Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will the 20/21 season end via PPG?

edited October 2020 in General Charlton
Apologies if there’s already a thread on this topic but is anyone else concerned about the season finishing early and the dreaded PPG system being used again? 

With the amount of games being postponed due to COVID and with no bail out money coming anytime soon, I’d be shocked if all 24 clubs could finish the season. 

Comments

• You wouldn't end a season unless a decent number of games had been complete, at least 30 I'd suggest
  • Could be two or three more seasons with fans in the ground though.
  • Chizz said:
    Yes, it will be decided on a points per game basis. As it has been every season for decades.
    This.
  • This season will be played without fans entering a stadium.
    The season will finish without a delay.
    Sounds like another ITK thread ;)
    I can't see how you can be so sure, it could become
    an issue without fans in the stadium, games are
    starting to be postponed due to clubs with covid players
    so you could have a case of two games every week, or
    even cut short and indeed a PPG scenario, who knows?
  • The number of games currently being postponed and postponed so late, added to the utter witless absence of clue, guidance or care coming from EFL will ensure this season gets written off.  It won't get written off until about 3 months after any sensible deadline but these sponging cretins at EFL couldn't organise a punch up at a 'wall match.
    I'm not suggesting it's easy nor that COVID infections won't throw up tricky situations. A one size fits all set of match on/match off regulations clearly couldn't predict every outcome but at the moment there is no specific set of rules or even guidelines for the current conditions.  These conditions that have been in play since March FFS!!
    7 months on and the gravy train supping leaches are still getting fatter while achieving the square root of fuck all that's useful.  Sleepwalking into avoidable disaster - absolutely standard dereliction of duty from Parry and all his toadying scum.
    Take Swindon & Accrington just his week - 2 games each, off at very short notice.  "The circumstances surrounding the postponement will be investigated in accordance with EFL regulations."  "The decision follows the recent positive Covid-19 tests and the requirement for players and staff to self-isolate as per EFL and government guidance in order to mitigate against the risk of further infection,"

These pathetic arseholes won't even take responsibility - fucking "government guidance".  If they were worth 1% of their obscene salaries they'd have got the club owners together and thrashed out their own specific guidelines.  Getting all the matches played shouldn't even be that high up their list of responsibilities - maybe protecting the players, staff and officials.  The on/off/on/eventually off fiasco of the Oxford Swindon game is emblematic of just what a careless clueless bunch of crooked twats they all are. 

Meantime we'll just have to enjoy as many games as Charlton get to play and hope there's still a meaningful competition left to take part in when COVID ceases to be the size of danger it is today.
  • I’m with elfs, I don’t think there will be another suspension of the league and it will finish. Teams may have to forfeit games if they can’t be fitted in.

common sense will also kick in, didn’t Ipswich play someone else when our fixture was called off due to internationals.
  • I’m with elfs, I don’t think there will be another suspension of the league and it will finish. Teams may have to forfeit games if they can’t be fitted in.

common sense will also kick in, didn’t Ipswich play someone else when our fixture was called off due to internationals.
    How do you organize the scenario of some teams having
    to forfeit games, who decides which games are forfeited 
    and what if any results and points placings are sorted.
    Are we talking of a "pools panel" decision.
    I feel if it came to that, the season will be cut short again
    and PPG could be an out for the EFL.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you don’t test, as the League has decided to do, then you’ll end up with the mess you have at the moment, I don’t think the season will be pulled, as it will probably kill huge swathes of the League. 
  • Glad you’re all so certain nothing at all could impact the season. 

Although, nobody has quite answered my question regarding clubs going bust. If the finances are as bad as owners say they are, you can expect multiple clubs to go bust before the end of the season. 

Let’s say 10 clubs no longer have the money to pay players and therefore can’t fulfil fixtures, what happens then? 
  • This season will be played without fans entering a stadium.
    The season will finish without a delay.
    Cheers Greg Dyke.
  • If we league was stopped after 20 games, they'd just resume it when safe. There has to be a sensible number of games played for a division to be considered finished

If necessary, I'm sure 20/21 will continue next summer or even into the early autumn
  • Chizz said:
    Yes, it will be decided on a points per game basis. As it has been every season for decades.
    As you would probably say, had someone else stated that it will be decided on a points per game basis as it has been every season for decades, I will suggests that this won't, necessarily, be the case. It might be decided on goal difference or even goals scored!
  • Has there been loads of Postponements? Looking at the leagues, apart from Oxford, everyone has played at least 7.
  • Has there been loads of Postponements? Looking at the leagues, apart from Oxford, everyone has played at least 7.
    Yeah I’m not sure it’s as dire as it’s been made out in the OP, surprisingly few games postponed given that there’s a global pandemic taking place really. 

