Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

1323334353638»

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    The careers of Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli should be a warning to our young players. They are 27 and 24 respectively and they have to start to demonstrate that the hunger to succeed is still there just to get a game at their respective clubs let alone near the England set up again.

Mason Greenwood is someone who specifically needs to take heed before it's too late and would recommend that he takes a look at what happened to Ravel Morrison to see what can happen. Described by Alex Ferguson as the most talented youngster he's ever seen, he's just made his debut for Jamaica in a 3-0 defeat to Saudi Arabia having played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U21. He's 27 now and has had 12 clubs and has made barely 100 appearances in total.

What has Greenwood done to justify being compared to Ravel Morrison? I must have missed that.
    I don’t think that’s unfair comparison. Both burst through at Utd with bags of talent. Think the OP just stating Greenwood’s career could easily go down the same path which I agree is easily done with a couple of bad decisions. 
    Ravel Morrison never burst through at Utd. He made three sub appearances in the league cup. 

Sad to see the press coverage of Greenwood is having its desired effect.
    Alex Ferguson also said he was the best player he had ever seen at that age (15/16). He never fulfiled that potential and was always searching for a fresh start. Still is. 

Nothing to do with the press coverage, it's just easy for a talented young footballer to quickly go down the wrong path. Greenwood has already causes controversy in a very short period of time.  
  • edited November 2020
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    The careers of Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli should be a warning to our young players. They are 27 and 24 respectively and they have to start to demonstrate that the hunger to succeed is still there just to get a game at their respective clubs let alone near the England set up again.

Mason Greenwood is someone who specifically needs to take heed before it's too late and would recommend that he takes a look at what happened to Ravel Morrison to see what can happen. Described by Alex Ferguson as the most talented youngster he's ever seen, he's just made his debut for Jamaica in a 3-0 defeat to Saudi Arabia having played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U21. He's 27 now and has had 12 clubs and has made barely 100 appearances in total.

What has Greenwood done to justify being compared to Ravel Morrison? I must have missed that.
    I don’t think that’s unfair comparison. Both burst through at Utd with bags of talent. Think the OP just stating Greenwood’s career could easily go down the same path which I agree is easily done with a couple of bad decisions. 
    Ravel Morrison never burst through at Utd. He made three sub appearances in the league cup. 

Sad to see the press coverage of Greenwood is having its desired effect.
    Alex Ferguson also said he was the best player he had ever seen at that age (15/16). He never fulfiled that potential and was always searching for a fresh start. Still is. 

Nothing to do with the press coverage, it's just easy for a talented young footballer to quickly go down the wrong path. Greenwood has already causes controversy in a very short period of time.  
    To go back to my original question, by doing what? Having a girl in his room, along with Foden? Is that it?
  • Chunes said:

That is the point I was trying to make. He has been warned at United for his constant lateness and "reminded about his responsibilities". He was left out of the England full and U21 squads because of his "mindset not being in the right place". He was also left out of the recent United squad due to "niggles".  My concern is that as the instigator of the girls in the hotel incident, in what was meant to be an England "bubble", football and playing for his country wasn't/isn't at the top of the list of his priorities

Greenwood is very young and will, hopefully, will learn from and will get his head down. However, at the same age, Ferguson allowed Morrison to leave United saying that he is "A brilliant footballer. Brilliant ability. Top class ability. Needs to get away from Manchester and start a new life". He never ever fulfilled that billing.

Sometimes success comes a bit too easy. By that I don't mean that a Greenwood doesn't deserve to get where he has at such a young age. What I mean is that getting in the first team and play for England as young as Greenwood is, it is easy to take your eye off the ball and think that you don't have to continue to work hard or act as a professional sportsman should. 

The money and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world with the adulation that comes with that can't help either.  Jamie Vardy, at the age of almost 34, is still as hungry to play football with the same enthusiasm as he was when he was rejected by Sheffield Wednesday at the age of 16. Because he's seen the other side of things, working in a factory making prosthetic limbs. And then having to go training for "boot" money. That's the real world. 
  • Really good match yesterday, even though essentially a nothing game but it shows playing against a side who just wanted to defend (particularly once they went down to 10) we were able to break them down. 

