Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where are the goals coming from?

First, I think the club have done a sterling job in reinforcing the squad. Given the League One salary cap and our lateness into it, we can have no complaints.

However, when I look at our striking options I struggle to see who will get the goals we need this season if we are to seriously challenge for promotion. 

Anneke, Bogle, Washington and Smyth are at their peak, aged between 23 and 28. All have league experience at a number of clubs but over the last four seasons, none have scored more than a total of 20 goals. In the circumstances, it might he asking a lot to expect two of them to get into double figures and even then, 15 or more would look like a big ask for any of them. 

So, who's going to be our top scorer and how many?

Comments

• Having watched the Shinnie video of him feeding their speedy RB, maybe he will be feeding Doughty and Smyth on our wings to flash low balls into the box for Aneke and Washington.  

Goals do look the potential issue but if we could share them around the team we may get there and we seem to have more threat from midfield than we did last year.
  • Having watched the Shinnie video of him feeding their speedy RB, maybe he will be feeding Doughty and Smyth on our wings to flash low balls into the box for Aneke and Washington.  

Goals do look the potential issue but if we could share them around the team we may get there and we seem to have more threat from midfield than we did last year.
    I do think our style of play upfront needs to change too if we are to score more. No-one is running onto balls at the moment. Maddison might help improve that but we need more pace and movement in midfield than we have shown so far. Anneke's first touch has typically been hold-up or a flick on. Washington and Smyth have been left with defences to beat.
  • I can see us winning a lot of games being 1-0, 1-1 and 2-1.

It's what Coventry did last season with Godden getting 14 goals and their next top scorer only had 5 - they only scored 46 goals in 34 games and were still Champions.
    Wycombe only scored 45-goals themselves

Say it all the time but to get out of this Division you need to get yourself a good defence, achieve that and you'll win games as you will get chances at this level
    I agree. With Shinnie, Maddison and Doughty you would expect the chances, still got to put them away. But with a solid defence and those 3 amongst others your almost guaranteed to be top 6 even if none of the strikers are prolific. 
  • First, I think the club have done a sterling job in reinforcing the squad. Given the League One salary cap and our lateness into it, we can have no complaints.

However, when I look at our striking options I struggle to see who will get the goals we need this season if we are to seriously challenge for promotion. 

Anneke, Bogle, Washington and Smyth are at their peak, aged between 23 and 28. All have league experience at a number of clubs but over the last four seasons, none have scored more than a total of 20 goals. In the circumstances, it might he asking a lot to expect two of them to get into double figures and even then, 15 or more would look like a big ask for any of them. 

Not sure, but whoever it is I doubt they will get much more than 10 or 12. Washington is ahead with 2 atm, but he is not an out & out striker (his miss at Lincoln showing that he is not a natural no. 9). None of the others have any real goal scoring record, although out of all of them I'd say Bogle could end up our top goalscorer.

Our main problem is that we are just not attack minded enough. No one really wants to have a shot & all like to pass to someone else when in & around the box (even Aneke, who played in Pratley on Saturday instead of having a shot). We do not have a poacher or natural finisher. Does my head in that our academy can produce defender after defender (Jenkinson, Gomez, Konsa) but not a decent striker in years (Defoe......but he never played for the first team). I remember Liverpool fans wondering what would happen once Ian Rush retired, but he was replaced by Robbie Fowler & then he was replaced by Michael Owen !!)

I have said this so many times I sound like a broken record - until you get a 20 goal a season striker you ain't getting out of this league - unless you have 3 or 4 other players chipping in with 12-15 goals each, which is rare & not happening with our team or set up. And to counter some previous posters, both  Wycombe & Coventry only played 34 games last season.

In all our previous promotions going back to 1998, our leading goalscorer had scored 20 goals. (Mendonca, Hunt, BWP, Taylor) 
  • edited October 2020
    First, I think the club have done a sterling job in reinforcing the squad. Given the League One salary cap and our lateness into it, we can have no complaints.

