Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fairytale of New York

Comments

• Altering lyrics because listeners "may" find it offensive.
  • You scumbag, you maggot you cheap lousy fagot .....
  • cafc999 said:
    Altering lyrics because listeners "may" find it offensive.
    no different to all explicit songs being censored on the radio currently.
  • edited November 2020
    Croydon said:
    cafc999 said:
    Generally explicit songs have words like fuck or shit in them and not a word that "may" mean something other than a large meatball 
  • You scumbag, you maggot you cheap lousy fagot .....
    That's the best bit.
    I've always loved the song well before many even knew it.
    Gradually, it's become a Xmas favourite, much to my surprise.
  • My favourite Christmas song, you always know Christmas is around the corner when that starts getting played on the radio.

Rather they didn't change the lyrics but not overly bothered TBH.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://youtu.be/TUSNzqqLFT0

The making of the fairytale of New York

Well worth a watch.
    Agreed, it’s great. 

The Pogues box set has a few demos to listen to. 

Just Look Them Straight In The Eye And Say... Poguemahone!! - The Pogues Box Set

• edited November 2020
    stonemuse said:
    I read somewhere that Kirsty MacColl before she passed away when singing live changed the wording as she didnt like to say it either.

Also Shane MacGowan apparently doesnt like the word and only used it because it fitted the narrative of 2 arseholes arguing.

But as I said if The Pogues whose song it is don't care then why should it matter
    I’ve seen them live many times including with Kirsty ... she always sang the correct lyrics as did Shane 
    Well she definitely didnt on top of the pops 

Before anyone says Top of the Pops was pre watershed, they kept Slut and Arse in, the only changed word was Faggot and that was in 1992

• Wait until you find out what the band's name means.

Fox getting "owned" as we kids say. Well said the Pouges.

Nothing too see here, made up storm in a tea cup over nothing. Coming soon - Muslims have banned Santa and schools aren't allowed to put on a nativity plays.

PS the Nips were better and wait till you find out what that was short for.
  • Can't say it really bothers me one way or the other, but I can't help but wonder why they haven't got better things to do. 
  • stonemuse said:
    I read somewhere that Kirsty MacColl before she passed away when singing live changed the wording as she didnt like to say it either.

Also Shane MacGowan apparently doesnt like the word and only used it because it fitted the narrative of 2 arseholes arguing.

But as I said if The Pogues whose song it is don't care then why should it matter
    I’ve seen them live many times including with Kirsty ... she always sang the correct lyrics as did Shane 
    Ditto.
  • Yet Radio 2 is playing the original version 
  • A flea in the ear for Loathesome Fox. 
    Whatever your thoughts on Fox, labelling him a Nazi (as the Pogues have effectively done) is loathsome. I do wonder if they know what the Nazis stood for or did.

By the by, not my favourite Christmas song by some margin. God knows why, but love "simply having a wonderful Christmas time" by McCartney and Wings.
  • Sponsored links:

• It IS culturally interesting that Radio 1 are playing the edited version, whereas Radio 2 will play the original. 
  • Wait until you find out what the band's name means.

Fox getting "owned" as we kids say. Well said the Pouges.

Nothing too see here, made up storm in a tea cup over nothing. Coming soon - Muslims have banned Santa and schools aren't allowed to put on a nativity plays.

PS the Nips were better and wait till you find out what that was short for.
    The Nipple Erectors - I remember the Nips and have a single of theirs.

Not a fan of censorship when it comes to the arts - people can be unpleasant and use unpleasant language. By the logic of Radio 1 we should start censoring literature, plays etc that use offensive language.

Perhaps we should just ban the past because it doesn't conform to modern standards.
  • It is a decision based on creating a false debate and the publicity that goes with it.
  • cafc999 said:
    Croydon said:
    cafc999 said:
    Generally explicit songs have words like fuck or shit in them and not a word that "may" mean something other than a large meatball 
    Except you know that isn't the meaning in this context.
  • Don’t worry about 50k dead from COVID, worry about a word on a station where this song will sound weird enough already 
  • Come on it's funny.
    I get all worked up and then thought to myself I dont even listen to radio 1