Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Very impressed to see van der Poel hold him off. 

Ouch, your crash sounds bloody painful. 
    I've had worse in races. Nearly died three years ago in France when a moody Swede cut across my line cresting the first climb of the fat lad world champs. Had my head run over crashing in a crit and broke my wrist, jaw and lost two front teeth in another one. At least when you crash on a push bike though it rarely kills you. Of I was stupid enough to translate the need for that adrenaline rush to moto GP I reckon I'd be dead with a month 😂
    Glad I’m too old for it all 😉
    I'm 47 next month 😂😂😂
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Very impressed to see van der Poel hold him off. 

Ouch, your crash sounds bloody painful. 
    I've had worse in races. Nearly died three years ago in France when a moody Swede cut across my line cresting the first climb of the fat lad world champs. Had my head run over crashing in a crit and broke my wrist, jaw and lost two front teeth in another one. At least when you crash on a push bike though it rarely kills you. Of I was stupid enough to translate the need for that adrenaline rush to moto GP I reckon I'd be dead with a month 😂
    Glad I’m too old for it all 😉
    I'm 47 next month 😂😂😂
    Chapeau!
  • UAE Team Emirates rider Fernando Gaviria has tested positive for coronavirus for a second time this year and is out of the Giro d'Italia.

The Colombian tested positive in the Giro's latest round of testing, as did a Team AG2R La Mondiale staff member.

Gaviria also tested positive for Covid-19 at the UAE Tour in February.

He is the fourth rider to test positive at the Giro and will not start Tuesday's 16th stage - therefore ruling him out of the remainder of the race.

His team said he was "immediately isolated" following the test result and is "completely asymptomatic".

"All other riders and staff returned a negative test, and will undergo further testing today," a UAE Team Emirates statement added.

• Most likely a false positive - the Italian tests are not very accurate (tradeoff between accuracy and speed of results). Michael Matthews (and Larry Warbasse a few weeks back) both tested positive in Italy and left rhe race only to twice test negative within 24 hours afterwards.

Again, no mass spread of Covid through the Peloton despite Yates clearly having been positive  and shedding for days. Means bike racing outdoors is perfectly safe. Nobody at BC will take any fucking notice though, so we still won't be allowed to have racing next spring no doubt
  • edited October 2020
    Massive, massive stage today and it's living up to expectations 😁😁😁

What a ride by Dennis. Absolutely monstrous. Over to you Two... 
  • That was absolutely brilliant. The shot on TV from the bottom of the Stelvio before they went up it had me just saying nope.
  • colthe3rd said:
    That was absolutely brilliant. The shot on TV from the bottom of the Stelvio before they went up it had me just saying nope.
    That shot at 60km to go nearly made me fall off the sofa.

And to think they had to cycle up that - madness!
  • That was the most fascinating GT stage since Froome's on the Colle delle Finestre.

Absolutely rivetting.
  • Addickted said:
    colthe3rd said:
    That was absolutely brilliant. The shot on TV from the bottom of the Stelvio before they went up it had me just saying nope.
    That shot at 60km to go nearly made me fall off the sofa.

And to think they had to cycle up that - madness!
    I remember looking at a shot of the col de la Croix de Fer from the Allemont side at the Dauphine a few weeks before I went to the Alps and thinking 'what the f*** have I let myself in for?' - but, surprisingly, I found climbing that easier than some of the climbs round here, like the Lake District - because the surfaces are generally perfect and, whilst it might *look* intimidating to look up and see all those switchbacks, in reality they level the climb out and make it much easier to twiddle up it than a British climb where it goes from 3% to 20% multiple times, and often has brutal stretches at 25% for a couple of hundred metres.

The Stelvio is a different kettle of fish entirely though - because it's SO long and finishes SO high up that, whilst the Glandon, Madelaine, Croix de Fer etc are brutes, none of them compare to those lung-busting efforts, and even sitting down and spinning up it in 36x30 or 34x30 takes a toll after two hours.

I make Geoghegan Hart favourite now, if he can keep it together on the Sestriere stage on Saturday, he's a much better TTer than Hindley and probably around the same as Kelderman - so (provided that wasn't just a jour sans for Kelderman and he's actually struggling, as it appears) he should put time into both of them. The Saturday stage will be amazing - because we could genuinely see three riders within about 10 seconds of each other smashing one another to bits before the TT to try and crack the others :D
  • What a great day, loved watching that. Dennis was immense. 

I think TGH will overtake Kelderman on the Sestriere which will leave us with an exciting TT for the second consecutive Grand Tour!

