Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dylan Levitt - Sold by Man U to Dundee United (p14)

Comments

• Levitt could be a very good player in a couple of years time, he made about 2 good passes yesterday in my book and is no better at the moment than what we already have, he should have been sent on loan to Salford.
  • We're out of the cup now, so it's going to be hard for Levitt to improve because he won't be playing.

One of the sometimes over-looked "benefits" of having a small squad was that younger players got regular games; like Pope, Aribo, Konsa, Lookman, Grant, Doughty etc. In a squad full of experienced Watson/Gunter/Shinnie types, where do these younger players get their experience? And I'm talking about proper playing experience...not just 2 or 3 cup games a season and being able to train with top players. 

Maybe Levitt would be better being sent back in Jan and then farmed out to a club with a smaller squad, where he can play a proper run of games. Unless we get a stack of injuries (possible) or he produces a dynamite performance in one of his rare chances, he's not going to get much action. 
  • edited November 2020
    Surely if the deep midfielder Levitt loses his man it’s WORSE than if an attacking midfielder does it?

Bowyer didn’t name names, but made it clear that the players who came in for this match didn’t impress him, Levitt being one of them.

Not sure why I'm having to explain myself again here.

Morgan was called out by Bowyer, not because he was outplayed or made any mistakes, it's because he couldn't be bothered to track back and do his defensive duties. Whys he going to call out Levitt who let's face it, didn't have any worse a game then anyone else, because he made some defensive mistakes. 

That's just poor poor man management. 

Honestly the mental gymnastics on this forum to try and justify your view points that you don't think Levitt is very good is plain embarrassing. 

• A long season ahead, injuries (we are prone) and suspensions will give him his chances and I suspect at his age, he will have some good games and some less good games, but he is a welcome squad player with an eye for a pass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely if the deep midfielder Levitt loses his man it’s WORSE than if an attacking midfielder does it?

Bowyer didn’t name names, but made it clear that the players who came in for this match didn’t impress him, Levitt being one of them.

Not sure why I'm having to explain myself again here.

Morgan was called out by Bowyer, not because he was outplayed or made any mistakes, it's because he couldn't be bothered to track back and do his defensive duties. Whys he going to call out Levitt who let's face it, didn't have any worse a game then anyone else, because he made some defensive mistakes. 

That's just poor poor man management. 

Honestly the mental gymnastics on this forum to try and justify your view points that you don't think Levitt is very good is plain embarrassing. 

That's not true though.  Morgan WAS trying to track back, but a couple of times lost his man due to inexperience, concentration lapses or whatever. He's not an Ozil
  • I think it is agreed that Levitt can pass well, Giggs said when we signed him that he was one of the best passers he has seen. He did not say he could defend or tackle and I am sure LB and SG knew this when they signed him. "Young inexperienced lad, has many attributes but still has a lot to learn", you could say this about 90% of young players coming into the top clubs and hope they improve.
  • I know we will need a squad this season but he’s nowhere near playing regularly , especially with Gilbey returning imminently 
  • edited November 2020
    wmcf123 said:
    I know we will need a squad this season but he’s nowhere near playing regularly , especially with Gilbey returning imminently 
    He doesn't play in Levitt's position either
  • Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know we will need a squad this season but he’s nowhere near playing regularly , especially with Gilbey returning imminently 
    What position are you suggesting he does play in then ? 
  • It's pretty clear to me that when everyone is fit, Levitt will be lucky to even get a spot on our bench.

JFC, Watson, Pratley, Gilbey, Williams, Shinnie, Morgan and Vennings can all play in centre midfield and are all equal to or in most cases better than Levitt.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him return to Man Utd in January.
  • I don't think he's good enough to get in the 1st team.  As a loan signing, we'd be better off sending him back & using the wages on somebody who will improve the team
    I don't think the wages are likely to be an issue, more of a loan spot in the squad. Not end of world to have six though, just means one has to miss out each game. But with a squad of 23/24 that can be managed. 
  • Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Course he does, they are CM's. Might not be exactly the same sort of player but I don't understand how football suddenly has 15+ positions.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think he's good enough to get in the 1st team.  As a loan signing, we'd be better off sending him back & using the wages on somebody who will improve the team
    I don't think the wages are likely to be an issue, more of a loan spot in the squad. Not end of world to have six though, just means one has to miss out each game. But with a squad of 23/24 that can be managed. 
    Not an issue for us perhaps, but I can't imagine Man U being happy if Levitt ends up as a 6th loan player who barely plays 
  • Safe to say I think Levitt will get recalled (sent back) to United in January. From this very moment I would be surprised if he was still a Charlton player in the new year 
    Not an issue for us perhaps, but I can't imagine Man U being happy if Levitt ends up as a 6th loan player who barely plays 
    Doesn't necessarily have to be him that missed out though. Agree with your point though, which is probably why I'd send him back to Utd. That way we don't piss them off, give them the chance to send him elsewhere. 
  • edited November 2020
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Course he does, they are CM's. Might not be exactly the same sort of player but I don't understand how football suddenly has 15+ positions.  

Levitt plays in front of the back four... Same position Watson and Pratley. (Although Pratley also sometimes plays as a ball-winning CM). 

He's not competing with Gilbey, JFC, Morgan, Vennings, Shinnie, etc. for their starting spots. They play in central midfield. He plays behind them. We play a diamond remember? 

He can play behind the strikers but that seems like a rare role for him and LB hasn't shown any interest in that side of his game. 
  • edited November 2020
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:

Levitt plays in front of the back four... Same position Watson and Pratley. (Although Pratley also sometimes plays as a ball-winning CM). 

