Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Grealish, Kane, Sterling and Foden should be the first four names on the team sheet, You should be able to build any team around them.
  • Tonight we've seen that the ability to pass beats pace!!
  • supaclive said:
    One holding midfielder allows the shackles to come off.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK / SOUTHGATE!!!
    So how about actually giving him credit for doing it, and getting the result, rather than making it some sort of dig? 

England have been great tonight. 
  • Grealish, Kane, Sterling and Foden should be the first four names on the team sheet, You should be able to build any team around them.
    Thing is we got the options now. Against poor teams that sit back we can play Foden, Grealish etc yet when we play against teams like Belgium we have to play people like sterling and sancho with pace. 
  • cafctom said:
    supaclive said:
    One holding midfielder allows the shackles to come off.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK / SOUTHGATE!!!
    So how about actually giving him credit for doing it, and getting the result, rather than making it some sort of dig? 

England have been great tonight. 
    The fear is that he will revert to type against stronger opposition - Iceland have had one shot all game and that wasn't on target and been playing for 35 minutes with 10 men
    He has to though, stronger / faster teams would probably murder our defence tonight

If that back five (defence and defensive midfield) were Champions League quality then I imagine that Southgate would love to do it

Unfortunately its largely mid-table Premier League if you put them in one team together
    Thing is we got the options now. Against poor teams that sit back we can play Foden, Grealish etc yet when we play against teams like Belgium we have to play people like sterling and sancho with pace. 
    100%, we have the pace and the technical ability for maybe the first time ever

Its the reason I want Southgate to get it right. We have a very good and versatile squad 
    I did include Sterling in the four. If we had a back four and only one holding midfielder we could accommodate all five,
  • I haven't seen the game, but I'm not sure tonight proves anything about what formation or tactics we should use in the Euros, as Iceland are so much weaker than Belgium (who beat Denmark 4-2 tonight)

What we don't know, is how we would have played with just one holding midfielder against a quality side. Sunday was the chance to try that, which Southgate didn't take up
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't seen the game, but I'm not sure tonight proves anything about what formation or tactics we should use in the Euros, as Iceland are so much weaker than Belgium (who beat Denmark 4-2 tonight)

What we don't know, is how we would have played with just one holding midfielder against a quality side. Sunday was the chance to try that, which Southgate didn't take up
    Hopefully we can get some good friendlies lined up ahead of the Euros

March Internationals onwards will see us play in World Cup Qualification so cant see us getting a big team in that

March Internationals onwards will see us play in World Cup Qualification so cant see us getting a big team in that
    Friendlies are never the same, and as you say we'll be back to playing cannon fodder in the WC qualifiers

Sunday was the chance to try something in a competitive match against top class opposition
  • Hadn't realised that the Republic of Ireland haven't scored in their last seven internationals and for over 11 hours of football. In fact they've only had two goals in their last 11 matches and they were both scored by defenders 
  • supaclive said:
    I haven't seen the game, but I'm not sure tonight proves anything about what formation or tactics we should use in the Euros, as Iceland are so much weaker than Belgium (who beat Denmark 4-2 tonight)

Friendlies are never the same, and as you say we'll be back to playing cannon fodder in the WC qualifiers

Sunday was the chance to try something in a competitive match against top class opposition
    This is why everybody is frustrated.  We need to try in competitive games.   Tonight wasn't that.

Our strength is our attacking play.  Utilise it.
    Don't play it safe
    Don't play it cautious.

That's from the (female) England International.   She talks 100%
    The trouble is pundits have free reign over what they can say as their actions wont have an impact on results - If we took that formation on Sunday and lost 5-0 to Belgium do you think that they'd be singing the same tune?

Its doubtful as they'd be complaining that Southgate didn't go tighter in defence
  • Confirmed pots for UEFA Qualifying of the 2022 World Cup

• Draw is 7th December

Luxembourg are really jumping up the rankings arent they
  • supaclive said:
    I haven't seen the game, but I'm not sure tonight proves anything about what formation or tactics we should use in the Euros, as Iceland are so much weaker than Belgium (who beat Denmark 4-2 tonight)

This is why everybody is frustrated.  We need to try in competitive games.   Tonight wasn't that.

Our strength is our attacking play.  Utilise it.
    Don't play it safe
    Don't play it cautious.

That's from the (female) England International.   She talks 100%
    The trouble is pundits have free reign over what they can say as their actions wont have an impact on results - If we took that formation on Sunday and lost 5-0 to Belgium do you think that they'd be singing the same tune?