Not sure, but whoever it is I doubt they will get much more than 10 or 12. Washington is ahead with 2 atm, but he is not an out & out striker (his miss at Lincoln showing that he is not a natural no. 9). None of the others have any real goal scoring record, although out of all of them I'd say Bogle could end up our top goalscorer.

Our main problem is that we are just not attack minded enough. No one really wants to have a shot & all like to pass to someone else when in & around the box (even Aneke, who played in Pratley on Saturday instead of having a shot). We do not have a poacher or natural finisher. Does my head in that our academy can produce defender after defender (Jenkinson, Gomez, Konsa) but not a decent striker in years (Defoe......but he never played for the first team). I remember Liverpool fans wondering what would happen once Ian Rush retired, but he was replaced by Robbie Fowler & then he was replaced by Michael Owen !!)

I have said this so many times I sound like a broken record - until you get a 20 goal a season striker you ain't getting out of this league - unless you have 3 or 4 other players chipping in with 12-15 goals each, which is rare & not happening with our team or set up. And to counter some previous posters, both  Wycombe & Coventry only played 34 games last season.

In all our previous promotions going back to 1998, our leading goalscorer had scored 20 goals. (Mendonca, Hunt, BWP, Taylor) 
    The posts just above you detailed how Coventry got out of this league with a top scorer of 14 and 2nd top scorer of 5.  It's possible, but I agree, Charlton's recent history shows we needed a 20 goal striker to get out of the league and even then, through the lottery of the play offs in 18/19. 

The answer to the question in this post is Who Knows?  Bogle has done it in league 2, Smyth is from a championship club, Aneke and Doughty are unknown quantities at this level.  Madison is proven and will chip in with 4-5 goals and more assists.

I feel positive about our chances of play offs again (bowyer just seems to know how to get us there) with a slim chance of autos. 
  • Probably a player I would have thought.
  • Probably a player I would have thought, dunno that’s just 
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably a player I would have thought.
  • First, I think the club have done a sterling job in reinforcing the squad. Given the League One salary cap and our lateness into it, we can have no complaints.

Of the last 9 teams to be promoted from League 1, 7 of them have done so without having a player score 20 or more goals. Only us and Luton have had that player and been promoted. 
  • I've got good feelings. I think with Maddison's creativity, Aneke's strength and skill and Smyth's work rate it's all going to come good. Goals galore, that's what I say.

Of the last 9 teams to be promoted from League 1, 7 of them have done so without having a player score 20 or more goals. Only us and Luton have had that player and been promoted. 
    Maybe they play a different way.....like shooting perhaps. And again, as for last season, the teams mentioned only played 34 games. Their leading goal scorer could well have got around 20 if they had played another 12 matches.

All I know is that In My Experience WE always need a player to get 20+ goals a season. I've highlighted the 4 most recent promotions I've experienced. Can't remember back to 1985 - Pearson got a few but not 20 I think.  Melrose chipped in with a few too, but he only played from March (?) onwards. 
  • I wonder what Sillav Nitram thinks. Let's ask him!
    I think maybe Sir Les Patterson was a bit pissed.......
  • Looking back on our previous top 6 finishes in L1 (in recent times), generally we've scored 1.5 goals per game to reach the playoffs, scoring 1.78 in the Powell title season. In 17/18 we were very poor in front of goal, but somehow scraped 6th. 

