Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good Luck in Serbia Scotland (12/11/2020)

Comments

• Well played Scotland.
  • Watched the game live. They deserved the victory and all the players put everything into the game.
    Love a bit of banter and a wind up, but pleased for them.
  • edited November 2020
    Can't stand their league, but the Scots are British and as such, unless playing us they have my support. 

Nations that get my support in order of preference:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Italy (Spent 30 years believing my Father was Italian & Romanian... He may still be, but nothing on Ancestry)
    Romania
    N.Ireland / ROI equally
  • It was going to happen sooner or later with the expanded format of the Euros. It was designed purely to get the minnows in. Albania last time out and North Macedonia and Scotland this time.
    All it's taken is 8 extra teams and a new format to qualifying that gives teams two chances.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Can't stand their league, but the Scots are British and as such, unless playing us they have my support. 

Nations that get my support in order of preference:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Italy (Spent 30 years believing my Father was Italian & Romanian... He may still be, but nothing on Ancestry)
    Romania
    N.Ireland / ROI equally
    I think Charlton would need to sign another 4 or 5 welsh international players before I consider beginning to support them. Still bitter about Euro 2016.
  • Bollox to Scotland

this is a no win situation

beat them 3-0 and it is expected.
    Fail to win and we won't hear the end of it.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Bollox to Scotland

I wouldn't worry . England will rip them a new one at Wembley 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Bollox to Scotland

I wouldn't worry . England will rip them a new one at Wembley 
    Expect us to win but based on last night Scotland are much improved.
  • As long as we don’t see this again:

• Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Bollox to Scotland

When we beat them 3 or 4 nil, I’ll certainly be celebrating, regardless of if it was expected. Cannot wait.
  • Some Scottish players in tears at the end! You’d have thought they won the bloody thing, not scrapped qualification
    Shame some of the (young) England players aren't so passionate about playing for their country - more interested in and partying and getting their leg over
    One of those two involved has seriously gone off the rails according to latest rumours. I’m inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. 99% of the players we have playing for England really do care. A few tears from Jock McDougle last night doesn’t change that.
  • My head hurts after a few celebratory whiskeys last night.

Made all the more interesting having England in the group.

ps uri geller is a massive fanny 
  • Some Scottish players in tears at the end! You’d have thought they won the bloody thing, not scrapped qualification
    Shame some of the (young) England players aren't so passionate about playing for their country - more interested in and partying and getting their leg over
    One of those two involved has seriously gone off the rails according to latest rumours. I’m inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. 99% of the players we have playing for England really do care. A few tears from Jock McDougle last night doesn’t change that.
    In what way has he (I've not heard)? I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt (in the circumstances I am aware of). Too many in recent years with poor attitude and recently seeming to think they are above the covid precautions (don't like 'celebrities' who think the same), putting others at risk.

I  admire the reaction by the Scottish players last night, possibly enhanced by the coivd situation
  • Chizz said:
    I wonder how many recordings he makes before sharing one that is correct!
  • edited November 2020
    Some Scottish players in tears at the end! You’d have thought they won the bloody thing, not scrapped qualification
    In what way has he (I've not heard)? I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt (in the circumstances I am aware of). Too many in recent years with poor attitude and recently seeming to think they are above the covid precautions (don't like 'celebrities' who think the same), putting others at risk.

I  admire the reaction by the Scottish players last night, possibly enhanced by the coivd situation
    They’re 17 years old. 

Greenwood seems to having a lot of problems off the field, his very close friend just committed suicide (he played for Man City). 

There are some rumours going round that he’s just been arrested for something very serious, although not confirmed. 

It was only two years ago that we witnessed our young team get to a World Cup semi final. We’ve also reached the nations league finals and qualified for the euros with an almost impeccable record. Let’s not think Scotland players care more cos Mitrovic missed a penalty and they shed a few tears.

I really don’t understand this mentality that when someone does something good we have to immediately compare it with English pro footballers.

They’re 17 years old. 

Greenwood seems to having a lot of problems off the field, his very close friend just committed suicide (he played for Man City). 

There are some rumours going round that he’s just been arrested for something very serious, although not confirmed. 