I would still start Sancho/Sterling ideally, just for pace and talent, however its good to have a different set up if needed Grealish/ Foden offer something completely different. 

Mount i prefer in a central role with a defensive midfielder (Henderson) , he plays that role perfect really.. although granted against a weaker team. I like his balance when coming forward and also gets involved alot. 

Saka came in the the game, definitely and option if we play with a wing back but again Chilwell starts. 

As ever sort out the defence, potentially keeper (i dont rate Pickford as World Class and think he might soon be on the bench for his club). 

Alot of positives and a good game to watch, thats without Kane banging in any chance like he would normally so could have been 6 or 7. 

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
    TAA                      Chilwell
          Mount Henderson
                 Grealish
             Kane Sterling

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
    TAA                        Chilwell
           Rice   Winks
    Foden                  Sancho
             Calvert-Lewin

There's 2 good options keeping Southgate's preferred back 3 with playing the one DM player, just need to keep the player to bridge the gap between defence and attack.
  • Really good match yesterday, even though essentially a nothing game but it shows playing against a side who just wanted to defend (particularly once they went down to 10) we were able to break them down. 

I would still start Sancho/Sterling ideally, just for pace and talent, however its good to have a different set up if needed Grealish/ Foden offer something completely different. 

Mount i prefer in a central role with a defensive midfielder (Henderson) , he plays that role perfect really.. although granted against a weaker team. I like his balance when coming forward and also gets involved alot. 

Saka came in the the game, definitely and option if we play with a wing back but again Chilwell starts. 

As ever sort out the defence, potentially keeper (i dont rate Pickford as World Class and think he might soon be on the bench for his club). 

Alot of positives and a good game to watch, thats without Kane banging in any chance like he would normally so could have been 6 or 7. 

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
          Mount Henderson
                 Grealish
             Kane Sterling

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
           Rice   Winks
             Calvert-Lewin

There's 2 good options keeping Southgate's preferred back 3 with playing the one DM player, just need to keep the player to bridge the gap between defence and attack.
    They are decent line ups.

Not sure I’d go 352 but as long as there’s only 1DM in there and attacking full backs I can support it.

Finding a way to have Foden and Grealish on the pitch together is hard without neglecting Sterling. That’s where Gareth needs to get it right.

Would probably go James over TAA too at this point. Whilst Trent is slightly better going forward there’s just something about James’ all round game that I really rate.

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
          Mount Henderson
                 Grealish
             Kane Sterling

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
           Rice   Winks
             Calvert-Lewin

I think Dier might be in his first 11, although i prefer Coady but as he is playing well for his club unless we lose him to injury or he loses form for spurs he will be in there. Also you cant drop Walker , zero chance of that happening. 

TAA , i dont feel he suits England but plays for best team in the world so likely he will be picked. Prefer RJ for England, but not the worst problem. 

I agree we have two solid sides but the key is he needs to play one defensive player, no Rice / Henderson one off them plus someone who can get forward and create

Writing it down still alot of work but there are alot of positives and the team is shaping up well.  
  • You have to pick Henderson.   He has been faultless for Liverpool and England for a while.  He should play as the holding midfielder with dare I say it Foden and Mount.

Grealish, Sterling and Kane as a front 3.

Great piece by the BBC actually.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54991911
  • Just done the select option, 3 different formations:

433: Pope, James, Walker, Maguire, Chilwell
    Mount, Henderson, Winks
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

4231: Pickford, James, Walker, Maguire, Chilwell
    Mount, Henderson
    Sacho, Foden, Sterling
    Kane

352: Pickford, Walker, Coady Maguire
    TAA, Mount, Henderson, Grealish, Chilwell
    Sterling Kane (did think Calvert Lewin but only way we get Sterling in the team)

Based on the above 3/5/2 looks my preferred with the team available and allows for Grealish. 