In 2009/10 we finished 4th with 71 goals
    In 2011/12 we won L1 with 82 goals, the 3rd best - Sheffield United scored 92 in coming 3rd
    In 2017/18 we finished 6th with 58 goals, Wigan winning with 89
    In 2018/19 we finished 3rd with 73 goals, but were still the lowest scoring of the top 6 - Luton scored 90 that season in winning the title
  • 20 a season strikers are rarer than rocking horse shit 

I'm pretty happy we have some players to choose from, they need to get at least 5 each. Whilst I mainly thought centre forwards just whinged all the time when I was playing it wasn't until I had a season up front that you realise the pressure you are under and the abominable service you get. Spend a game chasing lost causes and having about 5 touches of the ball can wear even the most confident centre forward down its a high turnover position too. Have 3 or 4 games without a goal and people will expect to see you dropped

Midfielders can play all season as number 8s or wingers and are not really under the same pressure to score. Bowyer has called out Williams and rightly so, hes got high standards and Williams plays very advanced, sees a lot of the ball in those areas so you must see a return wither in final balls or hitting the target 

I'd back Washington to get at least 5, same for Aneke, Bogle, Maddison and Shinnie there's your 25 goals Doughty I think will be our most prolific player personally once the reigns are taken off him and he's got space ahead to run into 

We have some players in Forster Caskey, Morgan, Watson and Maddison who can deliver a dead ball well and players who are going to be horrible to defend against attacking said dead balls. Innis, Prattley, Watson, Famewo there's another 7 at least 

Coventry scored 48 in 34 so that equates to 1.41 goals per game or 65 goals for a 46 match season
    Top scorer = 14 therefore expected to score 19 in a full season
    2nd top scorer = 5 therefore expected to score 7 in a full season
    That leaves 39 goals to be scored by approximately 18 other outfield players which equates to an average of just over 2 goals each per game

Wycombe scored 45 in 34 so that equates to 1.33 goals per game or 60 goals for a 46 match season
    Top scorer = 10 therefore expected to score 14 in a full season
    2nd top scorer = 9 therefore expected to score 12 in a full season
    That leaves 34 goals to be scored by approximately 18 other outfield players which equates to an average of less than 2 goals each per game

In 2017-18 we scored just 58 goals and our top scorer was Josh Magennis and he managed 10 - but we still made the play offs

So, as good as it would be to have a 20 goal a season striker, it isn't absolutely necessary to go up. LB isn't an adventurous manager but will set up the team to play to their strengths which is why I suggested that we will probably have a lot of 1-0, 1-1. 2-1 and possibly 2-0 results. 

• Carter said:
    20 a season strikers are rarer than rocking horse shit 

I'm pretty happy we have some players to choose from, they need to get at least 5 each. Whilst I mainly thought centre forwards just whinged all the time when I was playing it wasn't until I had a season up front that you realise the pressure you are under and the abominable service you get. Spend a game chasing lost causes and having about 5 touches of the ball can wear even the most confident centre forward down its a high turnover position too. Have 3 or 4 games without a goal and people will expect to see you dropped

Midfielders can play all season as number 8s or wingers and are not really under the same pressure to score. Bowyer has called out Williams and rightly so, hes got high standards and Williams plays very advanced, sees a lot of the ball in those areas so you must see a return wither in final balls or hitting the target 

I'd back Washington to get at least 5, same for Aneke, Bogle, Maddison and Shinnie there's your 25 goals Doughty I think will be our most prolific player personally once the reigns are taken off him and he's got space ahead to run into 

We have some players in Forster Caskey, Morgan, Watson and Maddison who can deliver a dead ball well and players who are going to be horrible to defend against attacking said dead balls. Innis, Prattley, Watson, Famewo there's another 7 at least 

Last season was unusual - I don't think we can expect top 6 based on the scoring rates Coventry and Wycombe achieved - thus we're going to need at least 70 goals, so the likes of Washington, Aneke and Bogle will surely need double figures?

Joe Aribo got 9 in 2018/19, Jacko 12 in 2011/12, Hollands 7 in that season, it's crucial that midfielders score heavily as well, Maddison being the main hope
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Carter said:

Last season was unusual - I don't think we can expect top 6 based on the scoring rates Coventry and Wycombe achieved - thus we're going to need at least 70 goals, so the likes of Washington, Aneke and Bogle will surely need double figures?

