Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dylan Levitt - Sold by Man U to Dundee United (p14)

Comments

• Options
    Lightweight Forster-Caskey...
  • Options
    He and Vennings were playing similar roles for us.

Personally preferred Vennings, but Levitt did show flashes of class. No more than Vennings or Morgan though 
  • Options
    I agree what Levitt is nowhere near the first team midfield, and that Vennings has looked very composed on the ball when he has played. 

However Vennings is more of a natural number 10, who came on for the last 25 minutes when the game was opening up, where as Levitt is a deep lying playmaker who started the game against matched up against what looks to be a very good player in Camara. Think it's an unfair comparison to make. 

• Options
    I’d 100% consider sending him back. He’s a decent player but if we can get a striker in on loan then I would. Although I guess having 6 players on loan wouldn’t be end of the world.
  • Options
    I’d 100% consider sending him back. He’s a decent player but if we can get a striker in on loan then I would. Although I guess having 6 players on loan wouldn’t be end of the world.
    Think we have to consider the “optics”, sending a youngster back after a handful of matches isn’t a good look and could impact our ability to get players on loan from United (and possibly elsewhere) in the future. If there’s another player available for loan then I don’t see why already having 5 would be a major blocker (doesn’t seem to have stopped us before!).
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Think we have to consider the “optics”, sending a youngster back after a handful of matches isn’t a good look and could impact our ability to get players on loan from United (and possibly elsewhere) in the future. If there’s another player available for loan then I don’t see why already having 5 would be a major blocker (doesn’t seem to have stopped us before!).
    Man U might prefer us to send him back in January, rather than keep him as the 6th loanee though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I don't think it will affect us getting loan players. Maatsen and Famewo are two young players who will play regularly, and we did the same last year. I agree we could have 6, I'm not agains that to be honest.
  • Options
    I really don’t understand why this lad in particular is constantly under the microscope. He’s another body in the building to help us get promoted, if Bowyer doesn’t rate him then he won’t play him. 

We’ve got plenty of midfielders this season and he’s just here to help out and learn his trade. I’d rather have him and not need him than need him and not have him etc. 
  • Options
    Struggle to see where he fits in but not going to write him off yet. He's not a bad player just not what we need in the team at the moment. He's only 20 so it's not as if he's taken up anything on the wage cap. Injuries and suspensions may mean he gets a chance, hopefully we'd find the right role for him. From the little I've seen so far that won't be as a holding midfielder.

If he's the only signing that hasn't worked out then it's been a brilliant transfer window. If that's the case then we'll most likely send him back in January. He can then join another club where he'll start every week and we'll probably bring another loan signing in.
  • Options
    He's a full International.

Under normal circumstances I'd be ringing Giggs to get his insight into how to get more out of Levitt.

Levitt is on Man Utd's books for a reason.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Under normal circumstances I'd be ringing Giggs to get his insight into how to get more out of Levitt.

Based on the what I've seen of him for Wales (which is admittedly not a lot), I'm not sure Giggs gets that much more out of Levitt than we've seen already. 

Although we signed him when were under the one out one in embargo instead of a player in an area we were lacking, so there must be more to come. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I think he's unlucky, he's in a league 1 squad with a championship quality midfield. He would probably walk into most teams in our league 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Perhaps he's not good enough, perhaps he just needs a run of games. The same questions have been asked about Pratley, Watson, Forster-Caskey and Williams so Levitt's in pretty good company.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Based on the what I've seen of him for Wales (which is admittedly not a lot), I'm not sure Giggs gets that much more out of Levitt than we've seen already. 

Although we signed him when were under the one out one in embargo instead of a player in an area we were lacking, so there must be more to come. 
    So, Levitt is OK for Wales, but not OK for League 1 Charlton?

Are you OK with that?

Giggs will have seen a lot more than you and I have.  He will have a role in mind, and expectations.

Bowyer is not getting the best from Levitt.  He might want to have a chat about it with Gunter too.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dave Rudd said:
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Are you OK with that?

Giggs will have seen a lot more than you and I have.  He will have a role in mind, and expectations.

Bowyer is not getting the best from Levitt.  He might want to have a chat about it with Gunter too.
    Do you think Levitt would be in the Welsh set up, considering Giggs is their manager, if his parent club was any other Premier League side?

