Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC South East Sport

As you may be aware the BBC South East has taken the decision to stop coverage of Charlton.  I queried the reasons for this and got this reply.

Thank you for this and apologies for not coming back to you before. South East Today covers Kent, Sussex and a small part of Surrey, so the league clubs in this area are Brighton and Hove Albion, Gillingham and Crawley Town. A decision was taken in the 1990s to cover Charlton when they were a Premier League club. Over that time we’ve had numerous calls and emails from people questioning why we reported on a club which wasn’t in the area we cover. For example, many people asked why, if we covered Charlton Athletic, that we didn’t also cover Crystal Palace. As I explained before, this was a really difficult decision and I apologise if you are disappointed by it.

I hope that is helpful.

Comments

• Nail on head for me, good reply.

We may have a lot of fans based in Kent but the club are based in London.
  • It's difficult for TV regions to get this right as sport catchment areas spread wider than modern county and TV transmission areas

The BBC London transmission area does spread into Kent, but it's interesting that it goes much further into Essex, covering as far as Southend

https://ukfree.tv/maps/bbc
  • Surely if you live in London you don't want to see local reports on Brighton and Southampton so vice versa i can understand folk in the South dont want to see Charlton on their local news.
  • Surely if you live in London you don't want to see local reports on Brighton and Southampton so vice versa i can understand folk in the South dont want to see Charlton on their local news.
    Living in Kent I have no interest in Crawley, which is further away from Thanet and takes longer to reach than The Valley. I don’t know anyone who supports Gillingham. Broadcast areas are not a neat fit and there are always compromises. I understand the argument for and against but the BBC have removed Charlton from their SE coverage. It’s that decision which is being questioned. Either way, it’s not good for the club that its profile is shrinking.
    When you put it like that, no its not good.
  • Perhaps CAST could start a campaign/petition to get BBC South East to reconsider - I certainly miss the coverage.

It's amazing that living in Maidstone, they can provide coverage of both Brighton and Crawley but not Charlton. I suspect we have far more active fans here than both those Clubs put together.

Get the feeling that the lack of response and tributes to the untimely death of Neil Bell from the Club may have had something to do with it, rather than complaints for Palarse fans.
  • Addickted said:

It's amazing that living in Maidstone, they can provide coverage of both Brighton and Crawley but not Charlton. I suspect we have far more active fans here than both those Clubs put together.

There will be more Charlton fans in Kent than there are Gillingham fans.

In fact, there's probably more Charlton fans in Gillingham than there are Gillingham fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

There will be more Charlton fans in Kent than there are Gillingham fans.

In fact, there's probably more Charlton fans in Gillingham than there are Gillingham fans.

Mind you there probably be as more Arsenal supporters in Kent than Charlton ones, especially when you include armchair ones
  • I would prefer that we got the coverage but it’s not 1992 anymore, no one’s watching anyway. 
  • Many West Ham fans also live in Kent, they catch the high speed service into Stratford.
  • Glovepup said:
    Many West Ham fans also live in Kent, they catch the high speed service into Stratford.
    wonder if they are on the Essex version? 
  • redman said:
    Glovepup said:
    Many West Ham fans also live in Kent, they catch the high speed service into Stratford.
    wonder if they are on the Essex version? 
    doubt they're on Look East, the London TV area goes much further into Essex. BBC Essex (radio) used to do West Ham commentaries, though, don't know if they still do.
  • And ITV Meridian also cover Southend's goals. I'd say that's stretching it a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• They should change the name to BBC Kent and Sussex. That would clear up the problem.
    Ask anyone in the world looking at a map what part of England London is in.
    I chose BBC One South East for my satellite service assuming London was included. Now I think about it I've never seen Charlton mentioned on it. I've just assumed that Brighton are always on at our cost because they are in the Premier League.
    I normally put on the HD service anyway and have the music instead of local news, lol.
    Anyway, just to reiterate, South East is a bad choice of title for precision sakes.
  • They should change the name to BBC Kent and Sussex. That would clear up the problem.
    I chose BBC One South East for my satellite service assuming London was included. Now I think about it I've never seen Charlton mentioned on it. I've just assumed that Brighton are always on at our cost because they are in the Premier League.
    I normally put on the HD service anyway and have the music instead of local news, lol.
    Anyway, just to reiterate, South East is a bad choice of title for precision sakes.
    But the area BBC South East covers is in the south east part of the country.

Back in the days of Newsroom South East, the BBC had a massive South East region that covered both Kent and London (and went up to Oxford). It was split up about 20 years ago (BBC London News; South East Today from Tunbridge Wells), although they did some joint stuff earlier this year during the height of lockdown to save on staff numbers.

Meridian showing Southend - apparently some parts around Southend pick up Meridian rather than Anglia/ITV London better on terrestrial, goes back years. 

• Off_it said:
    They should change the name to BBC Kent and Sussex. That would clear up the problem.
    But the area BBC South East covers is in the south east part of the country.
    A small part of it.
    BBC North West doesn't include Carlisle. 
    How do you work that one out?
  • No TV signal in Cumbria?
  • Regional BBCs are under increasing pressure to justify content. Commissioners are scrutinizing output. Radio is under particular pressure, listen to it or lose it.
  • You splitters desert our ends, want ya nice little thatched roof, seaside air and countryside cycling. Haven’t we done well for ourselves.  Well this is the payback.

Enjoy Crawley. Lots of Crawley features.

(Smiley face)
    Gotta feel for the thatched clean-lunged cyclists...

they can’t even travel to see their beloved Crawley :-) 

Back in the days of Newsroom South East, the BBC had a massive South East region that covered both Kent and London (and went up to Oxford). It was split up about 20 years ago (BBC London News; South East Today from Tunbridge Wells), although they did some joint stuff earlier this year during the height of lockdown to save on staff numbers.

Meridian showing Southend - apparently some parts around Southend pick up Meridian rather than Anglia/ITV London better on terrestrial, goes back years. 

As the seagull flies (boat rows) Southend is 15 miles or so from Gillingham.