Keeper i am not really that happy about but not really sure its worth changing unless he gets dropped. 

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
          Mount Henderson
                 Grealish
             Kane Sterling

GK
      Gomez Maguire Coady
           Rice   Winks
             Calvert-Lewin

I think Dier might be in his first 11, although i prefer Coady but as he is playing well for his club unless we lose him to injury or he loses form for spurs he will be in there. Also you cant drop Walker , zero chance of that happening. 

TAA , i dont feel he suits England but plays for best team in the world so likely he will be picked. Prefer RJ for England, but not the worst problem. 

I agree we have two solid sides but the key is he needs to play one defensive player, no Rice / Henderson one off them plus someone who can get forward and create

Writing it down still alot of work but there are alot of positives and the team is shaping up well.  
    Yeah I didn't put much thought into the defence tbh, TAA I went with purely on Liverpool but with his form dipped there's a case for Trippier and James. 

I still feel a ball player in defence (Gomez) would round the side off, unless you drop walker or play Gomez left of the 3 then think that dream of mine will have to wait. Dier is fair alternative as he knows how to act in Midfield to step out from the back to close down/ link to the midfield duo. 

Someone of the Blind mould for the Netherlands, CB, LB and DM all in one, can play in a back 3 and 2, brings the ball out and can ping a 20 yarder up to a forward.
  • edited November 2020
    To be honest put Foden on the wing and Grealish central and that 4231 looks a bit tasty.

Sancho/ Rashford/ Calvert Lewin off the bench, it’s almost criminal how much attacking depth we have.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Chunes said:

That is the point I was trying to make. He has been warned at United for his constant lateness and "reminded about his responsibilities". He was left out of the England full and U21 squads because of his "mindset not being in the right place". He was also left out of the recent United squad due to "niggles".  My concern is that as the instigator of the girls in the hotel incident, in what was meant to be an England "bubble", football and playing for his country wasn't/isn't at the top of the list of his priorities

Greenwood is very young and will, hopefully, will learn from and will get his head down. However, at the same age, Ferguson allowed Morrison to leave United saying that he is "A brilliant footballer. Brilliant ability. Top class ability. Needs to get away from Manchester and start a new life". He never ever fulfilled that billing.

Sometimes success comes a bit too easy. By that I don't mean that a Greenwood doesn't deserve to get where he has at such a young age. What I mean is that getting in the first team and play for England as young as Greenwood is, it is easy to take your eye off the ball and think that you don't have to continue to work hard or act as a professional sportsman should. 

The money and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world with the adulation that comes with that can't help either.  Jamie Vardy, at the age of almost 34, is still as hungry to play football with the same enthusiasm as he was when he was rejected by Sheffield Wednesday at the age of 16. Because he's seen the other side of things, working in a factory making prosthetic limbs. And then having to go training for "boot" money. That's the real world. 
    I hope you're open to going through these.

"Lateness" - In response to this particular story, Greenwood's manager said he vehemently denied he had been late and said he "can't believe" the recent stories about the youngster's apparent lack of professionalism. It seems this story only met the journalistic standards of the Sun and the Daily Mail. The same papers that targeted Raheem Sterling.
    You say he was the "instigator" of the girls incident, do you have a source for that? I can't find anything.
    "Niggles" ? If niggles are proof of a bad attitude, we must have the league one equivalent of a prison team.

Yes he was sent home from the full squad, along with Foden. And still the same question remains, what else has he done other than that? 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I hope you're open to going through these.

"Lateness" - In response to this particular story, Greenwood's manager said he vehemently denied he had been late and said he "can't believe" the recent stories about the youngster's apparent lack of professionalism. It seems this story only met the journalistic standards of the Sun and the Daily Mail. The same papers that targeted Raheem Sterling.
    You say he was the "instigator" of the girls incident, do you have a source for that? I can't find anything.
    "Niggles" ? If niggles are proof of a bad attitude, we must have the league one equivalent of a prison team.

Yes he was sent home from the full squad, along with Foden. And still the same question remains, what else has he done other than that? 

