Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Match Thread | Saturday 17th October

Comments

• Marcus Maddison misses out with a minor ankle injury... Maatsen just doesnt make the team today
  • Shame about Maddison, especially after a 2 week break.
  • Blimey, Maddison injured already! Hopefully it is minor as they say. 
  • edited October 2020
    Decent first eleven from Wigan, certainly enough to cause us problems

Their bench doesnt scare me though
  • Totally different team than the one vs Sunderland.. as expected i guess. Should be interesting to see how they get on together.
  • Who's playing on the left today? 
  • Jfc left back? 
  • 3 5 2 is my guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only two formations I can see

Amos
    Inniss | Pratley | Famewo
    Gunter | Watson | Forster-Caskey | Shinnie | Doughty
    Aneke | Smyth

OR

Amos
    Gunter | Inniss | Famewo | Forster-Caskey
    Watson | Pratley | Shinnie
    Smyth | Aneke | Doughty
  •                        Amos
               Pratley Innis Famwo
    Gunter                             Doughty
        Watson, Shinnie, Forster-Caskey
                      Smyth Aneke

I would guess. Midfield seems a little defensive to me. Full backs going to have to do a lot of the work. 

• Washington and Bogle on the bench?
    who's up top?
  • Washington and Bogle on the bench?
    who's up top?
    Aneke and Smyth
  • edited October 2020
    Vennings now on the bench instead of Purrington

• International pass now up to £10 :(
  • Richard Cawley
    Teamsheet has a mistake - Purrington is on the bench and not Vennings. I’m told the person responsible has been sacked on the spot.
  • At least we have lots of bench options now 
  • Good selection (it's almost what I would have picked :wink:) surprised with the inclusion of JFC but I have no idea who has trained well and who has recovered from mid week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this when JFC does a Wagstaff and hits form when on the cusp of obsolescence 
  • Richard Cawley
    Teamsheet has a mistake - Purrington is on the bench and not Vennings. I’m told the person responsible has been sacked on the spot.
    Finally the back of kehones
  • Leuth said:
    Is this when JFC does a Wagstaff and hits form when on the cusp of obsolescence 
    "Cusp of obsolescence" ha ha

Amos
    Aneke | Smyth

OR

Amos
    Smyth | Aneke | Doughty
    I couldn't see JFC as a conventional fullback ....... wingback, yes - we saw him put in a 1st class performance away at Fulham last season.

But logically he's in a central midfield 3 alongside Watson, with Shinnie playing the '10' as CAM playmaker.

Amos
    Aneke | Smyth

OR

Amos
    Smyth | Aneke | Doughty
    I'm not digging you out because we are having a discussion on the chris solly thread, I agree with your formations based on the starting 11 but why would forster caskey be starting over purrington at left back?
  • edited October 2020
    Only two formations I can see

Amos
    Aneke | Smyth

OR

Amos
    Smyth | Aneke | Doughty
    I'm not digging you out because we are having a discussion on the chris solly thread, I agree with your formations based on the starting 11 but why would forster caskey be starting over purrington at left back?
    On this if we play 3 across the back, I feel like Innis will probably be the CB. With his height and nastiness, and being a proper CB I imagine he will be the one to sit deepest.

That being said, he could be better on the ball than Pratley. 

Amos
    Aneke | Smyth

OR

Amos
    Smyth | Aneke | Doughty
    Sorry mate but that first bit is ridiculous... Wouldnt think that your digging me out purely because of another conversation on another thread!! - I agree though, having Forster-Caskey in a back four would be crazy with two Left-Backs left out, although Bowyer has done that before - Would be really surprised as a result if it doesnt involve Doughty as Wing-Back 
  • edited October 2020
    Looks like we're potentially going with four at the back... diamond formation perhaps?

Midfield of:

Pratley
    Watson | Forster-Caskey
    Shinnie
  • I'm thinking that's us starting with a 3-5-2 with old man Prats at the back, flanked by the 2 new CBs.

Chuks up top to make the ball stick.

But I'm thinking our midfield is set up to provide Shinnie a platform to be playmaker, threading killer forward passes for Smyth and Doughty with their pace to exploit space behind their defence.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!