Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Language blind spots

Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”
and Roy thinks “Damp Squib” is “Damp squid”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?

Comments

• “Across the piste”
  • Escape goat.
    Of course! Great one!
  • On tender hooks.
  • edited November 2020
    Where I work people are always getting "advice" and "advise" the wrong way around.

Considering we are in the business of giving advice it's particularly embarrassing!

Edit: And affect/effect. Lost count of the number of times it's happened. 
  • edited November 2020
    On the Champions League song, people seem to think that right at the end the last words they sing are 'The Champions' when all of us ITK will tell you that it's really 'Lasagna'

Just as they sing 'Fried Chicken' at the end instead of 'One Vision'
  • Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
    This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?
    Thats it mate, just copy Dave Gorman why don't you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.

Eh?
  • You've got another think coming.

For all intensive purposes.

Expresso coffee.

I changed my life by 360 degrees.

Momento.

This thread could run and run for the site's pedants.......
  • "I could care less"

So you do care at least a little bit then?

"Can you be more Pacific"

I'm not sure what the biggest Ocean on the planet has to do with my details

"I can't be asked"

I can't be arsed to answer this one
  • Every time this thread comes up (and it's happened multiple times over the years), I think of 'Popcorn kettle black' 
  • Baa baa black sheep
    Have you any more
  • You should all be like me.

Cool calm and selective 
  • People who say titbits instead of tidbits 
  • Escape goat.
    ...and Scrape Goat.
  • edited November 2020
    I should of known this was coming.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Brought  instead of bought.........and vice versa.
  • I should of known this was coming.
    Yup......it should be, I should HAVE known.
  • thinK or anythinK or even anyfinK when the word ends in a g. Borrow instead of lend
  • English is a living, unregulated and evolving language, innit.
  • LouisMend said:
    West-mini-ster instead of Westminster - amazing the amount of people who said that when I worked in an office in Westminster 

Wemberlee 
  • Think I said this on the other thread, but I used to work with a girl who thought Alzheimer's was called Old Timers Disease.
  • Just heard (again) on a Place in the Sun communual  pool
  • Mrs says -

"On the top of my head" rather than "Off the top of my head"

Eg - "I cant think of anything now, on the top of my head"

🙄

Eh?
    Dave Gorman done an episode on this very subject - even using the "doggy dog world" phrase (which I have never heard of before or since).