Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Pass - 38 minute interview with Steve Gallen

Comments

• Supporters who purchase a live stream pass for any of Charlton’s next three games (Plymouth Argyle, Leyton Orient or Gillingham) can get an exclusive first look at the 38-minute interview . The first look is also available to Valley Pass subscribers. Click here to purchase a live streaming pass or a Valley Pass subscription.

The interview will be available for free on the club’s YouTube channel at 3pm on Saturday, November 14th. 

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fa428e715734/first-look-an-interview-with-steve-gallen

• Others will hear it watching the video but I'm quite enjoying Gallen's reaction when talking about the previous owners

Also find it interesting how he just very briefly mentioned Farnell but focused primarily on the Romanians and how they perhaps got some stick that they perhaps didnt deserve from us... Nothing of course said about the same with regards to Farnell which I find a bit telling!!
  • From the hint dropped by Steve it seems Mihail had a plan that from the outside looked like incompetence and we might owe an apology.
  • Love to hear Steve Gallen speak. Look forward to hearing this. 

Imagine Mihail was playing 4D Chess all along!! 
  • Great interview, he speaks so well. The guy is an absolute boss at what he does, we’re so lucky to have him!

Couple of interesting things:
    - He said that loaning out Lapslie and Oztumer and replacing them with Shinnie and Smyth actually saved the club money
    - He said the club got a really good deal on Dillon, plus a sell-on fee. I think it must be more than the £200-300k that’s been rumoured
    Thought that was interesting too.

I assume we're not paying all of Shinnie or Smyth's wages, hence the saving.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the hint dropped by Steve it seems Mihail had a plan that from the outside looked like incompetence and we might owe an apology.
    Mihail always struck me as a decent person, and that never wavered even at the depth of the court ruling

The whole legal saga is still baffling though, if Sandgaard was able to just bypass it anyway
  • clive said:
    What a farcical situation, that with our hypothetical £100k, we could end up buying someone on the 31st January so that we could pay them the highest wage for the shortest possible time
    Mihail always struck me as a decent person, and that never wavered even at the depth of the court ruling

The whole legal saga is still baffling though, if Sandgaard was able to just bypass it anyway
    Needed EFL approval and a deal with RD so had to go along with the court case in order to get the whole thing completed, I imagine. 
  • A superb interview. Steve gave a real candid view of what went on over the last year. 
    We truly are lucky to have him. An absolute gent, with a very strong winner’s mentality. 

I felt the moment everything went through that Mihail had been treating Charlton as separate from ESI all along - Had he filled the evidence properly like we all berated him for then I wouldnt be surprised if the threads on this Forum would be dominated by the impending court case at the end of the month
  • Oggy Red said:
    Proof that Steve Gallen reads Charlton Life and saw Golfie's posts:

"Gallen said: “I see what some of the fans are saying ‘we didn’t get a 20-goal striker’. But I know that. I don’t want to be disrespectful to any of our players but it’s more the sum of our parts, that’s how I see it.

“How do you get a 20-goal striker? Who are you going to get? Jonson Clarke-Harris? Fair enough – £1.2million. And then whatever the wages – eight grand- when we’ve got two to spare.”

:wink:

Was interesting when Gallen mentioned the Salary Cap went through by one vote
  • Great listen, well done Ollie.
  • Brilliant interview. Absolute diamond is Steve G.
  • Sponsored links:

• Excellent listen, very knowledgeable man Steve. Hope we can hang on to him and Lee for a while.
  • edited November 2020
    Charlton are unique, that Steven Gallen is as important to our future as Lee Bowyer, In some ways more so. Would be great if Lee, Steve and JJ can stay on this journey now Thomas Sandgaard is our main man.
  • A really interesting and insightful and interview.

I remember reading an article on the day of the first leg of the Donny play-off semi-final in May 2019 that Gallen had been offered more money to take up a similar position at Oxford earlier that year. Thank goodness he stayed. The guy is worth his weight in gold.
  • The professionalism that comes through in that interview is very impressive. As fans, we may have suffered, but these guys had a job to do and what they have achieved in the circumstances is exceptional. With Thomas behind them we at last have something tangible to look forward to. Thanks Steve and Lee and the rest of the club "management".
    I will watch the Plymouth game and then watch this. I’ll certainly be interested in what he has to say about Mihail, and what exactly I should apologise to him for.

Does he say anything specific  about Florica? I bet not....
  • edited November 2020
  • edited November 2020
    From the hint dropped by Steve it seems Mihail had a plan that from the outside looked like incompetence and we might owe an apology.
    I will watch the Plymouth game and then watch this. I’ll certainly be interested in what he has to say about Mihail, and what exactly I should apologise to him for.

He focuses on Mihail for special praise but he does also mention “Claudiu” and says they were both nice chaps, basically.
  • edited November 2020
    I found him to be really impressive. Positive in his outlook even in the darkest of times. 

As for Mihail, I suspect we are never really going to know if he was a benign or malign figure behind the scenes.

Its possible to retro fit the narrative into the actual outcome but if SGs opinion was on the positive side that's good enough for me. People do people and he came over as a really good one. 

Thomas is lucky to have him and LB in place.

He focuses on Mihail for special praise but he does also mention “Claudiu” and says they were both nice chaps, basically.
    Blimey.

• Did someone say this was going up on the cafc you tube channel on Saturday? Can’t find it