Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November | Match Preview... **** 1PM KICK OFF****

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21st November 2020 ... 1pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Lewis (Shrewsbury)

Introduction
They say Strikers get paid more than any other position as they're the players that win you games, they take the spotlight when a team is flying high and at the end of the season will largely take the plaudits as the best player in the League. Is it that straightforward though, yes a Striker will score goals but they its impossible for them to score every week, hell its even impossible for a team to score every game as there will surely be the odd defeat and scoreless draw... Ben Amos for one has certainly demonstrated that the Goalkeeper is just as important as the Striker, if he doesnt do his job then he makes it even harder for the Striker to do his, and whilst he was correct in saying its a team effort for keeping clean sheets; the Goalkeeper must surely take the ultimate plaudits for that and rightly so... We return from International Football this week and make the second shortest trip of the season to Gillingham, the defence has become a fortress in its own right, so its time to see if the break has either hindered our progress, or whether its going to make no difference what so ever!!

The Opposition
Name: Gillingham (16th) - Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: Priestfields Stadium
Last League Result: Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Gillingham

To an extent its ideal that our our opponents are Gillingham, after all they're another team who have recently had the week off after their own game at Lincoln City was postponed due to similar International Call ups, it means we're not facing a side who have momentum on their side so could well be just as rusty as ourselves. Gillingham did however face Arsenal U21s in the EFL Trophy last Tuesday, drawing 1-1 and ultimately losing on penalties to the youthful team from North London, something they're now surely used to after defeat against Charlton Athletic U18s in the FA Youth Cup earlier this week.

You could argue though that Gillingham this season have been something of a disappointed; Steve Evans their manager is an infamous figure in the lower leagues of the Football League yet despite that reputation is known as a man that can get promotion even from League One having achieved that fact with Rotherham United in 2014 via. the Play-Offs - Last season they would fall short of that target by just nine points finishing in a respectable tenth place. This season though and you'd question if the Gills could kick on and maybe return to the Championship, something they've not achieved now since 2005 when they'd have the likes of a youthful Matt Jarvis in their side!!

So this season they've certainly got the team that can perhaps be outsiders for the Play-Offs; Dominic Samuel brought in from Blackburn Rovers has never been a prolific striker (has two goals this term), yet is the Striker typical at this level who will no doubt keep Centre-Backs busy all afternoon - Whilst Kyle Dempsey in midfield was a one time Charlton target of Katrien Merie when he was on loan at Fleetwood, unfortunately on that occasion our esteemed CEO appeared to open negotiations with the wrong club, another period of our history that we can now look back on and laugh!!

Charlton Team News
Of course it wouldnt be the section of the preview if I didnt talk about injuries first; Alfie Doughty is of course going to be missing for a large period of the season, whilst reliable Akin Famewo will still remain absent for two weeks after picking up a minor issue during our victory on the South Coast at Portsmouth... Weirdly to say though and for now thats it, we appear at a period where Lee Bowyer could soon have a bit of a selection headache which after so long must be quite a nice feeling to have for the head chief.

So in terms of this Saturday its pretty obvious that three of the back five will pick itself with Ben Amos, Ryan Inniss and Ian Maatsen surely getting more appearances in the red of Charlton, elsewhere and you'd expect to see Adam Matthews at right-back (with Chris Gunter only returning to Sparrows Lane today)... The biggest question surrounding team selection will be whether we see Jason Pearce returning for his first League appearance of the season or whether this Saturday has honestly arrived too soon (as Bowyer alluded to recently), should that be the case then Mr Dependable; Darren Pratley will no doubt drop into the defence.

A reminder that this Saturday will see Bowyer able to make five substitutes during the game, despite being against the rule change

Amos
Matthews - Inniss - Pearce - Maatsen
Morgan - Watson - Shinnie
Maddison
Washington - Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Purrington - Gunter - Pratley - Williams - Bogle - Smyth

Prediction
We talk about potential rustiness and wonder if two weeks without league action will have dented our promotion push, yet in true Bowyer fashion we know he wont stand for any sloppiness from his players... The post-Doncaster interview is long gone where Lee mentioned that players could take it easy due to a lack of competition, instead if we see even one poor performance we know that they'll be out of the next game - Being an early kick-off its an opportunity to move to the top of the table (provided we win 4-0), something we've not achieved under current Management.

Lets not kid ourselves though; Gillingham arent there to be brushed aside, they'll be ready, waiting and will be eager to cause an upset!!

Onwards and Upwards!!