He's not competing with Gilbey, JFC, Morgan, Vennings, Shinnie, etc. for their starting spots. They play in central midfield. He plays behind them. We play a diamond remember? 

He can play behind the strikers but that seems like a rare role for him and LB hasn't shown any interest in that side of his game. 
    Well Levitt started yesterday, and we didn't play a diamond. In fact, we haven't much this season at all. 

Levitt is not a DM because he can't tackle, and I think that's one of his biggest problems. For me, his best position is probably as a deep lying playmaker in a 4231 as one of the two. But he's going to have to adapt and vary his game because the defensive side of his game isn't good enough, not for someone whose best position is supposedly in front of the back four. 

I struggle to understand how you say he's not competing with Gilbey, Shinnie etc but then say he can play behind the strikers. Surely any midfielder who can play DM and CAM can play CM? Like I said, I agree Levitt is a different type of player but I don't agree he isn't competing with those aswell as Pratley and Morgan for a place in the squad. Yes he would play a different role but it's like saying Pratley/Watson are in direct competition but will never play together, because that's been proven wrong. 
    We've played the diamond nearly every league game. 

Even yesterday we had Levitt behind JFC and Morgan. That's how LB shapes his midfield. 

I don't think you read my last paragraph but I will repeat it again, that advanced role is a rare one for him, and LB hasn't shown any interest in playing him there. So, no, he is not competing with Shinnie. 

And when LB has only ever played him in that Watson slot, and when he only ever really played that same position for Utd, then why is he suddenly competing for another position? 
  • edited November 2020
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:

Well Levitt started yesterday, and we didn't play a diamond. In fact, we haven't much this season at all. 

Levitt is not a DM because he can't tackle, and I think that's one of his biggest problems. For me, his best position is probably as a deep lying playmaker in a 4231 as one of the two. But he's going to have to adapt and vary his game because the defensive side of his game isn't good enough, not for someone whose best position is supposedly in front of the back four. 

I struggle to understand how you say he's not competing with Gilbey, Shinnie etc but then say he can play behind the strikers. Surely any midfielder who can play DM and CAM can play CM? Like I said, I agree Levitt is a different type of player but I don't agree he isn't competing with those aswell as Pratley and Morgan for a place in the squad. Yes he would play a different role but it's like saying Pratley/Watson are in direct competition but will never play together, because that's been proven wrong. 
    We've played the diamond nearly every league game. 

Even yesterday we had Levitt behind JFC and Morgan. That's how LB shapes his midfield. 

I don't think you read my last paragraph but I will repeat it again, that advanced role is a rare one for him, and LB hasn't shown any interest in playing him there. So, no, he is not competing with Shinnie. 

And when LB has only ever played him in that Watson slot, and when he only ever really played that same position for Utd, then why is he suddenly competing for another position? 
    Of course I did. And I will repeat my question, how comes he can play DM and CAM (even if Bowyer "hasn't shown any interest in playing him there") but not CM? Also, how do you know he can play AM, you yourself said both us and Utd have only ever played him further back? I can't imagine a player like him playing just off the striker(s). 

I can see your point, but I disagree with it. I appreciate he has so far played in front of the back 4, but Levitt is a central midfield player. Whether he is slightly defensive, a deep lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder, he is a central midfielder. I am not saying he is the same type player as Shinnie, but I see all of our CMs fighting for places. I simply don't see it as he is only fighting Pratley or Watson for a place in the team. 

Don't think you've watched many games if you think we've played the diamond nearly every league game. 
  • Sage said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:

Ageee with this.

We also have never played with a deep lying playmaker, never under Bowyer. As a deep lying playmaker, you need to have excellent positioning and be able to dictate the tempo of the game, he hasn’t shown to have either of those attributes.

If we focus on a formation Bowyer has played, such as a diamond, where does he fit because he most certainly isn’t going to play instead of Pratley, Watson, Shinnie, Gilbey, and Forster-Caskey in any of the three central roles. Be it in front of the defence (Pratley or Watson) or either side of the two in midfield (Shinnie and Gilbey for example). We then have far superior offensive players to play behind the front two.

In a 4-3-3, where does he play when everyone is fit? Not going to sit in front of the defence as said already. Not a box to box type midfielder like Gilbey is more that role, and not creative and offensive like Shinnie or Williams.

Morgan has a great range of passing, which seems to be what the general feeling that is Levitt’s biggest quality, but Morgan has shown he can play out wide if needed. You’ve arguably got Levitt behind him and therefore, 7th in the ‘pecking order’.

The recruitment from Gallen and Bowyer has been excellent, incredible all things considered to bring in the quality they have. But they won’t get every loan signing right.

So far, Levitt is by far the weakest loan signing out of the 5, and rather than having 6 loanees with Levitt not in the squad each week, he’d be better off going to another club who play 4-2-3-1 and he can learn his trade that way.

Sometimes players just aren’t suited to a way of playing or a club or whatever it might be, and he’s not shown anything at all to say he should be ahead of any of the midfielders who are currently ahead of him. 
    I agree. This one is weird because Bows clearly thinks he's best in front of the back 4. I guess he could play if we were dominating a game. Strange signing for me though because he doesn't seem like a Bowyer player. Maybe a bit of panic because of embargo. 

Like you say though, can't get it all right and it's been outstanding yet again. Levitt doesn't seem suited to us at all. 
  • loads of Man Utd youngsters end up playing lower league football or being released - please don’t see his club as a sign of him being a star for us