• Sponsored links:

• I think Sunweb need to have a word with their kit providers.
  • I think Sunweb need to have a word with their kit providers.
    Yes not the greatest advert for Castelli and craft sportswear was it? I will say tho from my experience that doing that in a normal Road race or crit is hard enough let alone at the top of one of the hardest climbs in cycling after smashing yourself for almost 3 weeks. 

First time this year I've had time to watch a full grand tour stage and it didn't disappoint. 

Have no idea who will win it, I'm edging towards Kelderman. If you'd told me at the start of the year that any of Hindley, TGH or Kelderman would win the Giro I wouldn't of believed you, 2020 has been wild. 
  • Seems Kelderman is a bit annoyed Hindley didn't wait for him but sure Hindley did the right thing in following Tao given at the time they had no idea how bad Kelderman had cracked.
  • edited October 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    Seems Kelderman is a bit annoyed Hindley didn't wait for him but sure Hindley did the right thing in following Tao given at the time they had no idea how bad Kelderman had cracked.
    Yup, I agree with you ... although I wish he had waited, then Tao would have won another stage. 
  • Proper ride by Kelderman to stay in touch.  Who wouldn't lose 40 odd seconds on the flat when Dennis is TT'ing through the valley?  He might have struggled from the cold, but only a few riders wouldn't lose time against Dennis.

I don't think it was Castelli's fault!  If you notice the Inneos riders and the other GC riders put their rain macs on 1-2 k before Kelderman and Hindley did.  Less wind, less stress.  Easy said when you're not super stressed and chasing.  If the wind's blowing once it get's over the mountain crest it picks up speed again after the top.

Sunweb have a real problem.  Kelderman's proved twice he's not quite got the legs to keep with a cranked up pace.  Hindley can't win through a TT.  Inneos can ride a real pace with the whole team up the first ascent on the Sestriere.  Then probably have 2-3 riders to support and attack an isolated Hindley over the next 2 smaller ascents.  Only problem is Hindley looks to be the best climber in the race.  Can't see them getting away from Hindley.  So go hard to crack Kelderman but save something for Geoghegan Hart's legs in the TT.

I'd like to see Geoghegan Hart win, but a lot of me would love to see Hindley climb to the win.  Let's hope Swift and Knox make top 20 too.  It's like 98 with the right excuses for a very unique race.
  • Just watched the hi-lights and echo what has already been said, great shift by Dennis, Tao in the hunt and all to play for going into the weekend, love it.
  • The Giro has been brilliant this year. Today’s stage was unmissable. Such a beautiful country.  
  • Bit of a palaver today with the race director threatening to bring in lawyers.  

Hope the severely curtailed stage will be a good one. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Bit of a palaver today with the race director threatening to bring in lawyers.  

Hope the severely curtailed stage will be a good one. 
    Not much will happen it seems. Tomorrow’s the day. 
  • What's predictions for tomorrow then? Ineos to go all out for it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    What's predictions for tomorrow then? Ineos to go all out for it? 
    Dennis and Casytoviejo to go as deep as they possibly can with a relentless pace to discourage sunweb from attacking and try and drop kelderman again, then leave Hindley and TGH to fight it out. TGH will take plenty of time out of Hindley in the TT, it would be much closer with Kelderman 
  • Well done Tao 
  • Fantastic stuff. If Tao does win he needs to offer a blowie to Rohan. 
  • edited October 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    Fantastic stuff. If Tao does win he needs to offer a blowie to Rohan. 
    Rohan has been immense 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Great stage and great race, but I suspect Rohan might just prefer his share of the prize money
  • If I remember rightly it was Ganna for minutes, Castroviejo for seconds, and then Dennis for a climb and a half.  Pretty immense from both Ganna and Dennis.  You never know Inneos might win a Team Trial in the Tour next year - Prudhomme won't play parcours.

Still think Hindley's climbing is the find of the Giro.  Looks like he can compete with the very best when it goes above 2,000m.  He just needs to improve his TT.....
  • colthe3rd said:
    Great stage and great race, but I suspect Rohan might just prefer his share of the prize money
    Why not both? 
  • colthe3rd said:
    You're forgetting that he's an Aussie.
  • Just a thought about today. Should Hindley have not gone a bit earlier? Looked like he had a bit in the tank with those 3 attempts I just wonder whether mentally going with a few more kms to go would have been a lot tougher for Tao to go with especially after the first couple of attempts Hindley seemed to ease off once he realised he hadn't got free
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why not both? 

That’s why