Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer 2020

Well, spring training is here and the 2020 season is warming up...
Some interesting moves the winter, not to mention the sign stealing controversy involving two of the last three World Series winners!
So who’s your money on? My predictions follow. Please feel free to completely disagree.  :)

AL East.
Can’t see beyond the Yanks here, although I don’t think it will be the cakewalk predicted by some. Redsox will surely have a transitional year after losing Betts, Price, Porcello and, maybe most importantly, Cora. There may be a bad smell following the Redsox around for a while after the sign stealing scandal too, so it’s probably best they have a rebuild year.
Rays could be a player this year. Less convinced by the Jays. Orioles look like another year of shite.
My prediction:
1 Yanks
2 Rays
3 Blue Jays
4 Redsox
5 Orioles

AL Central.
Three horse race here, but Twins should win it. The Indians and the improving White Sox may push them close, but I think they’ll have to settle for respectability. The Royals need a miracle to compete, while the Tigers might as well stay in bed.
My prediction:
1 Twins
2 Indians
3 White Sox
4 Royals
5 Tigers

AL West.
Like the Redsox, the Astros are tainted at the moment, but the difference is that they’ve still got a good team of players. However, I think their off field issues may just open the division up a little. I still fancy them to be there or thereabouts, but I’m going to go bold and say they won’t win the division. My money is on the A’s to pip them, with the Angels and Rangers trailing behind. The Mariners may well be the whipping boys, unless they’ve found some magic in their off season trades.
My prediction:
1 A’s
2 Astros
3 Angels
4 Rangers
5 Mariners

NL East.
Looks like the Braves will win this again, even though the Nats are the reigning World Series Champs. I’d expect the Nats, Mets and Phillies to all be competitive though, so could be interesting. The Marlins will probably improve on last year, but they’ll still be toilet.
My prediction:
1 Braves
2 Nats
3 Mets
4 Phillies
5 Marlins

NL Central.
Expect this one to be close again. There have been some close finishes in the NL Central in recent years and I reckon we could be in for another one. Many are getting excited by the Reds after their busy offseason, but I think the Cards will win this one. Don’t rule out the Brewers either and the Cubs will almost certainly have a say, though I fear it might be another step back for them before they step forward. The Pirates look like they might be a mess on the diamond, but like charlton, they’ve at least got their house in order behind the scenes and look to be looking more long term.
My prediction:
1 Cards
2 Reds
3 Brewers
4 Cubs
5 Pirates

NL West.
Like the AL East, this one should be a foregone conclusion. The Dodgers were already looking strong, but acquiring Betts and Price should secure their season. The Padres continue to improve year on year and have shown signs of breaking out, but I think their time is still a year or two away, but they could be in with a shout of the wildcard. The Dbacks could also be involved in the wildcard race, but don’t expect too much from the Rockies or Giants who don’t really look that interested in turning up.
My prediction:
1 Dodgers
2 Padres
3 Diamondbacks
4 Rockies
5 Giants

Postseason AL:
Wildcards: Astros beat Indians

ALDS
Yanks beat Astros
Twins beat A’s

ALCS
Yanks beat Twins

Postseason NL:
Wildcards: Reds beat Padres

NLDS
Dodgers beat Reds
Braves beat Cards

NLCS
Dodgers beat Braves

WORLD SERIES
Yanks beat Dodgers

Full disclosure - this final prediction is my head ruling my heart.
Please please please, Anyone but the Yanks.
Unfortunately, I think they’ll do it this year.  :(

Comments

• You have far too much time on your hands. 
  • Ok, I’ll try again!

Shortened season coming up starting Thursday.
    Im not changing my predictions because I can’t be arsed. 😎

Who’s your money on and who will you be cheering on?
  • edited July 2020
    Their first year without Boch and despite their overall mediocrity I’ll be rooting for the Giants again!
  • Cards off to a winning start.

The 60 game season mainly against other divisional sides might suit them but with a 16 team play-off anything other than reaching the post season will be a disaster.
  • The year from hell continues. Giants give up a five run lead in the ninth and then lose in the extra inning. It's deja vu all over again... 

• edited August 2020
    Cards off to a winning start.

The 60 game season mainly against other divisional sides might suit them but with a 16 team play-off anything other than reaching the post season will be a disaster.
    Completing 60 games would be an achievement right now @Henry Irving
    What a joke.
    How the fuck are you supposed to manage a rotation and bullpen with daily double headers week after week?
    And the thought that there may only be one more season before the DH becomes permanent for the NL is truly sad. 
  • I like the DH rule, also on days double headers are taking place those games are only going 7 innings. This short season means every game means a little more. 
  • Cards off to a winning start.

