Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone use mobile broadband

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Virgn have just upped my bill telling me what they gave me was for 12 months only i was of the understanding that i was getting this offer for good , never mentioned that bit did they.

tried arguing but nothing, but im sure when i get all the info i need and go to disconnect they will offer me something

Anyone use the mobile broadband any good?

Comments

• If you are talking about 3G based broadband rather than Wi-Fi then you need to be careful in how you use it.

Mobile broadband is not really meant to be a direct replacement for fixed-line broadband if you are anything more than a medium-level user in terms of what you download.

If you just browse the web for an hour or so per day its fine but once you start downloading/uploading pics, music and video it gets very slow and can be VERY expensive.

Its handy to have if you need to use the web for work - but a smart-phone is probably better for convenience - but not as a DSL/cable modem replacement.

In about two years once 4G comes out properly then we can all lose the fixed-line connections completely.
  • On this, does anyone use a Belkin (or similar) dongle for wi-fi access at home or on hotels on their laptop?
  • i don't to be honest- i get mobile internet free ( or more correctly, included) with my mobile phone "contract" and i use my Nokia N95 as a modem for my laptop when i'm out

Bit slow but if i get a 3g signal it's reliable and completely free.
  • Cheers

Im stying with Virgin they sorted me out now
  • Use T-Mobile. Get 3gb download limit for £8.00 a month. If you go over as I frequently do, you get a letter saying don't do that please, no charges or service suspension.

You have to be careful with the signal strength SE18 is good, SE9 is crap.

Slows down a bit between 7pm & 9pm but nothing to bad.

Use it for VPN connection to work as well.
  • I use a Vodafone dongle for £15 a month, only problem is if you are in a dodgy signal area it just disconnects you which is very frustrating. If you are in London you would probably get a better signal mind.
  • 3gb i get

but dongles, VPN ,belkins

WTF sometimes this place is far to intellegent for moi
  • NLA - Unsure if you knew all this but:-

dongle - is a piece of kit that is plugged into a port on the pc/laptop which acts like a key to authenticate the use of software, without the dongle(key) you are usually restricted from using that software.
    Years ago there were software packages that gave you a dongle for each licence that you were buying, therefore if you wanted a 5 user licence you got 5 dongles/keys.

belkin - is just a manufacturers name

vpn - stands for Virtual Private Network
  • edited February 2009
    Anybody with a Blackberry who is clobbered by data download charges have a look at the tariff of the company I represent.

Blackberry

If you click on the tab, Valuecall Tariff, you will see that mobile broadband is included and not at an extra cost.
  • [cite]Posted By: jaire[/cite]NLA - Unsure if you knew all this but:-

dongle - is a piece of kit that is plugged into a port on the pc/laptop which acts like a key to authenticate the use of software, without the dongle(key) you are usually restricted from using that software.
    Years ago there were software packages that gave you a dongle for each licence that you were buying, therefore if you wanted a 5 user licence you got 5 dongles/keys.

belkin - is just a manufacturers name

vpn - stands for Virtual Private Network

I knew that regards Belkin , but its the only manufacturer I could find that does the USB dongle that gives you free wi fi access (for wi fi you have access too obviously, ie your own home broadband etc) dont want to pay £15-£20 a month for mobile broadband.