Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Untaxed cars in driveway, can I report and remove?

Hi, so longish story short. I live in small set of flats 3 levels high, with a driveway area outside for residents. Now a couple months ago a guy who lived here got kicked out by his landlord, he has left two cars just sitting in the driveway.

Both are untaxed for over 6 months and both are causing issue as its made space to get in and out tight, but one is also by a clogged drain which isn't coping with the recent rain and we need someone to come sort that out.

When I checked the tax status it didn't look like a SORN was declared, it just said untaxed, so am I right that I can report this to the DVLA as it seemed unclear about this in relation to what is essentially a private parking area?

Comments

• I contacted the police and DVLA about a similar issue recently and both said it would be the council who would remove the vehicle(s).
  • How about the freeholder or their managing agent?
  • Is this on private land?
  • The managing agent can either put the ball in the landlords hands as it is ultimately his responsibility OR work with him to obtain a forwarding address for the evicted tenant.
    Once obtained give the bloke 14 days to remove the cars. One problem that may arise is whether the council/scrapper will remove the cars without a log book.
  • If DVLA confirm they're neither taxed or sorn, reckon it's a council job mate
  • Moved out from a lease hold flat not long ago, my neighbour had an abandoned untaxed car in his space on private land car park, wait for it, for a year!

It is the job of the land owner I believe, and they weren’t very helpful, maybe the land owner has the pay a charge for the council to take it away?  I’m not 100% on this by the way this is just hallway chat I had with the neighbour. 

In the end we were both in agreement that the best course of action was to crack the window, take the hand break off and roll it into the pavement/road, so it would become the councils job, unorthodox yes, but it would get the job done!
    not easy to move around with a steering lock.
  • Nine posts in and no mention of a Range Rover. Standards on here are slipping
  • Can you get hold of 3 or 4 trolley jacks and a couple of mates/neighbours?
    No need for criminal damage (broken windows, steering locks)
    One under each corner of the chassis, wheel em out onto the public road unscrew the number plates, report them as abandoned on fixmystreet website or similar (imagine that can be anonymous)
    Council and plod then will be on notice
    Your landlord and the freeholder are absolutely responsible but as we all know there's naff all chance they'll lift a finger
    Van up our road appeared to be abandoned for a few months - reported to plod and council thru official channels - no action at all
    Van got lightly vandalised - RFL had long since expired - reported again to council "vehicle already notified, matter in hand" nothing for another month
    Reg plates went missing - van reported again - gone in a week
  • Sponsored links:

• Nine posts in and no mention of a Range Rover. Standards on here are slipping
    This. If you know somebody with a Range Rover they’d be able to use a tow rope to move the cars out of the way.
  • Can you get hold of 3 or 4 trolley jacks and a couple of mates/neighbours?
    No need for criminal damage (broken windows, steering locks)
    One under each corner of the chassis, wheel em out onto the public road unscrew the number plates, report them as abandoned on fixmystreet website or similar (imagine that can be anonymous)
    Council and plod then will be on notice
    Your landlord and the freeholder are absolutely responsible but as we all know there's naff all chance they'll lift a finger
    Van up our road appeared to be abandoned for a few months - reported to plod and council thru official channels - no action at all
    Van got lightly vandalised - RFL had long since expired - reported again to council "vehicle already notified, matter in hand" nothing for another month
    Reg plates went missing - van reported again - gone in a week
    You're worried about criminal damage, but not about illegally dumping a car on a public road?  I think that would probably bring a heavier penalty?
  • edited October 2020
    A damaged car was left in some garages near my house. It wasn't blocking the garages or the access road. It didn't move for ages and each time I walked past it there was more damage, including kids jumping off the garage roof onto the car. 
    I contacted Southampton City Council on there website filling in a short form that included the cars registration number and within three days it was gone.
    Looking at the problems others have encountered can I just say well done to SCC.