Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OSCARS - Why no interest?

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Very surprised no comments about the OSCARS, are there no film fans out there? I do not expect talk about dresses - far too girly but is Slumdog worthy of 8 Academy Awards, should Sean Penn have won?.... discuss

Comments

• And as for Kate Winslett's acceptance speech - almost better when she didn't bother!
  • APTOPIX_Oscars_Photo_Room.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

when god created women, kate was the template.. check out the reader guys its a great film.
  • Talking of Slumdog - does Richard Murray still have any involvement with Celador, the makers of the film?
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Talking of Slumdog - does Richard Murray still have any involvement with Celador, the makers of the film?

I asked that on another thread a while ago. It was Avesco he was involved with, wasn't it? Afraid some people 'in the know' on here said no such luck, or words to that effect.
  • He is Chair of Avesco, but he was definitely involved with Celador previously when they were making WWTBAM.
  • I work in the "industry" - a lot of hype and actually some damn good movies - but Slumdog - is it really a feel good movie? For the first 90 minutes he spends his time being tortured!!!??!!

Oscars - overhyped, overpaid, but the ultimate reward and respect from industry peers.... always going to have the odd choice - but Sean Penn is great in Milk ...
  • There are many things i don't like. I won't bore you with them all.
    But bunches of overpaid luvvies, out all night on a freebie. Just so they can all pat each other on the back, and say how wonderful they all are. Culminating in nauseating, sycophantic acceptance speeches and artificial emotion, are right at the top of my hate list.
  • edited February 2009
    Slumdog's a great film and a brilliant spectacle, but in no way a feel-good movie. Milk's very thought-provoking and, yeah, Penn's excellent in it.

Mind you, giving Mr Penn the Oscar saved the Academy from Mickey Rourke giving an acceptance speech like this at their prim and proper awards - well worth six minutes of your time! (The Wrestler's fantastic, by the way.)

Also got a work connection with the industry, but this year's probably been my final in it - if you ever get the chance, sitting through an entire Oscars ceremony will convince you forever that Hollywood is batshit mad, but somehow the better for it.

Oh yeah, and Winslet was better when she wearing her DMs...
  • Have a copy of Slumdog and will watch tonight. Wrestler was excellent, agreed Inspector.
  • we should've had a charlton life oscars.

the nominees for the worst would ya....

the ridiculously rose tinted comment award goes to...

the suicidal 'were doomed' post nominees are....

google images lifetime contribution goes to....adamtheaddick

etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• I like films but I'm not a big fan of award ceremonies in general I don't believe the awards are a fair reflection on films of the last year either
  • I think Slumdog was awesome, but defo not "feel good film".

I think best supporting actress should have gone to Viola Davis for Mrs Miller in Doubt.

She was only in the film for maximum 15 mins and only in 1 scene, but it was amazing. I've never felt so overwhelmed, and in awe of acting in a scene as I was by that. Awesome. Defo go see it if you haven't already.
  • edited February 2009
    I think there's been a bit of a global shift, although the Oscars are the big money deal, the rise in prominence of the BAFTAS due I think the the writers strike killing off the golden globes last year, seems to have made the Oscars a little bit less the big deal they were, with the British version tending perhaps to be a little less jaundiced? Just my view of course.

I hate it when one film whichever it is sweeps loads of awards though.

PS agree with sentiment on Winslet don't like her speeches and much prefer her more more down to earth roles such as in Jude and in ESotSM, against her more glammed up/'American' roles
  • TT
    edited February 2009
    I guess it depends on your definition of 'Feel good Film'. For me Shawshank Redemption was a feel good film as was Little Miss Sunshine. My wife would probably totally disagree with me and point to something like Mama Mia being a feel good film which is more of a 'feel angry and smash things film' for me... For me Slumdog was a Feel Good Film, the hero walks off into the sunset in a much better position than he left it in, and the film gives a very positive message about acheiving your dreams. I felt good after i left the cinema, the actual content of the film was quite dark however.

I think the issue is the marketing around the film and using the quote in question the poster more resembled a rom com which is confusing given the content of the film.

The poster hardly sugguests Gangsters, crime and the seedy underbelly of Mumbai does it?
  • edited February 2009
    wow, where do i begin.. id like to thank god, witthout him none of us would be here..Larry Page and Sergey Brin the founders of google... my mum and dad, my agent.. jo and ben... he he

000874ac39a4075603f501.JPG
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]APTOPIX_Oscars_Photo_Room.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

when god created women, kate was the template.. check out the reader guys its a great film.

