Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

80's electro

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'm doing a bit of an electro with a mate of mine for a elecro/80's/house set

I have a lot of stuff I'm already playing with Gary Numan, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode etc.

However does anyone know what the record is that The Similou used in a sample a few years back? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVmh6dhFzA

Also any electro related ideas would be gratefully received. Cheers chips

Comments

• The tone of that bit from Similou sends very like Jean Michel Jarre's version of Popcorn, but the notes are in the wrong order. Maybe it's something from the same album.

Just out of interest Carter, what definition of electro are we using here? The early 80's synth heavy pop stuff, or the later stuff that's closer to hip-hop?
  • Both mate, the poppy stuff and the break hip-hoppy stuff. I wanna start with the human league sort of synthy stuff moving through to the electro dirty stuff thats about now
  • Twlight 22 - Electric Kingdom
    Cybrotron - Clear
    Xena - On The Upside
    Freestyle - Dont stop the rock
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Both mate, the poppy stuff and the break hip-hoppy stuff. I wanna start with the human league sort of synthy stuff moving through to the electro dirty stuff thats about now

you could do my 40th but plenty of old rave stuff mate aphrodisiac
  • Nice

Freestyle do the track on that mental eyebrow advert do they not?
  • Never had you down as a raver Steve!!
  • Heaven 17, League Unlimited Orchestra, John Foxx, Visage.

Gary Numan is a top bloke, met him a few years ago. Really nice guy.
  • can you see NSS with white gloves and a horn

larfing now just thinking about it
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Never had you down as a raver Steve!!
    mate i used to have a blinding pair of curtains.

The tainted Love rave version, i've still got it some where.

Frankie Knuckles IF all I got is !!!!!! blinding record.

Goin back to my roots The (something) project
  • edited February 2009
    bring back those days

i went to a heavy trance escape to samsara at labrinth when Swainey one of the tottenham hoolies re run the club about 8 or 9 years back

off my titts lost 4 hours of my life that night and was left naked on the dance floor with the wife trying to re dress me the DJ took me places that night that i did not know music and e's could take you
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    was proper hard core mate that night i ended up with the tottenham lot until sunday night from saturday afternoon very fuked up all the aberdean boys were down and those sweatys like a rave i tell thee
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Never had you down as a raver Steve!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJ4qKlO5uU&annotation_id=annotation_825871&feature=iv

just call me techno viking
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]bring back those days

i went to a heavy trance escape to samsara at labrinth when Swainey one of the tottenham hoolies re run the club about 8 or 9 years back

off my titts lost 4 hours of my life that night and was left naked on the dance floor with the wife trying to re dress me the DJ took me places that night that i did not know music and e's could take you

cracking post nla lol
  • edited February 2009
    I assume you've got the traditional choices of "The Model" by Kraftwerk, "Blue Monday" by New Order, and "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock already?

I can only help with the more mainstream stuff really
    "Don't Go" - Yazoo (and if we're going for the Vince Clark connection, you probably want some Erasure in there as well - "Sometimes" or "Drama" maybe?)
    "Fade to Grey" - Visage
    "Hyperactive" - Thomas Dolby
    "Reward" - Teardrop Explodes
    I tend to find OMD a bit dreary but "Enola Gay" isn't bad.
    "Ghosts" by China Crisis Japan is a bit slow, "Quiet Life" might work better.
    "In The Name Of Love" or maybe "Love on Your Side" - The Thompson Twins
    "Things Can only Get Better" - Howard Jones
    "Living on the Ceiling" - Blancmange
    Early Eurythmics maybe "Sweet Dreams" or "Who's That Girl?"
    "Smalltown Boy" - Bronski Beat
    Not sure if "Temptation" by Heaven 17 and "Planet Earth" by Duran Duran are synthy enough, but they're in that general direction.

There's a bunch of film related stuff like Vangelis' work on "Bladerunner", Harold Faltermeyer's stuff from "Beverley Hills Cop", oh and the aforementioned Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene that you might want to take a look at. And if you don't mind veering into the realms of the slightly silly there's "Einstein A Go-go" by Landscape, or "This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us" by Sparks.
  • you put a lot of effort into that one ali
  • I have seen Gary Numan a couple of times and im 13 love the song Cars
  • edited February 2009
    Quote _ "Ghosts" by China Crisis is a bit slow, "Quiet Life" might work better.

Japan not China Crisis :-)
  • Doh! Teach me to proof read more carefully. I meant Japan, but China Crisis was the next track on the album I was looking at.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]you put a lot of effort into that one ali
    Only if you count wandering over to the 80s section of my CD collection and going "yes, yes, no, maybe, ooh I haven't listened to this one for ages" as a lot of effort :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• For some 80's done in 2008/9 get the Neon Neon and Ladyhawke albums.
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I assume you've got the traditional choices of "The Model" by Kraftwerk, "Blue Monday" by New Order, and "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock already?