Not a problem Chunes.

I may well be so with regards to the hotel incident because it appears that both were equally culpable. And it was shocking that they both had such little regard to their responsibilities and how, if this hadn't come out so early, the ramifications might have been so much greater. This was not simply a case of sneaking girls into a room.

The two have been treated differently. Why is that though?

Solskjaer is never ever going to publicly admit that there are disciplinary issues is he? When asked about the "niggles" he said “I can’t declare medical stuff can I?". Why can't he? Every Manager does unless there is something to hide. 

Then we had the England U21s boss Aidy Boothroyd admitted Greenwood 'has had a lot of niggling injuries and a lot of things going on in his life'.  Why would Boothroyd say that?

This is what was said in another article from The Athletic which may go some way to explain things:

Mason Greenwood continues to struggle at Man Utd as ‘concerns’ over his sleep pattern and ‘lethargic’ training sessions have come to the fore.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left Greenwood out of the squad that travelled to face and beat Everton on Saturday, explaining that the teenager “wasn’t feeling well”.

But The Athletic report that ‘a lethargic display in training’ on Friday, as well as more general questions over his ‘work rate at Carrington’ in recent days, had put a starting place in jeopardy.

Greenwood had apparently been ‘warned’ over his behaviour in late October, the forward starting just three Premier League games this season as an apparent punishment.

Solskjaer himself rejected some claims over the player, insisting he had never been late for training and remained “professional”.

But there are ‘renewed questions’ over Greenwood’s commitment, particularly ‘whether he is getting enough sleep’.

The club have attempted to use Cristiano Ronaldo’s progression from teenage prodigy to world-class talent at Old Trafford as ‘the clearest example’ for Greenwood, but he ‘is failing to understand this process at present’.

There is hope that such ‘maturity’ will come with age and perhaps even the guidance of more experienced players such as Edinson Cavani.

Solskjaer even went to the lengths of stressing to Gareth Southgate the importance of Greenwood staying with Man Utd during this international break. The two managers had a phone call during which Solskjaer was ‘firm in his belief’ the player must stay with his club.

The difference in reaction to what went on abroad is why Foden has been playing for City and returned to the England fold and why Greenwood hasn't been playing for United and wasn't selected for England. 

I have not suggested that Greenwood is on the road to nowhere. What I am saying is that if he wants to stay at the top he has to commit to doing that. His actions have already cost him a regular starting place in the United team and his place in the England squad. This hopefully will be the shake up that he needs. Many players have come back from worst. But some don't.

I also mentioned not just Greenwood but also Lingaard and Dele Alli who were both, not so long ago, fixtures in the England squad. Now, at the age of 27 and 24 respectively, they can't even get a starting place at their clubs. They didn't become bad players overnight. But, perhaps, they just don't have the hunger anymore?

Mount, Henderson, Winks
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Mount, Henderson
    Sacho, Foden, Sterling
    Kane

Sterling Kane (did think Calvert Lewin but only way we get Sterling in the team)

Based on the above 3/5/2 looks my preferred with the team available and allows for Grealish. 

Keeper i am not really that happy about but not really sure its worth changing unless he gets dropped. 
    Shows how strong we are in attack that you've not even chosen Rashford in any of your 3 lineups.

I wouldn't be too convinced by Walker in a centre back pairing either. Would rather have someone like Mings who plays thee regularly.

Mount, Henderson, Winks
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Mount, Henderson
    Sacho, Foden, Sterling
    Kane

Shows how strong we are in attack that you've not even chosen Rashford in any of your 3 lineups.

I wouldn't be too convinced by Walker in a centre back pairing either. Would rather have someone like Mings who plays thee regularly.
    Yeah there’s no way Walker should be played in a CB pairing, his positional sense would get him in all sorts of trouble. He plays well in a back 3 because his pace helps him cover and stop players exploiting the wide areas left open with TAA/James going forward.
  • 433:
    Pope
    James, Gomez, Mings, Chilwell
    Henderson, Winks, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

343:
    Pickford
    Walker, Coady, Maguire
    TAA, Rice, Foden, Saka
    Sancho, DCL, Rashford

2 different XIs in each of Southgates most used systems, the best thing is so many of those players are interchangeable. We should be able to easily switch midgame if required.