It was only two years ago that we witnessed our young team get to a World Cup semi final. We’ve also reached the nations league finals and qualified for the euros with an almost impeccable record. Let’s not think Scotland players care more cos Mitrovic missed a penalty and they shed a few tears.

I really don’t understand this mentality that when someone does something good we have to immediately compare it with English pro footballers.
    I did see earlier that a premiership player had been arrested for serious offences. 

Even if they are 'only 17', they are professional sportsmen and paid accordingly with plenty of support. Many 17 year old are able to be responsible and would bite their hand off for the opportunity. And the rewards.

The team did brilliantly at the last World Cup but it doesn't mean the comment doesn't apply to more than one player

I don't always immediate compare it with English footballers. but I did on this occasion as thought it was relevant, notably after recent cases. Who said Scotland players care more? It's not a competition, to care more that is.

Bows probably cares more than other League One managers - that doesn't win us anything on it's own, but it sure as hell helps. And I am sure coaches use players who care as inspiration rather than those who don't (as much). LB an inspiration as he is and Taylor less so
  • Sponsored links:

• England are the Country that Scotland, Ireland and Wales love to beat at Football and Rugby. History and the fact that these country's are small in population in comparison to England, all add to the local rivalry. 

Scotland will be similar to Iceland in the Euros 2016 and will be no problem for England ? Hold on a mo, let me check the score...

• The main commentator is so annoying fck me
    He was very Alan Partridge. 

Most Scots hate England more than they love Scotland but each to their own.
  • The main commentator is so annoying fck me
    He was very Alan Partridge. 

Most Scots hate England more than they love Scotland but each to their own.
    Not the ones I  know and I know many - a lot, but not all, do have negative feelings towards England but not as much as they love Scotland. 

Last night was not about that
  • As a Scot who has live in England for 34 years, married an Englishwoman, whose sons are fully paid up Englishmen and who generally speaking quite likes it here, can I just say that a significant element in some of my countrymen’s exaggerated but nevertheless residual antipathy towards the English is due in no small way to your football commentators. The up their own arses school of smarmy thesaurus swallowing entitled wankers like Tyldesley and his ilk do the English no favours. 
    Now on this we are in full agreement. 
    You ain't such a sillybilly After all 
  • As a Scot who has live in England for 34 years, married an Englishwoman, whose sons are fully paid up Englishmen and who generally speaking quite likes it here, can I just say that a significant element in some of my countrymen’s exaggerated but nevertheless residual antipathy towards the English is due in no small way to your football commentators. The up their own arses school of smarmy thesaurus swallowing entitled wankers like Tyldesley and his ilk do the English no favours. 
    True, but the commentators last night were so biased it was quite funny.
  • Redrobo said:
    As a Scot who has live in England for 34 years, married an Englishwoman, whose sons are fully paid up Englishmen and who generally speaking quite likes it here, can I just say that a significant element in some of my countrymen’s exaggerated but nevertheless residual antipathy towards the English is due in no small way to your football commentators. The up their own arses school of smarmy thesaurus swallowing entitled wankers like Tyldesley and his ilk do the English no favours. 
    True, but the commentators last night were so biased it was quite funny.
    Yup. The Alan partridge comparison above was pretty accurate. 
    Couldn’t agree more. 

Actual England fans are some of the most critical in the world. It’s the media and commentators that do us no favours.
  • A few years ago I had a conversation with a Scots workmate about the decline in Scottish football. His answer was simple, he called it 'Trainspotting Syndrome', factories, shipyards, mines and mills closed for ever, the financial independence and self esteem of the working classes taking a bashing and the unemployed young slipping away from the pub and drinking alcohol into  reliance on heroin and other hard drugs. Two generations lost during the late 70s to the early 2000s. At the least, having their own parliament and a say in running their own affairs, might have given a sense of pride back to the Scots.
    An interesting theory. And, I would argue, also relevant to England. A loss of mass employment opportunities and the consequent self reliance since the 1960s/70s/80s leading to a degree in some parts of England to lethargy and hidden despondency.
    Perhaps this is why (e.g.) we, the English, are now so dependant on foreign footballers as well of course, as on foreigners owning and managing so many large vital English companies and why so many of this emerging generation of superb young English footballers as well as entrepreneurs and politicians are the offspring of 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants.