Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JJ Williams RIP

Legendary Wales, British and Irish Lions and Llanelli wing JJ Williams has died at the age of 72.

He scored 12 tries in 30 Tests as Wales won four Five Nations titles, including two Grand Slams, during the 1970s.

A former sprinter who represented Wales at the Commonwealth Games, Williams also scored five tries in seven Tests for the Lions across two tours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54571230

Comments

• One of the all time greats, a superb sportsman and gentlemen to boot.
    RIP......JJ......RIP.
  • Terrific winger.  Saw him play for Cambridge in the Varsity game at Twickenham when I was a teenager. Sadly, the light blues lost! RIP
  • Reckon he was the quickest...RIP 
  • Fabulous Rugby player. RIP.
  • Great rugby player who was perhaps underrated a bit, given the other great names around at the time in that legendary Welsh side of the seventies, and a GB standard sprinter too in his prime.

RIP JJ.
  • lolwray said:
    Reckon he was the quickest...RIP 

JJ was a Welsh sprinter in the Commonwealth games and was lightening on the rugby field.

Not to be confused with Doctor JPR Williams who played at the same time.
    (For the non rugby fans or youngsters)

Superb record for Wales and the British Lions.

RIP JJ Williams.

• One of the stand out players in an awe inspiring Welsh side - a magnificent rugby player.

RIP JJ
  • Part of a truly great Welsh side

RIP JJ
  • Yes. A magnificent rugby player. RIP JJ. What a team that Welsh team was. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A great player in a great team. RIP JJ
  • Great player, great loss.

Gyda cymdymdeimlad.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🏉

• part of one of the great Welsh teams of the 1970s .. 30 caps and 12 tries, when tries were worth 4 points ..  72 is no great age nowadays .. R I P
  • RIP JJ.
    My first thought was that it was JPR who is still very much alive.
  • As much as it was galling to see him and that wonderful Welsh team trample England game after game back in the day,when we could get behind JJ as a British Lion it was amazing to have him on your side.His play was like getting the proverbial genie back into the bottle and the All Blacks and Springboks had no answer to him.A wonderfully fluent runner,a very intelligent player and a joy to behold.Another sad loss.RIP,great Welshman(from an Englishman).
  • A name synonymous with my childhood watching every sport that ITV and BBC showed. RIP JJ. 
  • Been said a couple of times already but he was a great player in a great Welsh side.

RIP JJ
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP JJ , magnificent for Wales and the Lions , big part of watching rugby on TV as a school boy , terrific pace.