Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bands or artists that you didn’t really appreciate when you were young but do now

Apologies if this has been done before (if that’s the case someone feel free to post the link here).  I’ll start..

Roy Orbison
Pink Floyd (to an extent)
INXS

ps - I still think that U2 are utter shite! 

Comments

• Kate Bush. 
  • Grateful Dead, Love, Spirit
  • Genesis
    Marillion
    Rush

Indifferent at the time - adjusted my view considerably as I've got older.
  • Primal Scream (but when they were young, I was 40!)
  • edited November 2020
    Kate Bush. 

You got there in the end!

(and my answer was and still is 'yes').
  • bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

You've got a better memory than me Bob.
    Did I criticise her in the past?
  • The majority of 80's "pop" bands who actually played their instruments well. Depeche Mode - Level 42 - Culture Club - Talk Talk etc etc. Listen to em all the time now, and love watcjing em play their hits in their 50s and 60s
  • edited November 2020
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

You've got a better memory than me Bob.
    Did I criticise her in the past?

No - but by you putting Kate Bush you were presumably admitting that you didn't really appreciate her when you were young. (as per the thread title!)
  • Jethro Tull
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Sponsored links:

• Van Morrison 
    Elvis 
    The Rolling Stones 
  • Shed 7 
    Echo and The Bunnymen
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • As I've listened to music both new and old, listened to friends mix tapes and playlists, experienced new music from directors I work with ( I work in dance and film industries) music continually surprises me and brings up new bands and genres. As a teenager I was pretty much stuck on prog rock anything from Quo to Floyd, Yes to Genesis, Van Halen to Rush, Roy Harper to Bob Dylan, Neil Young to Joni Mitchell .Sadly I was a bit blinkered and did not appreciate punk at the time. Thankfully friends and colleagues opened my ears and have got me to listen to new music all the time as I have grown older. I've since enjoyed Joy Division, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Bjork ,Nick Cave, Sigor Ros, Death Cab Cutie, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, Sun Kil Moon, Father John Misty to name a few. Working in film has led me to ambient music like Nils Frahm, Colleen, Max Richter and Peter Broderick. And then I have a 30 yr old son who listens to Dub, Reggae, Soul and Blues and his soulful and often joyful taste in music is a breath of fresh air from some of my more morose listening. In lockdown 1, I decided to listen to every one of Bob Dylans albums in order and again discovered more music, unexpected music.
  • bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

My mum used to clean for her.
  • Shed 7 
    Echo and The Bunnymen
    Been doing Alan Leach's drum school since start of lockdown on facebook
  • edited November 2020
    Shed 7 
    Echo and The Bunnymen
    Been doing Alan Leach's drum school since start of lockdown on facebook

The Shed 7 lads used to come into the record shop I worked in all the time before they started to make it. I always thought Rick Witter was a bit of a knob but one of my co-workers had a real problem with them solely because the band he was in could never manage to beat them in any of the battle of the bands gigs that happened in York.
  • ABBA.....without doubt the most talented and successful “pop music” group that has ever existed.
    Brilliant song writers too.
    I don’t have any of their albums but always enjoy hearing them from time to time.
    And finally......I defy anyone who says that haven’t tripped the light fantastic whilst at a wedding, christening or party and danced to the timeless “Dancing Queen”.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

I lived around the corner from her - lovely girl!
  • Sponsored links:

• The majority of 80's "pop" bands who actually played their instruments well. Depeche Mode - Level 42 - Culture Club - Talk Talk etc etc. Listen to em all the time now, and love watcjing em play their hits in their 50s and 60s
    I'm not a massive fan of their music (other than the odd song) but I have a lot more respect for Duran Duran musically than I had back in the 80s, when I used to think they were just a bunch of pretty boys. John Taylor in particular, as he's a fine bass player
  • Queen.

Always hated them but never appreciated just how shit they really are until they started featuring in adverts.

Jackson Browne.

Never really got him when younger but love him now.

• bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

I lived around the corner from her - lovely girl!
    I could have met her but at about 14 it would have ruined the little street cred I had if anyone found out!

Her old house still has the wuthering heights gates.
  • Van Morrison 
    Elvis 
    The Rolling Stones 

Isn't that a line from a Clash song?

Live all three
  • Matt Munroe . Was not my style at 15 but he has a really good voice. 

Helen Shapiro  my age group but not for me then. However she had a voice mature beyond her years  .

Helen Shapiro lives in Elmstead Woods.

Now does gospel, which is a little strange as she's Jewish.
  • So many jazz players and bands.

MJQ
    Charlie Parker
    Miles Davis
    Count Basie

Come to mind.

Also in other genres

Andy Williams
    AC/DC
    Kate Bush
    Jim Reeves

The list goes on & on really.

• Will also add Linkin Park
  • David Bowie, especially his 70s stuff. Mrs AUN is a huge fan and her playing his songs has definitely had an influence.