Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good Luck in Serbia Scotland (12/11/2020)

Comments

• Scotland have taken 10 penalties in competitive shootouts and scored all 10, might be able to teach their English cousins something!
  • Delighted and deserved. 

Pennos were excellent, some superb performances tonight in Gallagher, Dykes, Mcgregor, Christie and Clarke as manager in general has done a superb job.

Great character in the squad, you can see how much it meant to the players at the end. 
  • Slight reprieve for Lookman at least with it being Mitrovic who missed 
  • se9addick said:
    Scotland have taken 10 penalties in competitive shootouts and scored all 10, might be able to teach their English cousins something!
    Yep I remember Gary Mac’s in `euro 96 what a hero , what a penalty 
  • Glad they got through, makes 3 games (and no more after that, obviously) more interesting at the Euros - Scotland v Czech Republic is better than Serbia v Czech Republic etc.

And England v Scotland should be good.
  • A blow for Serbia that Luka Milivojević was missing after testing positive, that's one penalty in the shootout guaranteed...
  • You'd still think Mitrovic would have taken one though. 
  • Some Scottish players in tears at the end! You’d have thought they won the bloody thing, not scrapped qualification
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing wrong with a bit of banter and rivalry, but honestly don’t get how any Brit could watch those pens and not be happy when Mitrovic missed
    For me personally i'm not too fussed they won, it'll actually be good to play them in a tournament and there will be far more hype around the game than if it was Serbia.

But do you seriously think if the roles were reversed Scotland fans would be cheering for us in a shootout v Serbia? Not a chance.
    Should be a great day for the country. Here’s hoping everything will be back to normal, as you can imagine every venue up and down the country will be packed for this match. Build up for that match is going to last for 6 months or so. 
  • Was well pleased for Scotland when I read the news this morning. Will be great to have another British team at the tournament.  

I do remember the pictures of them wearing Argentina shirts in their pubs when we lost to them in the world cup. But just because someone hates you, doesn't mean you have to hate them back. 
  • Chunes said:
    Was well pleased for Scotland when I read the news this morning. Will be great to have another British team at the tournament.  

I do remember the pictures of them wearing Argentina shirts in their pubs when we lost to them in the world cup. But just because someone hates you, doesn't mean you have to hate them back. 
    Exactly, rise above it, we are not six years old (well, most of us aren't) - plus they dont all hate us. I know quite a few who are behind us unless we play them. Well chuffed for them last night. 
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of banter and rivalry, but honestly don’t get how any Brit could watch those pens and not be happy when Mitrovic missed
    For me personally i'm not too fussed they won, it'll actually be good to play them in a tournament and there will be far more hype around the game than if it was Serbia.

But do you seriously think if the roles were reversed Scotland fans would be cheering for us in a shootout v Serbia? Not a chance.
    No, but I don’t take that too seriously tbh. As said, I see it as a big brother / little brother thing. We’re all British in my eyes. 
  • I don’t think it’s good news for us at all. Major tournament, England v Scotland, they haven’t been at one for ages.

You just know what’s gonna happen.
  • So pleased they qualified. 

Now I hope they get spanked in all 3 games they play.
  • I don’t think it’s good news for us at all. Major tournament, England v Scotland, they haven’t been at one for ages.

You just know what’s gonna happen.
    You (and all the others that have said similar) are kidding with this stuff aren’t you?!

Scotland are masters of the glorious failure, turned it into an absolute art form. What has happened the last few times that Scotland have played England, particularly the last match at Hampden?

I’m over the moon that Scotland have qualified, but England are packed with quality players and will be playing at home - hopefully in-front of 90,000 people. It will be very, very difficult for Scotland. Czech Rep. and Croatia will also be tough, but I think (at least) one of those matches will be in Glasgow.

• Can’t believe Scotland qualified for a major tournament. Trump, BRExIt, COVId, Leicester. Fair enough but ffs!  Scotland in a finals.  You’re having a laugh. 

I’ve developed an active disinterest in it over the last ten years. Glorious failure has a very wearing quality about it. I don’t mind being shyte and getting humped but last night was heading for the most Scottish of glorious failures ever and would have been very hard to take (for us Scots I mean). 

Scotland played very well. We’ve found a core of six or seven class players, Robertson, christie, McGregor, etc who could hold/are holding down places in top sides. However they are topped up with three or four league 1 standard players.  Once past our first 11 we are in big trouble as was shown as soon as McBurnie came on last night. He is truly useless. But hope for an injury free season and the first 11 will give it a good go next summer. England are a class above though regardless of Southgate’s outlook so I wouldn’t expect too much. Just nice not to be perennial failures for a change. 

• Scotland played really well for 90 minutes but tired in extra time. Penalties were excellent.

I thought they had no chance last night but they were very disciplined and largely kept Serbia at bay. The team might be limited but they have improved massively.
  • Sponsored links:

• BBC breakfast showed the celebrations in Glasgow afterwards.  About level with the Wednesday bus parade for finishing second in League one in terms of embarrassment. 
  • This crop of England players will absolutely tear Scotland apart.

No, but I don’t take that too seriously tbh. As said, I see it as a big brother / little brother thing. We’re all British in my eyes. 
    To me, that's like wanting Palace or Millwall to do well "We're all South Londoners".

Ok, technically they're either Surrey or East London, but...
  • Parker really needs to organise extra penalty tuition for his players .. 
  • Chunes said:
    Was well pleased for Scotland when I read the news this morning. Will be great to have another British team at the tournament.  

Exactly, rise above it, we are not six years old (well, most of us aren't) - plus they dont all hate us. I know quite a few who are behind us unless we play them. Well chuffed for them last night. 
    You say that but when I was 8 -16 years old I cheered them on 1978-86 in the major tourneys 

Not now , it’s football rivalry , there’s no maturity in that .

Of course I love the sweatys outside international football , top people but where football rivalry’s concerned I want them to suffer 
  • edited November 2020
    As tournament do not come around very often I always hope England have good matches. Wales in 2016 was brilliant. Always hoping to play Brazil/Germany in the world cup, do not believe in that I hope we get an easy group etc.  Watching England play against Argentina is on my bucket list of matches to see live.

Will have a ticket for this at Wembley (if allowed fans), I cannot wait for it. Bring on the jocks.
  • Some Scottish players in tears at the end! You’d have thought they won the bloody thing, not scrapped qualification
    Shame some of the (young) England players aren't so passionate about playing for their country - more interested in and partying and getting their leg over
  • Congrats to any scottish addicks on here, always like to see as many home nations in major tourneys, makes it more fun all round!