I also confess to being a fan of her (not her films mostly) but did you know she has size 11 feet Adam. Them's some plates...
  • [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]I also confess to being a fan of her (not her films mostly) but did you know she has size 11 feet Adam. Them's some plates...

Im a 12, so we can share shoes... he he
  • does that mean she has big hands too??

:)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]does that mean she has big hands too??

kate-winslet-golden-globes-2009.jpg

yep nice down hill skier teqnique..
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]we should've had a charlton life oscars.

the nominees for the worst would ya....

the ridiculously rose tinted comment award goes to...

the suicidal 'were doomed' post nominees are....

google images lifetime contribution goes to....adamtheaddick

etc etc[/quote]

ou know that would be a luagh end of teh season Oscars we could include the team in this as well
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't believe that they gave the oscar for best animated feature to Wall-E and Persepolis wasn't even nominated.

Also thought Penn in Milk was just Penn doing his best gay impression. Mickey Rourke should have won although none of the male performances were particularly mind blowing this year.

And for me, Winsley was better in Revolutionary Road than she was in The Reader.
  • wtf happened to Mickey Rourke's face?

http://www.rocknflicks.com/userimages/user-5306281_1164245803.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086216/

26 years of abuse or did he have a bad accident?
  • For me it's just that I've not really got any interest in any competition in which it is perfectly acceptable - even expected - to give gifts to the judges.

Further, I can never understand why a bunch of highly paid people need to have a glittery jamboree every year to tell us which films and performers a non-representative group of bribed individuals consider to decide which they consdier the best. And there's a number of these things. I mean I find it odd that bogroll companies compete for awards too, but I don't think that it's any less weird than the Oscars. People who drive themselves mental about some working class lad getting paid a decent wage for playing football will happily tune in to watch a model turned singer turned actor wearing a bizarre dress and walking on a carpet on the pavement: in the hopes of winning a statue on top of the millions that they've been handed.

Finally, as awards, they're utterly pointless. Proof: Paul Newman did he win the Oscar for Coolhand Luke or Sundance or the Hustle? Nope, none of the above, it was the rather shitty Colour of Money. An Pacino - surely he got his for Scarface, the Godfather or Glengarry? Nope it was the tedious pack of shit Scent of a Woman in which he blunders around (he's supposed to be blind - see?) saying "hoo-ha" over and over again in the hope that some idiots will not notice that it is a crap movie, a succesful policy. If these twunts believe Scent of a Woman and Colour of Money are better films than the Godfather, Scarface, Coolhand Luke and the Hustler then I believe I'm a better judge of films than them.
  • I think you may have beaten Leroy to "rant of the year" trophy :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]If these twunts believe Scent of a Woman and Colour of Money are better films than the Godfather, Scarface, Coolhand Luke and the Hustler then I believe I'm a better judge of films than them.

I love the word twunt me! Charlie Brooker used it the other day on the tele which was the first time I'd heard it in that context.

Nice work on the rant BTW.
  • For those of you that appreciate animation, slapstick, and have a slightly warped sense of humour, This Way Up, one of the Oscar nominated animated short films is available on iPlayer til next Tuesday. It put me in mind of the late lamented "Monkey Dust", in that I kept thinking, "I shouldn't really be laughing at this" but guffawing away regardless.
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Very surprised no comments about the OSCARS, are there no film fans out there? I do not expect talk about dresses - far too girly but is Slumdog worthy of 8 Academy Awards, should Sean Penn have won?.... discuss

I only watch the coverage for the dresses/disasters! Some American actress took her Mum and Grandmother, who was wearing an obscenely low-cut dress for someone of her age and boob size!!!!

Haven't seen any of the films nominated so no opinion on whether they were worthy or not. Love Kate Winslet though so pleased for her.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]wtf happened to Mickey Rourke's face?

http://www.rocknflicks.com/userimages/user-5306281_1164245803.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086216/

26 years of abuse or did he have a bad accident?

He went back to being a boxer back int he 80's I think and needed surgery apparently.
  • I'm married to a girl's who's family are all int he film biz and her cousin was up for an oscar last year (he didn't win) and was involved in one of the big films that was up this year and I can safely say that the majority opinion fielded by them is that the Oscars is a load of cobblers.