days after.
    The Rolling Stones many times - Twickenham 2003 was great (my missus is on the official DVD reaching out to (try to) grab Jagger as he started running from the main stage to the mini stage in the middle!) plus London Stadium a couple of years ago was amazing.
    Dylan - too many times to remember them all - at his worst he is appalling - at his best he is spellbinding.
    I can also add Hendrix and The Doors I.O.W 1970 - really too young to fully appreciate but fair to say they are up with the best!

The best of the best - Leonard Cohen 6/7 years ago at the Manchester Arena - utterly, utterly brilliant. A God amongst men.

• The Sensational Alex Harvey band at the Valley.
  • Didnt we do this all before?
  • Kraftwerk - Royal Albert Hall couple of years ago.

St.Vincent - Roundhouse

James - Brixton

Psychedelic Furs - Roundhouse

Leftfield - Kentish Town

New York Dolls - Kentish Town

Television - Shepherds Bush
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:
    Didnt we do this all before?

More than once - but it's still good if it brings back memories for us old'uns!
  • Very jealous about you seeing Joy Division.

Rammstein 
    Queens of The Stone Age 
    She Past Away w/ Lebanon Hannover
    Tr/st
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Dead Confederate
    Animal Collective
    Silversun Pickups
    Tonstarttsbandht

All amazing.
  • Huskaris said:
    Very jealous about you seeing Joy Division.

Rammstein 
    Queens of The Stone Age 
    She Past Away w/ Lebanon Hannover
    Tr/st
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Dead Confederate
    Animal Collective
    Silversun Pickups
    Tonstarttsbandht

All amazing.
    I shall Youtube for an hour this evening and report back
  • i've seen some great bands live - floyd, oasis, the prodigy etc etc but one of the best, and this is serious, who got the crowd going as much as i've ever seen - chas and dave!!! they were brilliant - another brilliant local band, the skalites - get the front row up on the stage with em for the last few - brilliant - see TS is gonna invite metallica to the valley - that would be an great event 
  • btw - how brilliant  is TS - the bloke is a legend 
  • Nightwish, Greenday, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden
  • Madness at the o2 on more than one occasion
  • Nine Below Zero, 1980. Support for the Alman Brothers who were blown off the stage by them.
  • edited November 2020
    Kraftwerk - Royal Albert Hall couple of years ago.

St.Vincent - Roundhouse

James - Brixton

Psychedelic Furs - Roundhouse

Leftfield - Kentish Town

New York Dolls - Kentish Town

Television - Shepherds Bush
    If you are talking about April '98 - I was there too. A mate had tickets and couldn't go, so he gave them to us. We were not huge James fans... until that night. I guess we were not expecting much, so that often helps, but wow - they were f***ing awesome. It was during the run up to the play-off final and we were with a couple of our fellow Royal Oak drinkers who were there too. On the way home on the train a chorus of "Valley Floyd Road" went up and it turned out there were about twenty Addicks in the carriage.     
  • TEL said:
    Mike Oldfield Wembley Conference Centre 79, so good I went the next two nights.

The Wall  Pink Floyd......ticket loss on the first night when they were rarer than Rocking Horse shit 4th August 1980, had to wait until June 81....stands out there as the best theatrical concert ever.

Trevor Rabin Hammersmith Odeon 77

Kraftwerk Brixton Academy July 20th 1991 and again 2013 at Sydney Opera House

Roger Waters The Wall in 2012...Missed the London concerts in May and contacted his management team and asked if there were any plans to come to Sydney as part of the Oceania leg as I was moving there. The lady said no, but I'll tell you what, Im seeing Roger today I will put it to him, but cant make any promises....so, I'll take credit for the two performances in Sydney 2012 :)

Natalie Merchant Hammersmith Apollo May 2010......this woman is just magical live, I saw all of her very limited appearances when I lived in England, best female singer you've never heard of.

Too many more to mention in detail....

I was at Earls Court in 1980 to see the Wall as a 13 year old.

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Lots and lots - I consider myself a lucky boy.