That’s not to say it won’t deteriorate but with so many real life things to worry about at the moment I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about hypothetical scenarios.  
  • se9addick said:
    Has there been loads of Postponements? Looking at the leagues, apart from Oxford, everyone has played at least 7.
    Yeah I’m not sure it’s as dire as it’s been made out in the OP, surprisingly few games postponed given that there’s a global pandemic taking place really. 

That’s not to say it won’t deteriorate but with so many real life things to worry about at the moment I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about hypothetical scenarios.  
    I can see Stanley have had their next 3 postponed which is obviously shit. Is it still unclear how many have to have caught Covid before a game gets postponed? Are clubs still continually testing?
  • se9addick said:
    Has there been loads of Postponements? Looking at the leagues, apart from Oxford, everyone has played at least 7.

I can see Stanley have had their next 3 postponed which is obviously shit. Is it still unclear how many have to have caught Covid before a game gets postponed? Are clubs still continually testing?
    Clubs aren't doing any regular testing, they can't afford it

Scunthorpe have just had 3 games postponed. 8 testing positive, and 10 self isolating
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad you’re all so certain nothing at all could impact the season. 

Although, nobody has quite answered my question regarding clubs going bust. If the finances are as bad as owners say they are, you can expect multiple clubs to go bust before the end of the season. 

Let’s say 10 clubs no longer have the money to pay players and therefore can’t fulfil fixtures, what happens then? 
    Then, in that very imho unlikely scenario, their results are expunged and the remaining 14 play out a 26 game season.

I can see a few clubs going into administration but that's not the same as not fulfilling their fixtures. Again, Bury went mid- season so not impossible.

BTW those saying every season is completed using PPG, they are not.

Normal seasons are completed using points per season. The points aren't divided by the number of games played.
  • edited October 2020

• se9addick said:

I'm with this one. Considering what has been going on with the pandemic since September I'm surprised not more games have been called off. Once you get to 4 or 5 games per division per week getting called off I don't really think there is much of a problem fixture wise. I even think fans might be let back into grounds once a vaccine is widely available, which may be in the Spring. Still hoping to see us win promotion in the flesh at Plymouth or Accrington.....
  • Points per game, points per season... Usually doesn't matter unless sides have played a different number of games. 
  • edited October 2020
    Technically, half the games is probably the point the season could be decided on PPG or league positions if the same number of games have been played. The argument being that everybody will have played each other. We can't predict what will happen, and we all hope the season is completed, but the sooner we are in the top two, or at least the top six, the better.
  • edited October 2020
    As we stand: 

PPG Position
    True Position
    Team
    Games Played
    AccumulatedPoints
    Points Per Game
    Positions Moved up
    Lincoln City
    Peterborough United
    Hull City
    Ipswich Town
    Sunderland
    Doncaster Rovers
    Charlton Athletic
    Portsmouth
    Accrington Stanley
    Bristol Rovers
    Plymouth Argyle
    Crewe Alexandra
    Fleetwood Town
    Gillingham
    Rochdale
    AFC Wimbledon
    Oxford United
    Blackpool
    Wigan Athletic
    Northampton Town
    Shrewsbury Town
    Swindon Town
    Milton Keynes Dons
    Burton Albion
  • the cynical side of my nature tells me that it's not impossible that a club or 6 in danger of the drop might suddenly find that 3/4 of their playing staffs are covid 19 victims and thus not able to play a few games or even to see out the season. If so, it will be VERY difficult to prove otherwise and we might well to back to a P P G settle up  come Easter 2021
  • Lets just get into the top 2 and then no matter what happens we'll be fine. 

Will be interesting to see what happens over December when certain teams are 4-5 games behind everyone else due to infections. 
  • the cynical side of my nature tells me that it's not impossible that a club or 6 in danger of the drop might suddenly find that 3/4 of their playing staffs are covid 19 victims and thus not able to play a few games or even to see out the season. If so, it will be VERY difficult to prove otherwise and we might well to back to a P P G settle up  come Easter 2021
    It would be very easy to prove, test the players