Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Urban owls.

For the last week or so I’ve heard an owl hooting each night and early morning. I live next to Slade Pond in Plumstead, so there’s a small wood around the pond for it to live in. It’s brilliant.

However I don’t know what sort of owl would live here. Anyone know what type it’s likely to be?

Comments

• iainment said:
    For the last week or so I’ve heard an owl hooting each night and early morning. I live next to Slade Pond in Plumstead, so there’s a small wood around the pond for it to live in. It’s brilliant.

However I don’t know what sort of owl would live here. Anyone know what type it’s likely to be?
    If it's a "hooooo" sound, probably a Tawny owl. Barn owls screech!
  • I don't know but we've heard an owl in Bromley this year.
  • Urban Owls?

Is that that Fat Ched Barnstenworth and Billy Grimethorpe of Owlerton...
  • We’re off New St Hill in Sundridge Park. Quite often hear the “hooooo” type owls. 
  • edited November 2020
    Theres been a tawny owl here in Lee, near the quaggy for about 12 months now.

I thought It was a one off when i first heard it, but I've heard it many times now.
    It once left the entrails and skin of a mouse on a table in the back garden.
  • Got a friend ITK who said, and I quote, 'Tawny Owl. Definitely'. 
  • Yeah, Tawny Owl. We've got a pair here where I live in Sale. Hear them most nights in the small hours
  • edited November 2020
    We have quite a few owls in Beckenham that I hear from my front room, kitchen and when I go for a run.  There are some in Harvington, the Park Langley Estate and Bethlem.  There are also a group of badgers in Bethlem that pop out onto the pavement and so I see them when running past that way.
  • Definitely a Tawny Owl, love the hoot of an owl, as we live in a rural isolated place we have owls hooting most nights from the trees around us, Barn Owls screech & are very distinctive, almost fox like or a small child screaming - can be alarming if you don't know what the noise is. 
  • Definitely a Tawny Owl, love the hoot of an owl, as we live in a rural isolated place we have owls hooting most nights from the trees around us, Barn Owls screech & are very distinctive, almost fox like or a small child screaming - can be alarming if you don't know what the noise is. 
    I occasionally hear both Tawny and Barn owls

Other creatures screech too, it took me a long time to realise that squirrels screech when they sense danger, as I'd assumed the noise was from birds!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks all. 🦉 

Now I’ll try and spot it and perhaps get a picture.
  • i was expecting this to be a football factory type post about sheff wed supporters fighting the palace ultras
  • edited November 2020
    I've not seen an owl since the early 60s.

• OK, it wasn't urban but many years ago we were walking near the beach in Goa and sitting on a telephone wire was a four or five inch pure white owl.  I can still picture it to this day, one of the most beautiful birds I've ever seen.
  • living opposite a big wood down a quiet country lane we hear owls all time. I picked up an Indian a while ago and on the way home a Barn Owl was flying along just ahead of the car. It was a moonlit night and it looked magnificent flying along. 
  • I used to live on the hollies in sidcup and was walking the dog late one evening and an owl swooped down out of nowhere in front of me...its wing span was massive

Says a lot for bio diversity if they survive in urban environments....I live near @LargeAddick so can confirm there's a lot of bird life here ..a lot of buzzards and the occasional red kite 

Just one thing  at this time of the year you will find the rodent population looking for somewhere warmer to live ..try not to use poison and if you do be careful..once it gets into the food chain then the above will be one of the first to suffer 
  • There are tawny owls in oxleas woods.
    Not an expert but wouldn’t surprise me if offspring of those have fledged looking for their own patch of woodland.
  • I use to hear an owl hoot in Kilburn but sadly no longer. It’s somehow comforting to hear as though it was keeping watch over the neighbourhood.