Completing 60 games would be an achievement right now @Henry Irving
    What a joke.
    How the fuck are you supposed to manage a rotation and bullpen with daily double headers week after week?
    And the thought that there may only be one more season before the DH becomes permanent for the NL is truly sad. 
    Whole season messed up. Normally they'd have time to recover but not now.

Oh, well there's always 2021
  • edited August 2020

Rust? What rust? Cards sweep Double Header from Sox

Cardinals 5 White Sox 1
    Cardinals 6 White Sox 3 

I love these double headers, day after day.
    And how about that Dedicated Hitter? Great innovation for the NL.
    Gonna be YUGE. 

:) 

• Rust? What rust? Cards sweep Double Header from Sox

Cardinals 5 White Sox 1
    Cardinals 6 White Sox 3 

I love these double headers, day after day.
    And how about that Dedicated Hitter? Great innovation for the NL.
    Gonna be YUGE. 

:) 

Was just about to post similar.  Only 3.5 games behind and in a play off spot.

I like the inter league "local" derbies too.

Still not sure about the DH
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2020
    You two bugger off. I’m a White Sox fan. I watched both games last night , very depressing 
  • Giants 23 Rockies 5. WTF?  :)
    Wow, is that some sort of record?
    Don't think so, Texans beat Orioles 30-3 as recently as 2007
  • Dickerson hit 3 homers and six RBIs. 16 bases in total, which tied Willy Mays 59 year old record. One run in the 9th would have made them the 20th team in history to score in every inning. 

I am not sure about highest team score or highest win, as all my searching has not revealed that stat. It all seems to be about individual records or team records over a season.      

• sam3110 said:
    Giants 23 Rockies 5. WTF?  :)
    Don't think so, Texans beat Orioles 30-3 as recently as 2007
    I think that the modern (post 1900) record. 

I saw the Red Sox bear Florida 25-8 years ago. I remember they scored 10 runs before the first out of the first inning, and Florida used three pitchers in the first. I think the Sox scored 14 runs in the first inning. Everyone could then concentrate on drinking.  
  • edited September 2020
    I have now been informed that for the Giants it equaled the post war record for both runs and hits. Dickerson would have had another home run in any other ball park in the country, but in Colorado 414 feet is just too short to clear the boundary fence in the direction he hit it...   
  • The ball travels further in Colorado because of the high altitude, so I’m not sure that would have happened. Still it was an amazing performance. 
  • Boo

Cards out at wild card stage
  • edited October 2020
    Boo

Cards out at wild card stage

On the cards  :s  after the bullpen blew it in game 2.
    4 of the 8 NL WC from Central indicated that it had the weakest not the strongest contenders and so it proved with all 4 departing.
    CUBBIES too !!!!!!  .....shame   :D
  • Sponsored links:

• I know the postseason was expanded, but happy to see that all 10 of my picks for the postseason in my OP made it to the wildcard stage. In fact, I predicted 14 out of the 16 postseason teams to finish top 3 in their leagues. The only exceptions were the Cubs, (who I predicted 4th in what was always going to be a tight league and which, in the end, sent 4 teams to the postseason) and my only real misjudgment, the Marlins, who have been FAR better than I expected.

Don’t really mind who wins it all now. As long as it’s not the yanks of course. 
    Looking at season form it ought to be the Dodgers, but we’ve said that a couple of times in the last few years now!
  • Rays beat Yanks.
  • ALCS: Rays v Astros
    NLCS: Dodgers v Braves

Both series best of 7.
  • Astros progress and the Yankees are out. LOL
  • Tampa Bay make the world series beating the Astros 4 - 3

Dodgers tied 3 - 3 with Atlanta
  • edited October 2020
    Dodgers win NLCS game 7 so we have a Rays Dodgers WS.
  • Dodgers win NLCS game 7 so we have a Rays Dodgers WS.
    The right teams made it.
    The two best records over the 60 games played during the season, so they both deserve to be there.
    Really don’t mind who wins this. Hoping for another 4-3 either way.
  • Also don’t mind who wins. I have a link to LA via tonnes of family time over the last 20 hrs in California and they also have Mookie Betts which is good enough reason.

But the Rays are a great advert to how the US sports system prevents year after year of the same guys winning. 
  • What a game that was! And what a finish! 
    Lead went back and forth and then a crazy final at bat with a misfield, a runner tripping over just short of home plate and a balls-up from the catcher. All leading to a walkoff win for the Rays.
    Now 2-2 with 3 to play.
    Terrific.
  • edited October 2020
    Haha! Cracking interview there with Brett Phillips who hit the single that ended up driving in the winning run. Peripheral player thrown into the action at the death. He’s absolutely buzzing as you’d expect, but his reaction was great - running round the diamond, arms out like an aeroplane getting chased down and mobbed by his ecstatic teammates - utter joy.
    I love this game sometimes. 😀