Its doubtful as they'd be complaining that Southgate didn't go tighter in defence
    And we could have won 5-2.  So we try it and see!
    We've won fuck all in 55 years next year!
  • Sponsored links:

Absolutely.

Mad how in the space of a few weeks Grealish has gone from someone Southgate didn't seem to rate, to probably our most exciting player.
  • Rice comes in for a lot of stick I think he’s been excellent tonight. With Henderson he probably doesn’t know his role but when he’s with a ball playing CM he comes into his own.
    He had a decent game, but he isn't at the level yet. This game was an easier game to impress in. If Henderson is fit, Rice should be on the bench at best.

AA has suggested the first four names (which I agree with) on the teamsheet and I would add Henderson to those.   
  • The careers of Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli should be a warning to our young players. They are 27 and 24 respectively and they have to start to demonstrate that the hunger to succeed is still there just to get a game at their respective clubs let alone near the England set up again.

Mason Greenwood is someone who specifically needs to take heed before it's too late and would recommend that he takes a look at what happened to Ravel Morrison to see what can happen. Described by Alex Ferguson as the most talented youngster he's ever seen, he's just made his debut for Jamaica in a 3-0 defeat to Saudi Arabia having played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U21. He's 27 now and has had 12 clubs and has made barely 100 appearances in total.

As I keep saying, talent is never enough. Which is why I like Grealish. He's made mistakes in his life but no one can deny that he wants to play football. And that really is half the battle. But, perhaps, the key is that he didn't come through the system at a big club (or move to one when he could have done so) and think he'd made it already. Like Lingard, Morrison and Greenwood at United for example.

• So you set up with a midfield that can support the attack and you get a better performance and result. 

Yes it was against Iceland but that's not the point, often the "lesser" teams are harder to play against.

Show the same faith in our players against better sides and we'll have better performances against them. 

Play to your strengths as someone else said, it's what Belgium do.
  • That’s the thing, it’s harder to score against an Icelandic back 9 than it is Belgium.

Foden and Grealish both press really well too, so if you can find a way to get Sterling in front of them you could have a field day.

We did it once against Spain and it was probably the most ruthless England display I’ve ever seen. Do it correctly at the Euros and we can beat anyone.
  • edited November 2020
    The careers of Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli should be a warning to our young players. They are 27 and 24 respectively and they have to start to demonstrate that the hunger to succeed is still there just to get a game at their respective clubs let alone near the England set up again.

Mason Greenwood is someone who specifically needs to take heed before it's too late and would recommend that he takes a look at what happened to Ravel Morrison to see what can happen. Described by Alex Ferguson as the most talented youngster he's ever seen, he's just made his debut for Jamaica in a 3-0 defeat to Saudi Arabia having played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U21. He's 27 now and has had 12 clubs and has made barely 100 appearances in total.

What has Greenwood done to justify being compared to Ravel Morrison? I must have missed that.

He scored 17 goals last season as an 18-year-old.
  • Chunes said:
    The careers of Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli should be a warning to our young players. They are 27 and 24 respectively and they have to start to demonstrate that the hunger to succeed is still there just to get a game at their respective clubs let alone near the England set up again.

What has Greenwood done to justify being compared to Ravel Morrison? I must have missed that.
    I don’t think that’s unfair comparison. Both burst through at Utd with bags of talent. Think the OP just stating Greenwood’s career could easily go down the same path which I agree is easily done with a couple of bad decisions. 
  • Really good match yesterday, even though essentially a nothing game but it shows playing against a side who just wanted to defend (particularly once they went down to 10) we were able to break them down. 

I would still start Sancho/Sterling ideally, just for pace and talent, however its good to have a different set up if needed Grealish/ Foden offer something completely different. 

Mount i prefer in a central role with a defensive midfielder (Henderson) , he plays that role perfect really.. although granted against a weaker team. I like his balance when coming forward and also gets involved alot. 

Saka came in the the game, definitely and option if we play with a wing back but again Chilwell starts. 

As ever sort out the defence, potentially keeper (i dont rate Pickford as World Class and think he might soon be on the bench for his club). 

Alot of positives and a good game to watch, thats without Kane banging in any chance like he would normally so could have been 6 or 7. 
  • edited November 2020
    Chunes said:

I don’t think that’s unfair comparison. Both burst through at Utd with bags of talent. Think the OP just stating Greenwood’s career could easily go down the same path which I agree is easily done with a couple of bad decisions. 
    Ravel Morrison never burst through at Utd. He made three sub appearances in the league cup. 

Sad to see the press coverage of Greenwood is having its desired effect.

The road to Qatar begins. Always hope we get a home nation & Ireland in the group stage to add some excitement to normally a routine qualifying campaign.