Just some that spring to mind:

The Who many times - best Quadrophenia live Hyde Park early 90s, plus The Valley and Hyde Park a few years ago where Paul Weller and Johnny Marr were warm-ups!
    King Crimson - Hammersmith Palais around 82 I think - standing about a foot from one of the biggest speakers I've ever seen - I was deaf for days after.
    The Rolling Stones many times - Twickenham 2003 was great (my missus is on the official DVD reaching out to (try to) grab Jagger as he started running from the main stage to the mini stage in the middle!) plus London Stadium a couple of years ago was amazing.
    Dylan - too many times to remember them all - at his worst he is appalling - at his best he is spellbinding.
    I can also add Hendrix and The Doors I.O.W 1970 - really too young to fully appreciate but fair to say they are up with the best!

The best of the best - Leonard Cohen 6/7 years ago at the Manchester Arena - utterly, utterly brilliant. A God amongst men.

I was at both the Hyde Park Who gigs, they were fantastic.

AC/DC are also hard to beat, seen them a couple of times.

Was lucky enough to get a ticket for Live Aid and whilst everyone goes on about Queen’s performance being the best of all time, to be one of those with their hands in the air clapping along, I can’t disagree. It was a magical set that I will never forget.
  • edited November 2020
    Screaming Jay Hawkins at The Town & Country
    Ronnie Dawson at Camber Sands - his farewell gig.
    Cab Calloway at The Barbican
    Oasis at Zambujeira do Mar - mainly because we had all areas passes.  
    The Meteors at The Hope & Anchor in 1980
  • Paul weller many times always awsome
    Many 80s jazz funk back in my youth
    Always remember 1st time I saw level 42 in the cinema by the woolwich ferry
    But I will keep this one quiet 🤫  robbie williams at Knebworth was mental but please don't mention it to anyone
  • Mine

Hawkwind - Chronicle of the Black Sword 85 at Hammersmith. What a gig. Theatrics, great music and lysergically refreshed

Pink Floyd The Wall 1980, Wembley 88, Roger Waters Radio Kaos 88,or 87 , RW THE WALL at the 02: RW at Hyde Park 2018 not sure. All excellent but the highlight of all of them was the Radio Kaos tour as Clare Terry did Great gig in the Sky , to hear it live still sends shivers up me now.

Underworld in general, seen them about 10 times from a pub in North London to headlining Glastonbury. We grew with them and it felt great

Glastonbury from 86 to 99. Went every year it was on. Too many memories and stories 

The Specials first come back gig in Brixton. When the curtain went down to Do the Dog . What a buzz

Oasis. Saw em in 95 on the second stage in Glasto in the afternoon, then saw em loads from Earls Court to Loch Lomind to Finsbury Park,  always a good night

recently

New Order at Brixton 5 years ago. What a set and what a night. Ended the gig with Atmosphere. Nearly in tears

• red10 said:
    Nine Below Zero, 1980. Support for the Alman Brothers who were blown off the stage by them.
    Bloody Hell, Nine Below Zero, forgotten all about them. Saw them at the Dominion.
  • Robert Palmer 
  • Screaming Jay Hawkins at The Town & Country
    Ronnie Dawson at Camber Sands - his farewell gig.
    Cab Calloway at The Barbican
    Oasis at Zambujeira do Mar - mainly because we had all areas passes.  
    The Meteors at The Hope & Anchor in 1980
    Bloody ‘eck when was that, would’ve liked to have seen him.
  • edited November 2020
    Music has to be fun.
    Was never into heavy metal so my best acts I saw live were:

Beach Boys
    Leo Sayer
    Lindisfarne
    Slade
    Diana Ross
    Rolling stones

Favourites that I never saw live were 
    The police
    Human League
    Beautiful South
    M people
    Tears for Fears.
    Neil Young
  • Prodigy ,seen them so many times from leas cliff hall Folkestone in 91/92 to warriors dance festival & everywhere in between  A fantastic live band

Tom Jones  Cardiff castle 2001, an awesome presence in wales , we brought tickets from touts outside when we were walking past half cut & thought it would b a laugh & turned out to b such a great gig , we went back the following night to see sting which was not so good!

Adamski , Brixton academy 89, I was far too young to be in this gig but one of the best gigs I’ve been too , a real eye opener & set my musical style up to now
  • edited November 2020
    U2 Hammersmith Palais, very early days, before they disappeared up their own backsides.