Mount, Henderson, Winks
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Mount, Henderson
    Sacho, Foden, Sterling
    Kane

That is crazy, didn't even think of that, still kind of stick by it though. Rashford playing well we would probably find a way but might be a tricky one. Although if he hits form for United could see it happening, just for me Sterling and Kane our our two world class players for me and they are the positions he plays so as a back up for now. I do think Foden and Sancho will be World Class category within the next couple of years, i have always thought they are our most exciting prospects through the years and still are on the right track. 

Mount, Henderson, Winks
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Mount, Henderson
    Sacho, Foden, Sterling
    Kane

Yeah there’s no way Walker should be played in a CB pairing, his positional sense would get him in all sorts of trouble. He plays well in a back 3 because his pace helps him cover and stop players exploiting the wide areas left open with TAA/James going forward.
    Very fair point, i nearly didn't pick him in the 4 at the back, could have had Mings or Gomez. Just i find it hard to drop him, could move out to the right i suppose. 
  • To me, you pick the best eleven players (within reason) and adapt the system to suit them. For that reason I would go for a back four:

Pope* 

James   Maguire    Gomez     Chillwell

Grealish    Henderson   Foden

Rashford          Kane               Sterling   

*but Henderson if he could only get a first team slot somewhere   
  • To me, you pick the best eleven players (within reason) and adapt the system to suit them. For that reason I would go for a back four:

Pope* 

No way, thats why we have done bad with good squads. Think lampard/Gerrad/scholes. You need to find the system that suits players but you cant just put Foden/Grealish in the middle, although they could play there its not there main position. 

A side point i wouldn't really drop Sancho/Foden or Grealish for Rashford right now, possibly if he hits form he might fit in somewhere but i wouldnt put one of them in the middle to cater for it personally, but each to their own. 

i dont mind 433 set up but would see quite a different team, re: Gomez i think he is brilliant but he has shown lately with his form he isn't quite ready. Although we dont have lots of CB to choose again i wouldn't put him in the squad but possibly his form and confidence will be back before the Euros. 

Pope* 

No way, thats why we have done bad with good squads. Think lampard/Gerrad/scholes. You need to find the system that suits players but you cant just put Foden/Grealish in the middle, although they could play there its not there main position. 

A side point i wouldn't really drop Sancho/Foden or Grealish for Rashford right now, possibly if he hits form he might fit in somewhere but i wouldnt put one of them in the middle to cater for it personally, but each to their own. 

i dont mind 433 set up but would see quite a different team, re: Gomez i think he is brilliant but he has shown lately with his form he isn't quite ready. Although we dont have lots of CB to choose again i wouldn't put him in the squad but possibly his form and confidence will be back before the Euros. 
    Foden and Grealish do play there for their clubs. For example (midfield three in bold):

Ederson MoraesRuben Diasyellow cardK WalkerN Akeyellow cardP Foden (Fernandinho, 89), B SilvaRodriyellow cardR MahrezJoao Canceloyellow cardR SterlingS Aguero (I Gundogan, 65)

The reason we couldn't accommodate Lampard/Gerard/Scholes is because we used to play 4-4-2 and none of those three were at their best playing as a holding midfielder or out wide for that matter. Henderson is there to sit. Equally, Rashford and Sterling (as they do for United and City) will still defend from the front. James is preferred because we have enough to create without a TAA bombing forward and leaving gaps behind him.

The spine is strong with leaders in Maguire, Henderson and Kane.

Belgium are number one in the world. They haven't got there because of their defensive abilities. Far from it. They've only kept two clean sheets in their last 10 matches. As I keep saying, let's play like them to our strengths and no our weaknesses.

Agree that Gomez would only be picked on the assumption that he has returned to form. His pace will be an asset.