Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derelict London

I discovered this website today, interesting features on pubs, sports grounds, music venues, cinemas etc.
https://www.derelictlondon.com/

Comments

• He’s written a great book on lost music venues
  • Some good pictures of 'The Victoria' pub external &  internal & many other old pubs in south east London, the old sports grounds section is also interesting & it is sad how these places have been left to be vandalised or fall into disrepair.
  • I went on a "Lost Rivers" walk with Paul Talling, it was excellent. His knowledge of London's history is outstanding.
  • A great website that. On the one hand it's sad seeing old buildings decay, on the other when they are cleared and replaces with dull flats or shops it's often worse!
  • I've been on loads of Paul's walks, they're well worth doing - Dirty Dartford's a treat. Save some time at the end for the pub after, lots of chat about old bands and non-league football. And maybe the pub after that... 
  • as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s
  • edited November 2020
    as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s
    That reminds me of stories my dad used to tell me. He was born in 1940 and spent his childhood playing in the bombsites dotted around Pimlico. 

When I think of derelict land in London it reminds me of the river walk I used to do between Charlton and Greenwich. It was amazing how much waste land there used to be there even 10-15 years ago.
  • as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s
    That reminds me of stories my dad used to tell me. He was born in 1940 and spent his childhood playing in the bombsites dotted around Pimlico. 

When I think of derelict land in London it reminds me of the river walk I used to do between Charlton and Greenwich. It was amazing how much waste land there used to be there even 10-15 years ago.
    and of course the docks were a huge abandoned area for years .. my friend's house in Surrey Docks (now posh Quays lol) backed onto the docks. We used to clamber over the back wall and wander around for hours, silent as the grave with the huge abandoned cranes and empty warehouses where flats now sell for hundreds of thousands. There was no security at all, no lights, had to watch you didn't take a false step and end up in the drink
  • Sponsored links:

and of course the docks were a huge abandoned area for years .. my friend's house in Surrey Docks (now posh Quays lol) backed onto the docks. We used to clamber over the back wall and wander around for hours, silent as the grave with the huge abandoned cranes and empty warehouses where flats now sell for hundreds of thousands. There was no security at all, no lights, had to watch you didn't take a false step and end up in the drink
    One of Paul's routes is along the route of the Surrey Canal - amazing to think how different things would be down there if it hadn't been filled in. 

One of Paul's routes is along the route of the Surrey Canal - amazing to think how different things would be down there if it hadn't been filled in. 
    Could've gone to Millwall away by boat!

I did the same in Woolwich, Beresford St and the streets off, took quite a bombing as the Germans were trying to bomb the Arsenal factory

Me too, Lincs - plenty around Plumstead and there was one directly opposite Earl Rise School Junior entrance.

Amazing when you think The Long Good Friday was about an idea to redevelop the docks. 
  • There's a whole history of CAFC under the sports ground section.

excuse me for reprising this post, I should have mentioned that the abandoned docks soon became a haven for a wide variety of different birds, ranging from swans to pigeons to gulls and sparrows as well as wild cats (probably attracted by the birds) and foxes. When man abandons his habitats for any reason, various flora and fauna soon move back in
  • Paul's walks are excellent - the only problem is getting a ticket for them now because they're so popular.

Did the Hampstead Heath one with him last month and ended up having a drink or several with him afterwards in the Archway Tavern. Top bloke with an encyclopaedic knowledge of London music, as well as all the things he mentions on the walks. If you've not been on one I'd recommend starting with the River Fleet walk. Loads of interesting facts and places and usually an opportunity for a beer or two in Camden afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s

Me too, Lincs - plenty around Plumstead and there was one directly opposite Earl Rise School Junior entrance.
    I remember cycling down the craters near Blackheath in the ‘50s
  • bobmunro said:

We called them the dips.
    I used to live 1 minute away.
  • bobmunro said:

We called them the dips.
    Dug to create ballast for the ships being built at Woolwich i believe.
    Anyone know if this is true or not or how they were formed.
  • bobmunro said:

We called them the dips.
    I think they were from sand/gravel mining/quarrying. Lot of that went on around there. Including the creation of the Blackheath Caves, which I only found out about yesterday!
  • Also used when someone had a "FIGHT!!!!" at Roan in the 70's...
  • edited November 2020
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

We called them the dips.
    I think they were from sand/gravel mining/quarrying. Lot of that went on around there. Including the creation of the Blackheath Caves, which I only found out about yesterday!
    I thought it was this - but whatever, definitely not bomb sites...
  • Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

We called them the dips.
    I wondered where Barcave was.
  • clive said:
    I discovered this website today, interesting features on pubs, sports grounds, music venues, cinemas etc.
    https://www.derelictlondon.com/
    Thanks for posting this Clive...great website. I have really got into SE London history at the moment. Reading Greenwich Peninsula Greenwich Marsh by Mary Mills which is fascinating and  Neil Rhinds Balckheath Village  & Environs. Both great reads especially in Lockdown.  I think it is so important to preserve the heritage before developers turn Douth East London into on big housing development.
  • Superb pics … the Derelict London book is great