Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wigan | Saturday 17th October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic
Saturday 17th October 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ollie Yates (Staffordshire)

Introduction
Well after the first International break, Charlton return to action with another fixture at the Valley - With such a depleted squad it will probably worked to our advantage having the Ipswich game put back until November at the earliest. Lee Bowyer and his men will this Saturday be looking to continue their unbeaten run in October, an unforgettable 0-0 draw was the result last time out against a weaker Sunderland side compared to 2018/19 which confirmed we should lose hope of an instant return to the Championship - This Saturday we welcome Wigan Athletic to the Valley, its a game at a level that neither deserve to be playing at!!

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic (16th) | Manager: John Sheridan
Ground: DW Stadium
Last Result: Crewe Alexandra 3-0 Wigan Athletic

With all the debate around COVID-19 its perhaps fortunate for the Football League that this is a game being played behind closed doors - 2019/20 would see our opponents making a sluggish start to the season yet come 2020 would show a run of form under Paul Cook that can only be applauded, in fact had they improved a little sooner then a Play-Off place may not have been out of the question. Yet the Owners and Directors Test would once again rear its ugly head and prove that improvements need to be made; Wigan earning their own takeover would likewise fall foul to questionable characters, a 1-1 draw on the final day of ths season against Fulham was met with tears on the pitch when it should have been a group of players celebrating a remarkable mid-table achievement!!

And so like in South East London it would be brief summer of discontent, would the Latics be allowed to even start in League One? - Well thankfully they were given permission but their own latest takeover appears to rumble on with no clear sign of a magical horizon like the one we've achieved, player after player would join Paul Cook in departing the club with other sides picking over their assets like a vulture would over a carcass; Jamal Lowe moving for £500k when signed for £2m a clear sign of the perrils of Administration!!

What we need to remember this weekend though is that Wigan arent another case like Bolton, however harsh their points deduction was, they've at least been able to start on the same number of points as everyone else which at this level gives them a good chance of competing. In terms of players; the likes of Joe Garner and Will Keane give them options up front, whilst they have the experience of Lee Evans and newly signed: Curtis Tilt in Midfield and Defence respectively... Its a good opportunity this weekend for the Addicks to record their second win of the season, like our last meeting at the Valley though, we shouldnt expect the Latics to simply roll over... After all both clubs have shown they never give up without a fight!!

Charlton Team News
So with today being Transfer Deadline Day it also means a delayed Match Preview... Come 5pm today I wont be surprised in the slightest if there are additions to the team, although should any want to be involved tomorrow then they have to be signed (not announced) before midday; Paul Smyth from Queens Park Rangers and Sorba Thomas from Boreham Wood the latest rumours.

In terms of our current squad then we can now call up three new signings which surely give us the balance that we've been so sorely missing of late; Chris Gunter reported for training for the first time yesterday (after signing whilst on International duty), he was joined in the building by fellow defenders; Ryan Inniss and Ian Maatsen from Crystal Palace and Chelsea respectively... Whilst the latter may have to start from the bench, you could certainly see Gunter and Inniss adding to the history books!!

Amos
Gunter | Inniss | Famewo | Purrington
Levitt | Watson | Williams
Maddison
Bogle | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Maatsen | Pratley | Forster-Caskey | Shinnie | Aneke | Smyth

Prediction
Its certainly an interesting encounter this weekend; Wigan have a good squad but at the same time feel its one that may be lacking in an attempt to achieve promotion this year - Whilst the Addicks have been slow to get going it feels like we need to start getting maximum points on the board if we want to start climbing the table... With our opponents having lost 3-0 to Crewe last time out you'd think that we can record our first victory in the Thomas Sandgaard era, that required balance being oh so important and clear with Lee Bowyer finally able to play people in their natural positions!!

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Yeah @Dazzler I was reading the Wigan Preview and saw our team from last time out which reminded me to re-add Washington...

I'd even left out Levitt as well

One of those previews where I swear I thought I'd remembered everyone but still felt as though I was forgetting someone
  • Great preview FA.