Joe Aribo got 9 in 2018/19, Jacko 12 in 2011/12, Hollands 7 in that season, it's crucial that midfielders score heavily as well, Maddison being the main hope
    But, as I say, we made the play offs in 2017/18 with just 58 goals and Shrewsbury who came 3rd with 87 points only managed 60 goals themselves. Our top scorers were Magennis (10), Fosu-Henry (9), Holmes (6), Aribo (5), JFC (5) and another 12 players chipped in with 22 goals between them. That season 14 of our 20 wins were either 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 and Shrewsbury managed 21 wins by the same scorelines.
  • Carter said:

But, as I say, we made the play offs in 2017/18 with just 58 goals. And our top scorers were Magennis (10), Fosu-Henry (9), Holmes (6), Aribo (5), JFC (5) and another 12 players chipped in with 22 goals between them. That season 14 of our 20 wins were either 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 
    We scraped into the playoffs though, 27 points behind Wigan who won the title, 25 behind Blackburn in 3rd and 16 behind Shrewsbury in 3rd! That wasn't a good team, it was a miracle that Bowyer dragged us into 6th!
  • Carter said:

But, as I say, we made the play offs in 2017/18 with just 58 goals. And our top scorers were Magennis (10), Fosu-Henry (9), Holmes (6), Aribo (5), JFC (5) and another 12 players chipped in with 22 goals between them. That season 14 of our 20 wins were either 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 
    We scraped into the playoffs though, 27 points behind Wigan who won the title, 25 behind Blackburn in 3rd and 16 behind Shrewsbury in 3rd! That wasn't a good team, it was a miracle that Bowyer dragged us into 6th!
    I've just added the bit about Shrewsbury only scoring 60 goals themselves
  • And I'm not saying we will do it without a 20 goal a season player but I am saying that it is possible.  I'm equally not siggesting automatic either. But, if we go back to last season and how LB set the team up (and I'm not saying I like watching football played like that) he tried to nick games 1-0. Relatively speaking, we should have more goal threats from more areas in this division and our defence, again relatively speaking, should be stronger.
  • Carter said:

Actually they're not
  • Carter said:

Actually they're not
    They are for us. 3 times in the last 20 seasons?
  • Off_it said:
    Carter said:

Actually they're not
    They are for us. 3 times in the last 20 seasons?
    And the last time you saw rocking horse shit was ........................................ ?
  • edited October 2020
    Posted this in the transfer rumours thread after everyone was kicking up a stink about not getting a 20 goal striker...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4075624/#Comment_4075624

Promoted teams top scorers:

19/20: 
    Coventry - Matt Godden (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Rotherham - Freddie Ladapo (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Wycombe - Adebayo Akinfenwa (10 - 13 or 14 in a full season)

18/19:
    Luton - James Collins (25)
    Barnsley - Kieffer Moore (17)
    Charlton - Lyle Taylor (21)

17/18:
    Wigan - Will Grigg (19)
    Blackburn - Bradley Dack (18)
    Rotherham - Kieffer Moore (13)

Only two of the last nine clubs promoted from this division have had a 20+ goal man in their squad.
  • edited October 2020
    Then a couple of posts later @stoneroses19 lists all the clubs with a 20+ goal man and where they finished... it’s really not as magic a number as people believe. Their post is below.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4075632/#Comment_4075632

After seeing some post that we won't get promoted or even top 6 as we haven't signed a proven 20+ goalscorer, thought I'd take a look at the last few League 1 seasons to see how many players have scored 20 or more, and where that club finished.  

19/20 (season wasn't completed)
    Toney - Peterborough finished 7th

18/19
    Collins - Luton finished 1st
    Eaves - Gillingham finished 13th
    Marquis - Doncaster finished 6th
    Taylor - We finished 3rd
    Henderson - Rochdale finished 16th

17/18
    Marriott - Peterborough finished 9th
    Pitman - Portsmouth finished 8th

16/17