Comments

• We are due to give someone a spanking soon. Think Gillingham will be the unfortunate team to be on the end of a heavy defeat. 

0-3 Washington, Bogle and Shinnie 
  • Would say Gunter is a cert at centre back alongside innis, two zip Charlton..... and the reds go marching on,on,on 🎵
  • 0-2 and to start giving other teams a chance Amos will play with one hand tied behind his back
  • On paper we should be winning this, they have lost 4 of last 5 games (i know won the most recent), no excuse for time off when they have been off too. 

I expect comfortable 0-2 away win, hope its not one of those we take for granted, we need to push on from the international break which came at a bad time but could be useful for the players to have a little rest in between. 
  • Comfortable victory 0-3 all day long. 
  • Felt like forever, looking forward to Saturday. 1-2.
  • Comfortable 3-0 win to The Addicks . Bogle , Purrington and Smyth 
  • It will be interesting how Bowyer rotates his team, as we have 2 easier games Saturday and Tuesday followed by a tougher (on paper) trip to Ipswich

Washington is the only international who may be tired as he featured in all 3 N Ireland games whereas Gunter and Levitt only played significant minutes a week ago, while Jonny didn't play at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Good preview as ever ForeverAddickted. I thought the new 5 substitutions rule meant you can have 9 on the bench, in which case expect Levitt plus one other.
    As Tony Mowbray would say -"We should be beating teams like Charlton Gillingham", so 2-0 to The Addicks.
  • Good preview as ever ForeverAddickted. I thought the new 5 substitutions rule meant you can have 9 on the bench, in which case expect Levitt plus one other.
    As Tony Mowbray would say -"We should be beating teams like Charlton Gillingham", so 2-0 to The Addicks.
    Thanks Spooney - Nah I read on the other thread that League One and League Two will be keeping seven players on the bench 
  • Car park full of caravans Scally moaning about coaches and a 1-3 win for the Addicks, happy days. 
  • They’re bit of a jinx side for us. 1 - 1
  • Looking forward to this after a two week break. Think Pearce will be on the bench. Also think Aneke and Maddison will be on the bench. 1-0 to the addicks. Washington again I think.
  • I don't think the starting 11 will contain Pearce or Maddison. 
  • edited November 2020
    We rarely have it easy at Stella Street, they have a Pikey jammy hold over us normal folk, bit like but not as severe as the Spanners jinx.

Hoping for a really good win to rub Penfolds smug face in it, but i reckon an unlucky Desmond, 2-2.

• I'm a bit suspicious that our agreement with Man U means that Levitt has to be on the bench at least
  • Not expecting this to be at all comfortable, but I reckon we have seen off tougher opposition so should take home 3 points. Sadly think there's next to no chance we'll be top of the table for a few minutes at least.

Having both Famewo and Pearce out is a bit of a headache so fingers crossed Pearce is ahead of schedule and makes it. 5 subs might mean he gets more minutes in we couldn't afford before.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    That's another space on the bench up for grabs then

• edited November 2020
    Early kick off which doesn’t suit everyone...I’ll go for 1-1 (score draw for those doing the pools and I’ll also punt for a X in the bottom left corner of where the ball is).
  • Don't think Washington will play as had 3 tough games.
    Gunter can dove tail with Ryan at CB or play RB. Matthews will have trained for the last two weeks and will be fitter.
    We are spoilt for choice but we need to be sharp up front to take the victory. A top two team should always look to average two goals a game over a season. I don't like inviting pressure with luck playing a part when the ball keeps coming into the box.

We hope the last two weeks doesn't affect our momentum but having daily training should be good for the non internationals in the squad.
    Our strength this season is our depth in the 18 match day squad. Plenty of League matches for everyone to be involved.

• I suspect it will be more like:

Amos

Gunter, Pratley, Inniss, Maatsen

Watson

Forster- Caskey, Morgan

Shinnie

Bogle, Washington
  • Players' confidence will more than outweigh any rustiness. They must all still be buzzing after our winning run, while there is the added incentive of no player wanting to risk his place in the team due to a sloppy performance. It's interesting to see the different line-ups that lifers are  projecting but, more importantly, LB is spoilt for choice when it comes to naming his team. Can't see this going any other way than a Charlton victory. 
  • Er, not the ones I've seen.
  • MattF said:
    That's another space on the bench up for grabs then

Expect to see him back in 6 months
  • We're slowly moving away from any reliance or expectation from Johnny. Quite sad as always enjoyed the little dose of JW but seems to be following a familiar pattern now sadly :(