Genuine question by the way. I just don’t think he would be anywhere near as close. Maybe I am being harsh, just how I see it right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Are you OK with that?

Do you think Levitt would be in the Welsh set up, considering Giggs is their manager, if his parent club was any other Premier League side?

Genuine question by the way. I just don’t think he would be anywhere near as close. Maybe I am being harsh, just how I see it right now.
    Really?

As an International manager, you don't pick a player because he comes from a Club that you have affinity with.  You don't last long in the job if you do.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Sage said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Are you OK with that?

Really?

As an International manager, you don't pick a player because he comes from a Club that you have affinity with.  You don't last long in the job if you do.
    Just my opinion mate. It’s a genuine question and thinking, would he be in the squad if he was on say, Burnley’s books as an example?

Nicky Butt and Giggs are close, I think the affinity and relationship he has with the club and those at the club can influence his judgement to a certain level. 

He might not be lasting very long in the job anyway for other matters.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Are you OK with that?

Being more than a bit nitpicky, but he's played more minutes for Bowyer at Charlton than he has for Giggs at Wales. Neither are likely to be great judges of his ability yet.

Think he should be fine at League One level for Charlton but the situation is a lot different to when we signed him, and it's a lot harder for him to break into the side. United are probably more likely to recall him before we send him back
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    MattF said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Are you OK with that?

I'd trust Bowyer over Giggs any day when it comes to judging a player. Giggs is far more of a rookie manager 
  • Options
    Vennings and Morgan look head and shoulders above him. Of course he’s young and has a the potential otherwise he wouldn’t be at Man U. But for this season when we’re trying to push for promotion he’s nowhere near good enough to hold a loan spot. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Vennings and Morgan don't play in the same position. How many times... ?

Don't think people realise how well regarded Levitt is at United. He is always going to struggle with our fans because he's a clever passer and not a 'Charlton style', dynamic, smashing-around-the-pitch player that usually gets people onside.  

Have we ever had a deep lying playmaker? I don't think people know what it looks like. 

Eventually the table is going to split into front runners and relegation teams. Then we're going to be facing brick walls where opponents have 11 men behind the ball. You don't need a Pratley or a Watson in games like those, you need a Levitt who can cut through the lines with a pass. 

LB said when he joined people would have to be patient with him. He's 18 and it's his first loan. But it's funny he's being singled out for grief when after a poor first 25 he was good for the rest of the game and spread the ball around well and broke their lines with some sharp passes.

But honestly it's gonna be hopeless for him here. It would probably be good for him and Utd if he goes somewhere else in January. He should've gone to a club with less of an industrious football culture. 

Totally agree with this.

The boy can pass the ball, but he is guilty of not doing the other side of the game, which Morgan is singled out by Bowyer.. And this why he has been set to us on loan to learn, bit like we did with Morgan last year.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    Vennings and Morgan don't play in the same position. How many times... ?

Don't think people realise how well regarded Levitt is at United. He is always going to struggle with our fans because he's a clever passer and not a 'Charlton style', dynamic, smashing-around-the-pitch player that usually gets people onside.  

Have we ever had a deep lying playmaker? I don't think people know what it looks like. 

Eventually the table is going to split into front runners and relegation teams. Then we're going to be facing brick walls where opponents have 11 men behind the ball. You don't need a Pratley or a Watson in games like those, you need a Levitt who can cut through the lines with a pass. 

LB said when he joined people would have to be patient with him. He's 18 and it's his first loan. But it's funny he's being singled out for grief when after a poor first 25 he was good for the rest of the game and spread the ball around well and broke their lines with some sharp passes.

But honestly it's gonna be hopeless for him here. It would probably be good for him and Utd if he goes somewhere else in January. He should've gone to a club with less of an industrious football culture. 

Totally agree with this.

The boy can pass the ball, but he is guilty of not doing the other side of the game, which Morgan is singled out by Bowyer.. And this why he has been set to us on loan to learn, bit like we did with Morgan last year.
    This observation is wrong. Firstly, once again, they do not play the same position. 

Morgan was singled out by Bowyer for not tracking back and doing the defensive side of his game. We know Bowyer expects his attacking midfielders to work hard for the team. He even said the same of Maddison yesterday. 

Do you expect him to start singling out players for getting out played by the opposition or making mistakes? Because if he did his press conferences would be awfully long. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Pratley won't be in midfield much this season, hopefully. And what about Oshilaja?