2-1 Charlton, Maddison and Washington

• Yeah @Dazzler I was reading the Wigan Preview and saw our team from last time out which reminded me to re-add Washington...

I'd even left out Levitt as well

One of those previews where I swear I thought I'd remembered everyone but still felt as though I was forgetting someone
    I keep forgetting Levitt, he's not been particularly memorable so far, but he's our only fit non-cdm other than JFC who is out of favour. 
  • edited October 2020
    Would happily take a terrible 1-0. Proper scrappy game and a goal from a set piece. Need to get the first home win of the season.

Washington with the goal.

With three matches next week, I imagine we will see Bowyer resting certain players for them to play 90 minutes against Blackpool on Tuesday.
  • edited October 2020
    Good preview FA , no idea what the team might look like, with all the comings and goings , but, I think with the new players buzz and general good feeling around the club , will have enough to see us win. 2 -1 Charlton , Washington and Maddison with the goals.
  • Wigan's squad has been decimated, their inspirational manager has left .. we have achieved stability and signed a bunch of potentially good players .. there can only be one result, a home win against our fellow Athletics 

CAFC 2 v Wigan Athletic 0
  • Sponsored links:

• We could well have the situation tomorrow where only one outfield player has made more than FOUR appearances in total for us.

And that may never have happened to us since the Club's inception! 
  • Home win - a nice comfortable 3-0. 
  • We could well have the situation tomorrow where only one outfield player has made more than FOUR appearances in total for us.

Should suit our overriding impression during 2020 of players looking like they've never met each other before  ;)
  • edited October 2020
    I see this as the first proper game of the Sandgaard era so hopefully we get the win. Going to be tough as we have just basically got our squad together but with Wigan’s current troubles I expect a win. Charlton 2 Wigan 0. COYR’s.
  • A couple of edits:
    Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Gunter | Inniss | Famewo | Maatsen
    Watson
    Maddison         |    Doughty
    Shinnie
    Bogle | Washington
    Subs: M.Brewer, Purrington, Pratley,Levitt, Smyth, Williams, Aneke
    2-2
  • Do not forget, not all of our players are match fit, probably be a couple of weeks before we see them at their best
  • The real first game of our season. 
  • Its all set up. Useful transfer window. New owner in town to ACTUALLY attend. Real anticipation from legions of Addicks.

0-1 to Wigan
  • If things had been normal, we would have had a decent crowd in, and I agree, we would have lost.
    But things aren't normal, so I will go for a 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've NO idea what out starting 11 will be, especially as we have a game on tuesday as well

Washington played most of game for N Ireland on Wednesday, and won't have got back until late
    Bogle - not match fit (as per Bowyer)
    Aneke - ongoing fitness issues
    Williams - only a sub on Wednesday, but still only got back late, ditto Levitt (and Gunter who was on the bench)
    Shinnie and Smyth - match fit to start?
    Maddison - ready to start yet?
    Maatsen - will Bowyer want to throw an 18 year old into a match alongside an inexperienced centre back combination?
  • edited October 2020
    How I want us to lineup:

Probable lineup:

Yes, I know it’s spelt Inniss.
  • I wouldnt even mind swapping either Williams or Levitt with Shinnie

And Maddison for Doughty in the second line up
  • Well hopefully we will be a bit stronger afyer the recent additions. Still think back to a few weeks ago, beat Wigan and we would have stayed up. But we were not good enough then and this might be a tough ask as well. 1-1 and the wait for a win continues.
  • How I want us to lineup:

Probable lineup:

Yes, I know it’s spelt Inniss.
    Brilliant post! 😂
  • edited October 2020
    0-1 - Inniss with the goal 
  • I'm optimistic that we can now start our season proper with 3 points, 2-0 Addicks, Washington and Maddison
  • Very pleased with how things are going, so without really knowing how they will line up I'll happily say 3-1 us.
  • 0-1 - Inniss with the goal 
    Or even Jessica Ennis  ;)