Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• colthe3rd said:
    Just a thought about today. Should Hindley have not gone a bit earlier? Looked like he had a bit in the tank with those 3 attempts I just wonder whether mentally going with a few more kms to go would have been a lot tougher for Tao to go with especially after the first couple of attempts Hindley seemed to ease off once he realised he hadn't got free
    Don't think he had enough to get shot of him. You could clearly see that TGH was equal to every dig he put in. If he'd tried to gap him earlier, he might have run out of gas himself and handed it to him. Think he did all he could, and Ineos just played a blinder, like they did yesterday. Dennis was an absolute, utter monster. The 
  • Funny about ineos, a week into the Giro and after what happened with Bernal couple of weeks before it was all very doom and gloom. Now you're looking at the potential of tomorrow and the monster team they could send to tdf next year. 
  • If Ganna wins tomorrow they'll have won a third of all the Giro stages.  Can't think of any team to have done that in recent times. 
  • Didn't Petacchi win nine stages himself back in the early 2000s?
  • Loved the look Hindley gave Dennis when the latter returned to the front after being dropped  
  • Not been following much but after seeing that Tao is a Hackney lad I’m more invested! Has a Londoner ever won the giro before?
  • No Londoner has won a stage of the Giro before.

Brits who have won a Giro stage include those born in Mtarfa, Malta; Nairobi, Kenya; Ghent, Belgium; The Isle of Man and of course a lady from Glasgow.
  • Addickted said:
    No Londoner has won a stage of the Giro before.

Brits who have won a Giro stage include those born in Mtarfa, Malta; Nairobi, Kenya; Ghent, Belgium; The Isle of Man and of course a lady from Glasgow.
    And of course Derby.
  • Addickted said:
    No Londoner has won a stage of the Giro before.

And of course Derby.
    Actually was Max Sciandri 'Italian' when he one stages at the Giro? I think he only become 'British' later in his carer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ganna so good again 
  • Superb TGH!!!
  • Amazing stuff. 
  • edited October 2020
    Got quite emotional there. Well done that lad, what an achievement.
  • A Woolwich rider was the Lanterne Rouge in the Tour De France once in 1968. John Clarey of Woolwich CC. He was a PE teacher who used to take the after school club at my Primary School in Brockley. 
  • Love the fact he still looks about 12 😁
  • Nice looking trophy. 
  • I know it’s happened by accident, but I really enjoy the new ‘free-flow‘ Ineos team. 

After Bernal dropped out of the Tour, they were very exciting ... and the same has happened here, resulting in their most successful Grand Tour. 
  • Interesting interview by Brailsford afterward. Be good to see if they concentrate on a more attacking, entertaining approach next year. I doubt it though, he likes winning way too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting interview by Brailsford afterward. Be good to see if they concentrate on a more attacking, entertaining approach next year. 
    Fully agree 
  • edited October 2020
    Well done Tao!!
    What a Giro that was. 
  • What a great race this turned out to be, really enjoyed it start to finish and especially getting another British Grand tour champion. Simply stunning entertainment.
  • Hackney’s finest 
  • Rothko said:
    Hackney’s finest 
    That would be my dad.
  • Late to this one as avoiding spoilers until I watched the hi-lights last night. What a fantastic race this turned out to be and the result, well nobody saw that coming. Well done Tao, may this win be the first of many.
  • Addickted said:
    Didn't Petacchi win nine stages himself back in the early 2000s?
     Wow that's pretty impressive.  Last time 7 stages won in the Tour was the Renault team in '84.  They did have Hinault, Fignon, Lemond, Madiot and Mottet though.

Ben Swift for the Vuelta next year.  
  • well done Tao. looked so good in the last week. 

the success of British riders this last decade has been tremendous. long may it continue. if we had this much success in football there would be parties in the streets every year (socially distanced ones for this particularly victory)