Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst live acts you have seen

I had the misfortune to see Toyah Willcox live once - I'm still haunted by the experience.

Comments

• Don McLean....borefest at the Orchard Dartford
  • I’ve seen some unknown inept bands but of the bigger names...

Rod Stewart when he pointed the microphone at the audience for half of the set
    Eric Clapton when he played nothing anyone knew at a castle in Yorkshire
    Focus just after Jan Akkerman left and Philip Catherine deputised so that they played all his stuff
    Dexys Midnight Runners - great in their time but well past their sell by date
    Griff Rhys Jones - not funny, more creepy

• I knew this had been done before. 12 years ago. My memory must be better than I thought!

• @Bangkokaddick posting has reminded me that I thought Oasis were pretty poor when they played in Bangkok. Mind you, the organisation for this outdoor event was badly thought out. To stand in the front section, tickets were UK prices, to stand at the back was dirt cheap and the middle section was priced between the two. All very logical but the front section was just ex-pats (with or without Thai partners). The back section was local Thais. And, the middle section was almost empty.
  • Elton John at Wembly. Boring.
    Made up for by the set from the Beach boys.
  • Charlton 2-5 Sheffield United lives strong in the memory
    Only good thing about that was that it brought about Big Noses demise.
  • Charlton 2-5 Sheffield United lives strong in the memory
    If i remember correctly James Beattie scored a one on one after a counter attack?
  • Sponsored links:

• Finlay Quaye, no question
  • Have been a regular at Ronnie Scott’s for many years. Seen some great acts like Madeleine Bell and Van Morrison. Unfortunately have also seen Taj Mahal and Manhattan Transfer. Have to make Taj Mahal slightly better as I prefer his music. Manhattan Transfer looked like they had been dragged in from a corner begging pitch in Frith Street. Bloody awful. 
  • A Dire Straits tribute band that had a saxophone player doing all of Mark Knopfler’s guitar solos!
    Went to see a Kenny G tribute. Well it was just a bloke playing the drums
  • Elton John at Wembly. Boring.
    Made up for by the set from the Beach boys.

100% agree.
    Elton John spent so long playing his new songs which were uninspiring that it was only when he played "Saturday night's alright" that he got a response from the crowd.

The Beach boys were mesmeric and instead of being on the pitch at Wembley I/we were suddenly at Malibu, Venice beach, Long beach with California girls with their long golden hair and the vibrations were so good. Barbara Anne I miss you.
    Help me Rhonda as 2020 is a different world.
  • Shappi Khorsandi (not out of choice, it was a corporate gig).

• Hard fi at V.

Was looking forward to seeing them the most all weekend. The lead singers voice hardly reached the back of the stage let alone the back of the crowd!
  • Iggy Pop - Rainbow, shows you how long ago it was, left early.
  • Iggy Pop at Superbock Super Rock in Lisbon. He'd just got back with the Stooges. Now I know there are those that would have absolutley loved it - and fair play to you - but all he did were Stooges songs, the only one most of the crowd knew was "I wanna be your dog". Iggy - it's a festival mate, they want to hear the songs they know, because they have not just come to see you... 

Oh - and Dr Robert from the Blow Monkeys, could not carry a tune in a bucket.    
  • Sponsored links:

• Groove Armada , saw them in the smaller room at fabric & it was like a band jam , many many instruments on the stage with various random people picking one up & joining in at different stages I couldn’t work out what was going on but Carl cox in the main room doing 3 hours with 3 decks so all’s well that ends well!
  • edited November 2020
    Seen Weller many times and he's always superb and will always be an absolute legend to me, but I didnt think much of his first O2 gig. Reckon seeing him at smaller venues over the years made seeing him there a bit less personal, so maybe it was the venue, but ended up leaving early regardless.
  • Seen Weller many times and he's always superb and will always be an absolute legend to me, but I didnt think much of his first O2 gig. Reckon seeing him at smaller venues over the years made seeing him there a bit less personal, so maybe it was the venue, but ended up leaving early regardless.
    The O2 is usually pretty terrible for atmosphere - not too bad if you're near the stage but if you are miles away it just feels like an aircraft hangar. The trouble is a lot of big acts only play there 
  • I saw Isaac Hayes at a festival about 2007. It was very muddy but the sun had finally come out and I was thinking I'd get to see and hear a soul legend. He was off his face and could barely finish any songs. :(
  • edited November 2020
    Black Sabbath at Hammersmith Odeon in the 70's, Ozzy was pissed music was loud and unless you knew the songs couldn't understand a word he sung.

The back up band called Bandylegs were fantastic but never heard from them again. In fact they did a couple of encores. which back up bands rarely do.

Just found out by a colleague they changed their name to Quartz, and I have a couple of their albums, didn't know they changed their name.
  • Whitney Houston, Wembley Arena, early 90's I think, truly awful, she was high as a kite, voice was gone and spent most of the time wittering on incoherently about religion.... what a waste of an incredible talent.

Bob Monkhouse in Watford on a works do, never liked the guy anyway, but live was just so bad, the least funny 'comedian' I have ever seen, and I've seen Gina Yashere.......
  • Not because of the music, but Destination Docklands the open air concert put on by Jean-Michel Jarre in Beckton in October 1988 will chiefly be remembered for the freezing rain that fell that evening!