I can only help with the more mainstream stuff really
    "Don't Go" - Yazoo (and if we're going for the Vince Clark connection, you probably want some Erasure in there as well - "Sometimes" or "Drama" maybe?)
    "Fade to Grey" - Visage
    "Hyperactive" - Thomas Dolby
    "Reward" - Teardrop Explodes
    I tend to find OMD a bit dreary but "Enola Gay" isn't bad.
    "Ghosts" by[strike]China Crisis[/strike]Japan is a bit slow, "Quiet Life" might work better.
    "In The Name Of Love" or maybe "Love on Your Side" - The Thompson Twins
    "Things Can only Get Better" - Howard Jones
    "Living on the Ceiling" - Blancmange
    Early Eurythmics maybe "Sweet Dreams" or "Who's That Girl?"
    "Smalltown Boy" - Bronski Beat
    Not sure if "Temptation" by Heaven 17 and "Planet Earth" by Duran Duran are synthy enough, but they're in that general direction.

There's a bunch of film related stuff like Vangelis' work on "Bladerunner", Harold Faltermeyer's stuff from "Beverley Hills Cop", oh and the aforementioned Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene that you might want to take a look at. And if you don't mind veering into the realms of the slightly silly there's "Einstein A Go-go" by Landscape, or "This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us" by Sparks.

Yeah a lot of the mainstream stuff I already had ticked off, Don't go by Yazoo and I ran by flock of seaguls are two strong ones. Blue Monday always gets a workout by me anyway. A very good way to open a set or night.

A lot of it maybe I have heard but not known who did it, really appreciate the suggestions though mate they will get investigated.

Ladyhawke, Goldfrapp, Justice and MGMT will all get a play toward the end along with Chemical Brothers and some Prodigy. Should be an interesting set list anyway.

I don't know if many of you are aware but there are quite a lot of tech/funky and electro house nights already going on in Medway/Maidstone. I'm looking at doing something a bit different with a pal of mine, my 90's revivak night ideas were well-received but I'm not sure there is enough legs in it and possibly electro is the way to go to keep feet tapping and dancing. Some great music though in the 90's and would be a cracking night of nostaligia for someone of my age but I doubt very much it would be a fun thing to do more than once.

Really appreciate the suggestions though lads/lasses and your story had me laughing my arse off NLA!
  • I'm already playing with Gary Numan, Pet Shop Boys,

Hoping Gherbils are not involved with that.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Heaven 17, League Unlimited Orchestra, John Foxx, Visage.

Gary Numan is a top bloke, met him a few years ago. Really nice guy.[/quote]

Yep Gary Numan is a nice fella, his fans on the other hand are a peculiar bunvh who love to take the odd bite out of people!

Ok 80s stuff
    Heaven 17 - Im your money
    Classix Nouveax - Tokyo
    Teardop Explodes - Treason
    A Flock of Seagulls - I ran/Space age love song
    Visage - Fade to grey
    Thompson Twins

There is so much more to choose from!
  • [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]I'm already playing with Gary Numan, Pet Shop Boys,

Hoping Gherbils are not involved with that.

Haha not my thing, gerbils and tubes. Steer clear of Marc Almond too I will.

Leave all that to Richard Gere
  • Fashion were good, liked the track Move On. I borrwed the album off Covered End 20 odd years ago, I wonder if he still has it.
    I did give it back.
  • How about some of these?

Guru Josh - Infinity
    Black Box - Ride on Time
    Source/Candi Staton - You got the love
    M People - Moving on Up
    808 State - Pacific State
    Blue Pearl - Naked in the Rain
    Adamski - Killer
  • Also...

A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
    Lisa Stansfield - This Is The Right Time
    Cold Cut/Lisa Stansfield - People Hold On
    Donna Allen - Joy And Pain
    Beats International - Dub Be Good To Me
    De La Soul - Me, Myself and I
    KLF - The What Time Is Love
  • What about Ultravox (both with and without John Foxx)- never got to see them first time around but I have got tickets to 2 gigs on their forthcoming 25th anniversary tour. Also what about Jan Hammer Miami Vice Theme tune? oh and how about The Mobiles biggest hit- Drowning In Berlin? or anything from the debut Solo album by JJ Burnel from the Stranglers which came out in '79- Euroman Cometh- very Euro electro
  • Kraftwerk - Radioactivity & Tour De France

Time Zone - World Destruction & Wildstyle

Afrika Bambaata - Planet Rock