Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taking a frying pan to School

WTF is that about?

My son's junior School asked him to bring a frying pan into school today.

Most likely some sort of PC nonsense where they celebrate some custom or religion we've never heard of or are the cuts so bad they can't afford proper cooking utensils.

I blame Red Boris and Andrew Mills.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Well when it comes to political correctness Ben you should know mate!
  • I WAS GONNA SAY IT'S PANCAKE DAY Henners
  • Pancake day

Im in shock that they would allow such a thing is school with all the PC nonsense , health & Safetly issues that could arise.

As its alsoChristian event it should be banned think of all the people it would offend these poor children would be scarred for life,
  • Whoooooooooooooosh

They have pancake races every year as I ran/hobbled in one a few years ago.

Nice to see a few traditions still going if only to keep Nolly happy.
  • I once got a week's detention for during Home Economics smashing a frying pan round the head of the fella i sit next to at The Valley.

He proper milked it and got himself sent home with concussion, and i was hilariously told by the teacher that i was likely to grow up a football hooligan.

(Johnboy, Chris from Sid, PITL etc who was the HE teacher other than Lawson ?)
  • When did Pancake Day become a Christian event? The Christians take over the winter feast and call it Christmas, and now it's the humble pancake. Is nothing sacred?
  • You mark my words, they'll be muscling in on Easter next......
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Mrs Sawyer.

Always the first thing to look out for at the start of the new school year - have I avoided Miss Lawson?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd complain Henry, but will it stick?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]You mark my words, they'll be muscling in on Easter next......

you mean Beltane surely ; - )
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I'd complain Henry, but will it stick?

No, he's a good cook
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]When did Pancake Day become a Christian event? The Christians take over the winter feast and call it Christmas, and now it's the humble pancake. Is nothing sacred?[/quote]

Says so on my Faith Calander

Also

Shrove Tuesday is a term used in Ireland, the United Kingdom,[1] and Australia[2] for the day preceding the first day of the Christian holiday season of Lent.

The word shrove is the past tense of the English verb shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of Confession and doing penance. Thus Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the shriving that English Christians were expected to do prior to receiving absolution immediately before Lent begins. Shrove Tuesday is the last day of "shrovetide", the English equivalent to the Carnival tradition that developed separately in countries of Latin Europe. The term "Shrove Tuesday" is no longer widely known in the United States outside of Liturgical Traditions, such as the Lutheran, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic Churches. [3][4] because of the increase in many immigrant populations and traditions since the 19th century. "Mardi Gras" is much more widely-used.

Fat Tuesday
    In countries of the Carnival tradition, the day before Ash Wednesday is known either as Fat Tuesday (Portuguese, Terça-feira Gorda; French, Mardi Gras; Italian, Martedì Grasso; Swedish, Fettisdagen; Estonian, Vastlapäev), or the "Tuesday of Carnival" (Spanish, Martes de Carnaval; Portuguese, Terça-feira de Carnaval; German, Faschingsdienstag). This is in reference to eating special foods before the fasting season of Lent.

Among Anglicans, Lutherans and other Protestant denominations, and among cultures in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, this day is also known as Pancake Tuesday, as it is customary to eat pancakes on this day
  • That's it Low Ears, Mrs Sawyer, peg leg's wife.

Was in the room next to the canteen.

20 years ago :-(
  • It's what all the kids are doing inspired by El Fuerte from Street Fighter IV...

• Where did they store the hens eggs during Lent. Was there an egg mountain?
  • Well, he's back and after wasting an assembly talking about "Lentil and giving up something" they spent a good hour running silly races in the playground (in which Henry Jnr came 2nd, 1st and 1st).

In Russia and China 3 year olds are practising for the next Olympics but our kids are flipping food in the playground. Good practice for working in McDonalds I guess which will be the only jobs left in this country soon.

Is this what you childless people pay taxes for other people's kids to do?

Could they not have spent the time better in the brand new ICT suite doing a powerpoint presentation about the Alps (which is what he did in the morning)

Mad PC madness gone mad I say.
  • Was it called 'Advancing the Alps' Henry?
  • In Russia and China 3 year olds are practising for the next Olympics but our kids are flipping food in the playground

Im sure Lord Coe mentioned this would be a olympic sport by 2012
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Low_Ears[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Mrs Sawyer.

Always the first thing to look out for at the start of the new school year - have I avoided Miss Lawson?

Shall we have Jessie Lawson as this week's "would ya"?!
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]In Russia and China 3 year olds are practising for the next Olympics but our kids are flipping food in the playground

Im sure Lord Coe mentioned this would be a olympic sport by 2012

Hope so cos young Henry might have a chance.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]In Russia and China 3 year olds are practising for the next Olympics but our kids are flipping food in the playground

Im sure Lord Coe mentioned this would be a olympic sport by 2012[/quote]

Hope so cos young Henry might have a chance.[/quote]

Well thats one gold we will get then LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]

Shall we have Jessie Lawson as this week's "would ya"?!

Thanks HH - now I've got to clear up the vomit off of my monitor.
  • share the piccy then boys and we will choose
  • Henry

Please can you confirm your lad was running witha metal frying pan?

Did the school have a risk assessment done? im sure there are H&S issues all round here, as well potenial for law suits if a child fell and grazed a knee. As well as carrying a offesinve weapon in school

Mrs Smith would have here little johnny up in the Eueopeon court of human rights if this had happened i can see a 6 figure payout.

As well as teh non Christian children who would be offended by this and teh trauma it would cause, in fact the school needs shutting down AT ONCE
  • [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Was it called 'Advancing the Alps' Henry?

Could have been.

He also did the Andes and Himalayas so I predict some South American players and a new ground in Shangra La
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Henry

Please can you confirm your lad was running witha metal frying pan?

Did the school have a risk assessment done? im sure there are H&S issues all round here, as well potenial for law suits if a child fell and grazed a knee. As well as carrying a offesinve weapon in school

Mrs Smith would have here little johnny up in the Eueopeon court of human rights if this had happened i can see a 6 figure payout.

As well as teh non Christian children who would be offended by this and teh trauma it would cause, in fact the school needs shutting down AT ONCE

Oh, yes heavy metal pan.

Thing is that sort of stuff doesn't happen in Bromley : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]share the piccy then boys and we will choose

The only piccy will be the one Low Ears keeps in his wallet. Can you scan it in?
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    The only piccy will be the one Low Ears keeps in his wallet. Can you scan it in?

I don't know if I've still got it as I haven't opened my wallet since 2004.